Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Don't let newbies attach to dead threads

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Don't let newbies attach to dead threads

Old 07-19-19, 05:02 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Do Zombies nest quotes?
Mine won't nest for the afterlife of me. No wonder the ghouls won't pay attention to me.
Old 07-19-19, 06:45 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
But since you latched on to who/what we were talking about, you've just given yourself away.
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Sorry, I don't have a clue what you are going on about.
It's okay for you not to understand! Some day you'll reach Bizarro World Nirvana and it will all be foggy at the bottom.
As I posted earlier
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
:... BTW, I don’t consider posting (and reading) BikeForums a waste of time.

Actually, a waste of time for me is replying to these RECURRING [emphasis added] wearisome replies about my posting style, instead of just ignoring my posts.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
See what I mean?
Old 07-23-19, 09:29 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I bumped a 17-year-old thread the other day as a joke and not only did it get locked, now it seems to have disappeared.

That seems excessive.

And humorless.
Well last time I bumped an old thread it got deleted so instead I'll just link to it and mention that this 15-year-old thread about Jan Ulrich and Lance Armstrong has not aged well: https://www.bikeforums.net/professio...ean-lol-2.html
Old 07-23-19, 09:38 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I just wasted my time, again, because someone with a net "0" number of posts necro-posted in foo, and since I knew the answer (having just been through this with my kid), I replied to the question assuming it wasn't from 2010.

https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/64994...out-state.html

How about auto-locking threads with more than six months or a year of inactivity?

Maybe also a week (or longer) ban for a completely gratuitous necro-post.
Old 07-23-19, 10:22 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Yeah, some of the revived old posts are a nuisance, but this is a cycling forum. Bicycles are near timeless and so is a lot of the wisdom around them. If we lock down old threads we lose access to wisdom that might run contrary to today's opinions. (Not quite true, We can still read locked threads, but locking them tends to shut down original thought and prevents us from sharing that without starting a new thread. And new threads just to eventually get to what was realized 10 years ago; is that the best use of our intelligence?)

I do agree that the threads should have date started stamp on them. I am guilty of answering decade old posts.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-23-19, 10:34 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Yeah, some of the revived old posts are a nuisance, but this is a cycling forum. Bicycles are near timeless and so is a lot of the wisdom around them. If we lock down old threads we lose access to wisdom that might run contrary to today's opinions. (Not quite true, We can still read locked threads, but locking them tends to shut down original thought and prevents us from sharing that without starting a new thread. And new threads just to eventually get to what was realized 10 years ago; is that the best use of our intelligence?)

I do agree that the threads should have date started stamp on them. I am guilty of answering decade old posts.

Ben
In an ideal world I would agree with you completely.

One of the problems with being a newbie on a forum is you don't want to (or are told not to) start a new thread on a commonly-asked question, so you use the search engine, your question pops up, and so you post to that thread. That seems perfectly reasonable. But many of these just seem to be random.

Clearly the clown that necro-posted this 10 year old foo (off-topic) thread on out-of-state car registration didn't meet the above criteria.

Maybe instead of locking the thread, there could be an icon or some readily identifiable demarcation of old threads, or a pop-up warning, or something.

Ben
They do, but unless you go looking for them, it isn't the first thing you spot. I usually look at the recent activity, and get sucked in that way. I suppose I should very carefully look for the thread creation date, but clearly I am not alone in missing this.

I do wonder if there is a correlation between gratuitous necro-posts and spammers trying to get their post count increased so they can spam the BB?
Old 07-23-19, 11:03 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Well, I just received an "infraction" because I had the temerity to call this out.

Great to see where the priorities are.
Old 07-23-19, 05:40 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

This is starting to sound like much ado over mutton.

Mmmmm...Korean!
Old 07-23-19, 08:18 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Well, I just received an "infraction" because I had the temerity to call this out.

Great to see where the priorities are.
This is not true. You got an Infraction for using foul language in a family friendly forum.
Old 07-23-19, 08:53 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 75 Posts
I actually get a kick out of zombie thread dredges. Seriously.

And I’m not a big zombie guy. Never saw one episode of “Walking Dead.”

At the same time I was in Guinness book for “largest collection of zombies in one place” (9,592 Asbury Park, NJ 2013)

Sadly, I’ve seen the record has since been toppled. 15,458 Minneapolis, MN 2014.
Old 07-23-19, 08:57 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by cb400bill
This is not true. You got an Infraction for using foul language in a family friendly forum.
Which you would never have seen until I reported the thread.
Old 07-23-19, 09:09 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
This is, by far, one of the most entertaining threads in recent BF history.

Thank you all for a good chuckle.

