Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Do you follow a certain diet?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Do you follow a certain diet?

Old 07-19-19, 01:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I'm on the lutefisk diet.
I had to look up lutefisk:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

See that this is available on Amazon:

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-19-19, 01:48 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Pig, chicken, cow, fish and vegetables. I have excellent bloodwork especially after the doc put me on 10mg of Crestor
Old 07-19-19, 02:03 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10952 Post(s)
Liked 4,608 Times in 2,114 Posts
I have radiation damage to my small intestines so I have to follow a FODMAP diet (google is your friend) and then I tend to have high glucose readings so I have to combine my FODMAP with a low sugar diet. Strangely enough, it isn't that hard even though its a fairly restrictive diet and coincidentally, it makes a decent cycling diet, too.

Old 07-19-19, 02:11 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10952 Post(s)
Liked 4,608 Times in 2,114 Posts
Moving to the Training and Nutrition section.

Old 07-19-19, 02:34 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I prepare all my food at home...I eat mostly vegetarian high carb diet which also includes eggs and yogurt or kefir... I eat a small serving of meat only 2-3 times per week
Old 07-19-19, 03:14 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
I'm on the lutefisk diet. It's the new hot thing, it's based on exhaustive research of Viking Sagas as well as forensic evidence from archaeological sites throughout northern Europe. If it's good enough to fuel hungry warriors on their way to pillage Lindisfarne or establish a dynasty in northern France that will dominate European politics for several centuries, then by god it's good enough for me!

For breakfast I have a lutefisk omelet made with graylag goose eggs, lutefisk, and gjetost.

For mid-morning snack I have a smoothie made from pureed lutefisk, fish stock, and just a hint of lingonberries.

For lunch I have a sandwich made with flatbrød and a lutefisk paste.

Afternoon snack -- another lutefisk smoothie! Yum!

Dinner is usually a simple affair, some cold lutefisk and perhaps a boiled potato or two.

Of course, as hard as it may be to believe, sometimes I'd like a little variety from lutefisk! So I allow myself a bit of a cheat with some fresh smoked eel! Delish!

Since starting this diet I've lost 33 pounds, I've gained 33 watts over a 40k TT, and I've managed to conquer a sizeable portion of the Orkney Islands!

This post sponsored by the Lutefisk Harversters and Processors Consortium of Glomfjord.

"The moment every traveler lives for is the native dinner where, throwing caution to the wind and plunging into a local delicacy which ought by rights to be disgusting, one discovers that it is not only delicious but that it also contradicts a previously held prejudice about food, that it expands ones culinary horizons to include surprising new smells, tastes, and textures.

Lutefisk is not such a dish."

The Power of Lutefisk
Old 07-19-19, 04:17 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
Originally Posted by magelarsen
What's up, guys? I just joined!

I am just wondering if anyone here is following a diet like vegetarian, vegan, paleo, keto, low-carb-high-fat, non-glutten, etc.?

If yes, why do you do it and how it has affected your stamina/performance in cycling?

Thank you for reading!
Ovo-lacto-pisco organic "vegetarian". Also an approximation of the Mediterranean Diet. I supplement with whey protein isolate. No soda. No dessert except for dinner parties. Essentially no snacks in the house. We have one small square of high-end chocolate every night after dinner for a treat.

I do it because I like to eat that way, and oddly enough, so does my wife. For the second part of that question, I wouldn't have the slightest idea, since I've been eating in that manner since 1970. However by inference one might say it's worked well for me as I still do big rides in the mountains. 10 hour, 10,000' ride coming up next Thursday. Not dead yet, no cancer, no diabetes, no physical issues other than age, which is an issue I'm happy to have at the moment.

I experimented with low fat, disaster. I experimented with low carb, disaster. Mixed macros works well for me. I'm healthiest when I eat my wife's cooking, what can I say? BMI ~23 at the moment.
Old 07-19-19, 04:44 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Seafood. Sea food, eat it.
Old 07-19-19, 04:46 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I had to look up lutefisk:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

See that this is available on Amazon:

Be careful, it seems that people who put those things on their cars drive fishy.
Old 07-19-19, 05:05 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Vegetarian. Not related to exercise. Works great. Indian food is delicious. 😀
Old 07-19-19, 06:02 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 3,299 Posts
Seeing how anything you eat is part of your diet, then I'd say everyone has their own diet.

