Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The writing is on the wall with Contador

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The writing is on the wall with Contador

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-08, 11:10 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashUNC
Completely ridiculous. Contador has won all three Grand Tours in the last 15 months, is clearly the best Grand Tour rider on the planet right now, and we're talking about him being supplanted by a guy who's been retired for three years?

If I were Contador, I'd tell Bruyneel and company what they can do with their roster spot.
Saxo-Bank might be happy to have Contador along with the Schleck brothers.
+1 I like Lance, but I think Contador is getting a bad shake. If I were him I'd get my hat, if Lance was coming back or not.
Old 09-26-08, 11:13 AM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whoever wants AC not only has to pay him skillions but they have to buy him out from Astana. Who has that much money left AND enough to hire helpers?
Old 09-26-08, 11:17 AM
tekhna

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
Whoever wants AC not only has to pay him skillions but they have to buy him out from Astana. Who has that much money left AND enough to hire helpers?
Tinkoff
Old 09-26-08, 11:36 AM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Contador is an idiot if he stays. He's got a totally legit reason right now. Saxo bank (or whatever it is) should go for it.

If he waits 6 months and Lance beats him in a stage and then quits, he'll look like a whiner.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)

Last edited by SpongeDad; 09-26-08 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-26-08, 11:43 AM
snoboard2
County sign fanatic

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium (training), looking for the money for a racing bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmb2786
hahaha evans would have a fit!
the worst evans would do would be to write Sergeant Marc a passive aggressive email and give Contador dirty looks at the lunch table.
Old 09-26-08, 11:45 AM
jasonkang85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Can't have two alpha dogs in the same pack.
ditto
Old 09-26-08, 11:50 AM
blue_nose
Scottish Canuck in the US

Bikes: Trek 2100, Cervélo Carbon Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sastre won the TDF last year without a true designated leader on CSC. Up until Sastre's finish on Alp d'Huez the team was supporting Schleck (Frank) and Carlos.

Just sayin…
Old 09-26-08, 11:57 AM
CerveloFellow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Can't have two alpha dogs in the same pack.
Incorrect.
Old 09-26-08, 12:50 PM
blue_nose
Scottish Canuck in the US

Bikes: Trek 2100, Cervélo Carbon Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In 1986, Hinault and LeMond were co-leaders of the La Vie Claire team. Granted, Hinault did try and attack his own team mate, but there are a number of examples out there where teams have had more than one Tour contender.
Old 09-26-08, 02:03 PM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm pretty sure Contador's going to land up leaving.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 09-26-08, 03:10 PM
tollhousecookie

Bikes: Beach crusier, Specialized FSR mt., retro Raleigh rebuild. Trek Madone 4.5, Schwinn steel frame Frankinstein. BMX rebuild, Specialized rock hopper,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freeskihp
I COMPLETELY agree with your stance on EMPHASIS. In order to get a reader's attention one must CAPITALIZE VITAL POINTS. This brings great DEPTH to one's WRITING
Just replicating the WRITTING ON THE WALL.
Old 09-26-08, 03:54 PM
crydee

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sagginwagin
....and Levi has won how many grand tours**********???
Levi would of had Contador's win in the 07 TDF if he didn't crash and get a penalty. Almost anything can happen. Just because you win doesn't mean your the strongest. In a ground tour so much can happen that it's not open for just the "strongest." It's a survival skill to win a grand tour. That's why I think Levi is stronger than Contador.
Old 09-26-08, 06:22 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Loosing contador would be idiotic. Dude is young. How long is Armstrong going to be around for? I seems to me that contador would be a better investment in the future.
Old 09-26-08, 06:28 PM
Dubbayoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Funny how AC is suddenly all threatened by LA but has no problem riding with Levi. He is obviously worried that Lance is more capable of beating him than Levi.
Old 09-26-08, 06:28 PM
BarryJo

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale EVO DA; 09 Giant TCR Advanced SL; 07 Giant TCR Advanced

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As much as I think Lance's coming back to competitive cycling is a good thing for the sport in the US, I think Contador is getting screwed, plain and simple. I'd love to see him go to the Spanish team Caisse D'epargna where I think he would be great working with Valverde and some of the other Spanish riders.
And as much as I love Lance, I would love to see Contador give him "the look" on one of the finishing climbs in the Alps or Pyranees.
Old 09-26-08, 06:46 PM
toshi
Lint Picker

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny how AC is suddenly all threatened by LA but has no problem riding with Levi. He is obviously worried that Lance is more capable of beating him than Levi.
More like he's not looking forward to the HUGE change in team dynamics.
Old 09-26-08, 06:47 PM
sgrundy
I am the cheese

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
Loosing contador would be idiotic. Dude is young. How long is Armstrong going to be around for? I seems to me that contador would be a better investment in the future.
Maybe so, but I don't really think Bruyneel has much of a choice in this.
Old 09-26-08, 08:14 PM
RATBOY

Bikes: 2004 LITESPEED VORTEX; 2008 FELT B12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IF Contador decides to stay, Astana (read Johann) will use him like a wet dish rag.