BTW, can zombies ride clipless pedals or do they prefer platform pedals. Just curious.
Old 07-23-19, 09:56 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

BTW, can zombies ride clipless pedals or do they prefer platform pedals. Just curious.
Come on! They ride toe clips. With straps pulled tight and leather cleats. Black leather shoes. They like going fast. Look at any 100+ year racing photo. (No color photos in the day, but trust me, those shoes are black. Zombies wouldn't ride anything else.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-24-19, 04:05 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Which you would never have seen until I reported the thread.
Had you simply reported the post, instead of replying using foul language and bypassing the forum censor doing so, you would not have been infracted.

I'm going to repost the Forum Rules for you. These are the forum rules that you agreed to when you sign up. I suggest that you read and follow them.

https://www.bikeforums.net/faq.php?f...aq_forum_rules

The following seven categories of online conduct are unacceptable at BikeForums and constitute a violation of our Community Standards which may result in warning, suspension or loss of membership:

Harassment

Harassment occurs when a member insults, attacks, and denigrates another member at any time. We have zero tolerance for taking an argument about a any topic to a personal level. For instance, the use of terms such as "idiot, moron, stupid" and other derogatory terms constitutes harassment. The idea is to make this a pleasant environment to discuss cycling, not a schoolyard, or name-calling and rock-throwing festival. Repeated critical and sharply negative posts toward a forum member can also constitute harassment. This applies to all content submitted by users including posts, avatars and signatures.
Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. Respect the forum staff. We're not here to make life harder to anyone. Any decision taken by the administrators and moderators is final and must be respected.

Disruption

Posts which intend to disrupt the topic of conversation or steer the topic away from the focus of the forum and related news. Disruption can include harassment, multiple user profiles, multiple posting of the same post and posting completely off topic messages. Please do your best when it comes to grammar, punctuation and spelling. Excessive use of "AOL'ese" and "hAx0r" talk can be very disruptive so please keep it to a minimum. Private messages are to be kept private and never posted in the forums. Additionally, since we are a bicycle forum, primarily, and not a political forum, don't use political signatures or avatars, due to their controversy effect. Also, gun discussion and illegal personal drug use are not allowed in the open public forum.

Vulgarity

As a community with a diverse variety of members and readers, we ask that our members to post without using vulgarity. Vulgarity not only includes vulgar language and pictures but also sexist, racist, anti-religious, images of graphic violence, political statements and ****phobic language which may offend other members. In addition, the "masking" of vulgarity by inserting * or another keystroke in place of one or more letters in a vulgar term is unacceptable in most cases. It will also be impermissible to anagramize a word to bypass the filters. This applies to all content submitted by users including posts, PMs, avatars and signatures.

Solicitation

Please refrain from using Bike Forums to promote your "crowdfunding campaign" (kickstarter/indiegogo), commercial services/website, or to advertise items for sale. If you are a Premium Member (Titanium or Red Star), you may attach a short link to your own blog or personal site within your profile or signature to your market items in our marketplace forums here (private sales only, no ebay auctions or online storefronts), or to a noncommercial website that you specifically own. Free members are not allowed sig links for their sites.

Spamming

Spamming is the multiple posting of an identical or similar post on one or more of our Forums. Spam is also flooding the Internet with many copies of the same message, in an attempt to force the message on people who would not otherwise choose to receive it. Most spam is commercial advertising, often for dubious products, get-rich-quick schemes, or quasi-legal services.

Copyrighted Material

You may post links to appropriate articles but posting articles from other sources in their entirety is a violation of our Forum Guidelines. If you must repost quotes or sentences, please credit the source.

High Maintenance Clause

Any member who occupies a majority of admin or moderator time unnecessarily will be shown the door. Any messages you post in these discussion forums will remain available to the public for as long as this discussion board is online. Once you have posted your message, it will stay online. Please post carefully and with due consideration to the content of your post. Any private communications will remain private at all times, sharing PM's is not allowed unless all members involved are in agreement. Communications between Moderation or Administrative Staff and the members are always private and no permission will ever be granted to share these messages in a public manner. Private Communications from other sites are also included in this proscription. In short, no communication where there was an expectation of privacy, regardless of source are to be posted on our forums. Usergroups are subject to the same guidelines as the main forums, and if these groups become a problem for the Administrators and Moderation staff, appropriate action, ranging from changes in the group founder to an outright disbanding of the offending group may be taken.

The Point System

This is a breakdown in the point system. Warning: no points Infraction: Varying points from 1-5 Standard infraction: 1 point Serious Infraction: 1-3 points Spamming: 5 points 3 points leads to an automatic 7 day ban, or longer at Admin discretion if the issue gets repeated. 5 points leads to a permanent ban.

General Principles

We expect that all members of BikeForums will behave in a way that’s conducive to the diversity, intelligence and respectfulness of the community. Each of these three general principles is fundamental to the quality of our site.

Diversity

We’re a community of cyclists, from different backgrounds and with different perspectives on sports and life. At all times, we expect our members to respect that.

Intelligence

We’re a community with quality standards and expect our members will make a sincere effort to contribute their thoughts on interesting subjects in a meaningful and respectful manner. Posting messages and otherwise interacting on BikeForums is completely optional; many members often prefer to just read what others have to say. But if you do post, we expect that you’ll be respectful of the time of others by posting meaningfully.