I'm currently high in vegetables and fruit intake and fairly low on the meat consumption. For a couple years soon after I started riding seriously for health and putting in 150 miles a week or better I went completely vegetarian. It was some of my better cycling days and I never lacked any energy because of that diet. If it weren't for other family members not being on board I'd probably go back to something like a pesco-vegetarian diet. Eggs too, so I guess I need to add an ovo to the pesco........
Old 07-19-19, 06:14 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Vegetarian. Not related to exercise. Works great. Indian food is delicious. ��
Out of curiosity do you cook a SE Asian cuisine for yourself at home?
I know my way around a kitchen fairly well, cook with a variety of spices and herbs at home but was on my back foot trying to pitch in to help my neighbors prepare a Bengali style meal in their kitchen.
It was like being a child again reduced to "stir this just so" and "prep this simple onion dice". Lots of moving parts going on there.....but they have yet to come over for "1st you make a Roux" here.

Cooking is Culture.
It's a fundamental human technical expertise that many lack today, perhaps the root of the OP's question.
When you haven't learned how to transform simple fresh ingredients into a decent meal food can be a mystery, fad, fodder or obsession.
Learn to cook and feed yourself, family and friends with what pleases you/them, and then go ride your bike.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 07-19-19 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-21-19, 05:54 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I'm on the lutefisk diet...

This post sponsored by the Lutefisk Harversters and Processors Consortium of Glomfjord.
I'm pretty sure the Norsemen raided much of northern Europe looking for an alternative to Lutefish. Their athletic "prowess" may have been more a sign of desperation than superior strength and endurance.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 07-21-19, 06:53 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Dr Isotope,
Watch out for the dreaded Texas tick, it gives us all an allergic reaction to meat of any kind. Smiles, MH
Isn't that why beer was invented?
Old 07-21-19, 11:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Out of curiosity do you cook a SE Asian cuisine for yourself at home?
I know my way around a kitchen fairly well, cook with a variety of spices and herbs at home but was on my back foot trying to pitch in to help my neighbors prepare a Bengali style meal in their kitchen.
It was like being a child again reduced to "stir this just so" and "prep this simple onion dice". Lots of moving parts going on there.....but they have yet to come over for "1st you make a Roux" here.

Cooking is Culture.
It's a fundamental human technical expertise that many lack today, perhaps the root of the OP's question.
When you haven't learned how to transform simple fresh ingredients into a decent meal food can be a mystery, fad, fodder or obsession.
Learn to cook and feed yourself, family and friends with what pleases you/them, and then go ride your bike.

-Bandera
I'm not a very good cook, so I cheat. I use this curry mix to make Rajasthani style cream sauce, for something like a vegetable masala.

Kitchens of India Paste, Butter Chicken Curry, 3.5-Ounces (Pack of 6) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V17MLS..._GqunDbWJFZ8R7
Old 07-22-19, 11:26 AM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I have been vegetarian for 50 years, and vegan for five. I grew up on a beef farm, and what I saw there made me very willing to try giving it up, and all the effects have been good. Now, I have seen the world population triple, and the terrifying news that only 10% of the animals on earth are wild. That's ALL the other species we don't plow to raise. The world is now in the anthropocene, and if we don't change our ways within a generation, it will start with a horrific extinction event, written in the rocks as our epitaph.
Old 07-22-19, 12:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,901 Times in 2,538 Posts
When I raced 40+ years ago, I gave up white flour, sugar, meat, all non-cultured milk products, nearly all (sodium) salt, caffeine and virtually all processed food. Between 2 years of mileage build-up to 10,000 mile years, disciplined training and that diet, I felt like I had super powers. Did more than a few amazing rides.

Over the years after I stopped racing, my diet slipped a lot. My 6 years of marriage I was way off. 16 years ago I started improving it. I am most of the way back to that old diet with a few changes. I include high Omega 3 fish several times a week (usually simply a can of tuna, salmon or sardines in a bento bowl-like meal. I've dropped nearly all dairy except in social gatherings Fridays and Saturdays. Eat lots of veggies and fruit. Make my own (non-sucrose) granola. In fact, the white sugar I eat is almost entirely from small packages of M&Ms (a few a week) and pastries away from home. All of the 10 pound bags of white sugar I buy goes to my hummingbirds. I make it a point to consume olive oil, in my bento bowls and in my long-day pancakes. The yogurt I eat with my granola (on a bed of blueberries, strawberries, apple and peach (fruit varies with time of year) is non-dairy made from cashews. (I like cashew a lot, but that yogurt is simply the first non-dairy yogurt I've had that passes the test of "good" yogurt.)

Pluses of this "diet"? I feel really good. My recovery from both rides and injuries, while not what it was 40 years ago, is excellent. Watching my weight is just a matter of stepping on a scale and observing. I don't have to do anything more other than embrace the concept of living life slightly hungry. Bowel movements are easy and a joy. (I do have hemorrhoids; years of lesser diets, and probably lifting heavy stuff has taken its toll but this diet and lots of water/fluids makes them far more pleasant.) I also have sinuses that are not blocked up for the first time in 30 years. (Thank you, Lindsey ****, RN, my GP who bugged me for at least a year to go non-dairy. I've had to embrace hummus and pesto as cheese substitutes. Rough for a while, but I am now making really good batches of both and meals are a joy again.)