Lance needs Contador's help, becasue without him (and potentially several other strong members...i.e. Levi) he'll have to contantly be on the defensive.

With Contador staying (assuming he does), publicity for Astana will be huge, Johann will ride a massive wave of re-popularity, Lance has a fighting chance to be in a very good position for a win, and Team Astana will be on the offensive vice the defensive throughout the race.

I cannot believe that Contador can't see through the fog. Contador deserves better and needs to get out fast...find a new team and pronto.
Old 09-26-08, 08:17 PM
Lucky07
Ride 365

Bikes: '06 Cannondale Six 13 Pro 2, '05 Specialized Allez Elite, '04 Jamis Satellite, 90's Raleigh M-45 single speed conversion, 80's Fuji Team single speed conversion, 70's Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can see both Levi & Contador moving on. Lepheimer was chafing in the supporting role & Alberto wants nothing to do with it.
Old 09-26-08, 09:08 PM
wfrogge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matteye
Lance is not hinting at all that he thinks he can win an 8th TDf, but come on. Would he really be doing this if that wasn't his "true" goal. He's going to need all the help he can get from the team to do that, so why all the false promises from Astana?

Lance said he wasnt coming back to loose the TDF..... pretty much saying he expects to win.
Old 09-26-08, 09:19 PM
dobovedo
simply bikin'

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Roubaix Pro; 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport; 2009 Specialized Rockhopper 29er Comp; 2006 Flyte Arsenal; 2001 Bianchi Reparto Corse Boron XL; 2007 Raleigh One Way; 1986 Raleigh Alyeska Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
Exactly. Contador is the future (not to mention the present). Lance is around only to use the peloton as a political platform. I won't even begin to debate the right or wrong of that. However, whether he wins or loses in whatever races he does next year, he won't be around long. Giving up Alberto for that would be a bad move on Astana's part.

From a cycling fan's perspective though, I don't want them on the same team. If Lance is going to come back, I want him riding against Contador, not with him.
Old 09-26-08, 09:25 PM
bikeride
smell'n bacon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think he's more worried about who'll be calling the shots during the race. It's more of an ego/respect thing. Contador has a right to have a big ego. Winning three grand tours is certainly ego worthy.
Old 09-26-08, 09:44 PM
Dubbayoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RATBOY
Lance needs Contador's help, becasue without him (and potentially several other strong members...i.e. Levi) he'll have to contantly be on the defensive.

With Contador staying (assuming he does), publicity for Astana will be huge, Johann will ride a massive wave of re-popularity, Lance has a fighting chance to be in a very good position for a win, and Team Astana will be on the offensive vice the defensive throughout the race.

I cannot believe that Contador can't see through the fog. Contador deserves better and needs to get out fast...find a new team and pronto.
I don't think Lance needs Contador. He'll still have Levi (who knows he's better off staying), Brajkovic, Kloden, Rubiera, Horner <snicker>.

Originally Posted by bikeride
I think he's more worried about who'll be calling the shots during the race. It's more of an ego/respect thing. Contador has a right to have a big ego. Winning three grand tours is certainly ego worthy.
It certainly is and so is seven Tours. My point is is this - I don't think Contador will find another team that has ALL the parts needed to support a Tour winner. Most of the teams that still need a leader also don't have enough climbers anyway. Lance will probably only be around for a year. Why leave for team building project when you know in 2010 the perfect team will be yours again?
Old 09-26-08, 09:57 PM
bikeride
smell'n bacon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
... I don't think Contador will find another team that has ALL the parts needed to support a Tour winner. Most of the teams that still need a leader also don't have enough climbers anyway. Lance will probably only be around for a year. Why leave for team building project when you know in 2010 the perfect team will be yours again?
Agreed.
Old 09-26-08, 10:06 PM
Spreggy
King of the Plukers

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
The best time to change jobs is when you're the hottest commodity on the market. I think AC is doing a good job of stirring the pot to see what offers pop up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.