Respectfulness

We expect our member to show respect for others. Respecting their person, their views, their time and their opinions, and their belief systems ... even if you disagree with them.
Old 07-24-19, 01:13 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Come on! They ride toe clips. With straps pulled tight and leather cleats. Black leather shoes. They like going fast. Look at any 100+ year racing photo. (No color photos in the day, but trust me, those shoes are black. Zombies wouldn't ride anything else.)
So what do vampires ride?

Clearly, not cross bikes.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 07-24-19, 04:37 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

Zombies can use whatever but if a leg falls off it will not be pretty.
Old 07-24-19, 04:39 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by ksryder
So what do vampires ride?

Clearly, not cross bikes.
They don't use lights at night either.
Old 07-24-19, 05:04 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Had you simply reported the post, instead of replying using foul language and bypassing the forum censor doing so, you would not have been infracted. .
I think I would have, and, in retrospect, rightfully so. The infraction reads "Insulted Other Member(s)", which I did. (I took issue with the idea that someone with a zero post count is a legitimate "member", but the fact remains, I insulted the poster, and thus violated the terms you posted. I am sorry for this. (I called the poster an "idiot" for giving out dangerously incorrect advice in his necropost.))

I also used an abbreviation for what is considered by most of society to be a very minor vulgar term, not with the intent to subvert the censor, but simply because I did not want to be too graphic. (This is hardly even PG-13 stuff.) Abbreviations like SNAFU are common parlance, and refer to far worse language than what I implied. I did this out of frustration for having wasted a fair amount of time on what was a reasonable reply (based on a similar situation we had just experienced). Time and good will wasted simply because no one will implement a thread-lock on time-sensitive posts that have been inactive for years.

All of this is a complete waste of your time and mine, but I reserve the right to set the record straight. Having done so, please can we drop this and move on?

When we consider how much disruption and ill-will this one instance of necro-posting has generated, I hope that at some point those who can fix this problem will see the merit in doing so.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 07-24-19 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-18-19, 09:48 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

If they just post Hi, nice to see this/be here, maybe but you can't really make those judgments yourself and the moderators DO tell newbies to check things out and post pertinent things instead of This is my Xth post to be able to post links/pictures.

I mean, what's Noob to do to become an Oldie?
Old 08-29-19, 05:25 PM
. Cranky .
Idiot Pro Tempore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 23 Posts
Old 09-01-19, 09:07 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

By your request...

Boy I loved that game.

Last edited by Rollfast; 09-01-19 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-08-19, 02:03 PM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
I've always found wgscott to be one of the more interesting, entertaining and helpful posters at bikeforums, and I'm surprised to see that he has been banned. There was no post explaining the reason for this in the the "banned" thread. I know the Admins have a difficult job, but sometimes they just get it wrong. The information to noise ratio was already bad at BF. Now its even worse.

I think I would have, and, in retrospect, rightfully so. The infraction reads "Insulted Other Member(s)", which I did. (I took issue with the idea that someone with a zero post count is a legitimate "member", but the fact remains, I insulted the poster, and thus violated the terms you posted. I am sorry for this. (I called the poster an "idiot" for giving out dangerously incorrect advice in his necropost.))

I also used an abbreviation for what is considered by most of society to be a very minor vulgar term, not with the intent to subvert the censor, but simply because I did not want to be too graphic. (This is hardly even PG-13 stuff.) Abbreviations like SNAFU are common parlance, and refer to far worse language than what I implied. I did this out of frustration for having wasted a fair amount of time on what was a reasonable reply (based on a similar situation we had just experienced). Time and good will wasted simply because no one will implement a thread-lock on time-sensitive posts that have been inactive for years.

All of this is a complete waste of your time and mine, but I reserve the right to set the record straight. Having done so, please can we drop this and move on?

When we consider how much disruption and ill-will this one instance of necro-posting has generated, I hope that at some point those who can fix this problem will see the merit in doing so.
Old 09-08-19, 11:24 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

That looks to be correct...wgscott is not listed, although if you find the thread in question the moderator did specify the reason why that was so.
Old 09-08-19, 11:30 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

AHA! I knew it was there somewhere. If I were in that yard the dog would have bit me!

But can it please be properly noted in Banned Users as well, it's not there on a glance?

I would speculate that he is gone for being contrary to the moderator and a handful, with a quite unsuccessful viewpoint about it.

Psssst...it's up ^^^^There https://www.bikeforums.net/21042180-post64.html

Final answer.

Last edited by Rollfast; 09-09-19 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-08-19, 11:48 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Shirley, you jest. Are they supposed to start thread number 3,947 on the same subject or should we just answer the same thread and leave it at that?

Chances are it will just get merged into another thread.

They're newbies. You and I are oldbies.
I shudder to have to admit it, but I agree. They're old questions/topics to us but new to them.
Likes For KraneXL:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.