Ben
Old 07-22-19, 12:40 PM
drbarney1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
I have been an amateur bodybuilder for over 20 years because pushing iron and a properly designed diet is my physical defense against society's culture doing this to my body:

I use a bicycle out of necessity because I am on a fixed income and must minimize use of a car.
My diet has four restrictions, two ethical: vegetarian because Heisenberg indeterminacy proved in the 1920's through its Copenhagen interpretation the laws of physics at the scale of electrons in the brains of conscious creatures only calculate probability of what electrons will do in the chemical actions manifesting consciousness, proving a measure of free will; thus, Kant's categorical imperative applies to all animals so we can't permit ourselves to kill them for food or body parts, I do not want to support the commercial food conglomerates who engineer food to addict and cause people to overeat and turn obese so I can't do business with them. Two medical constraints are a small intestine biopsy was positive for celiac disease so I am not allowed to eat gluten if I don't want to do more time in the hospital and I am allergic to onions and garlic.
My diet includes Legion Athletic whey powder, and their per-workout and post workout supplements, ***e Greek yogurt, Flapjacked pancake with frozen berries, an omelet with spinach, kale, or collard greens, steamed vegetables with mozzarella made with microbial enzymes instead of slaughterhouse enzymes (Kant's categorical imperative modified by Heisenberg indeterminacy of exactly what electrons in the brain will manifest what thoughts and free will) boiled oats or buckwheat and sometimes quinoa, and chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, and almonds mixed into my evening Greek yogurt. Biotrust mixed protein powder, which along with Legion Athletic Whey outclasses ice cream and cake by such a margin I don't miss the latter. I occasionally indulge in a Quest bar.
Old 07-22-19, 01:15 PM
Bandera
~>~

Heisenberg was a dismal time trialist, an even worse climber and had the no sprint while Kant descended with all of the bike handling skill and elan of an erratic neurotic gerbil.
I'd not want either on my team.
I'd go with Bill Occam and Johnny P. Sartre for good solid no nonsense teammates in an echelon instead, they know which way the wind is blowing and where to get a good cup coffee.

-Bandera
Likes For Bandera:
Old 07-22-19, 07:22 PM
sterlingsam

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No soda or any liquids with added sugar, no fried anything, red meat no more than twice per week, no poultry skin, cut back on fat (oil, butter, etc.) as much as possible, try not eating anything that has more than 2gm of sugar/serving. 48% of all diseases and 90-95% of all cancers are caused by environmental and lifestyle factors. People don't like to hear or be told this, but diseases like Alzheimer's are more than 99% under your control. This, in turn, accounts for 70-80% of all dementia. Also, eat out no more than once per week and really watch your calories. Studies show that the more you eat out (at restaurants, diners, etc.), the more weight you will gain and the faster your health will decline. Once you become overweight/obese, you only have a 5% chance of losing it to reach normal weight limits. That is 5% over your lifetime, not per year.

Last edited by sterlingsam; 07-22-19 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-23-19, 03:09 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by sterlingsam
Also, eat out no more than once per week
Why so frequently?
Likes For Machka:
Old 07-23-19, 10:01 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I've been moderately careful about food intake most of my life. More recently, I've lost a taste for beef and eat mostly fish or poultry and veggies. And due to this video on Ted Talks by a microbiologist,
I've now begun to cut way back on sugar. It is not that sugar feeds cancer cells so much as the fact that sugar is added in substantial quantities to many foods. To my surprise, though my weight has been at my high school level, suddenly I've been losing the last few pounds of belly fat .
Old 08-08-19, 04:59 PM
Meanerspice

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keto. I feel so much more energetic and level-headed whenever I'm in ketosis, its like a night and day difference. If I ever eat way over my macros or have a cheat day, I am basically agreeing to sleep in until 5pm the next day because I will feel so sick. It's like the world's worst hangover.
Old 08-08-19, 05:23 PM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by Meanerspice
It's like the world's worst hangover.
Not as bad as this: The Jager-Bomb.
How to become even stupider than you already are for drinking it, and how you will wish for a Death Squad to just put you out of your misery tomorrow.
It is a sure-fire cure for that dismal energetic and level-headed Keto poisoned feeling you get while craving those Macros, and needing to sink into a deep pit of depravity, as one is wont to do on occasion.

Last edited by Bandera; 08-08-19 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-08-19, 06:12 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Having married a Norwegian-American and attended many Santa Lucia festivals, I am convinced that no one in Norway actually eats lutefisk. It's just an elaborate practical joke foisted upon non-Scandinavian in-laws.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.