Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Component tracking app

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Component tracking app

Old 09-10-17, 11:48 PM
GoldenThiefBug

Bikes: Scott Aspect 740

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Component tracking app

Do you know any app able to track the KMs of a component on a bike ? Unlike Strava where you can only track a bike and basta.

I'd like to see something like:

Colnago C60: 321321km
Rear tyre: Model/Date: 12km
Front tyre: Model/date: 654km
Jockey Wheels: Model/Date: 1234km

And so on.

If I can even input more details like weight and whatnot, it's even cooler!

Thanks.
Old 09-11-17, 12:23 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,346 Posts
Not for me.

I prefer riding to keeping statistics.

OTOH - if you keep cumulative mileage, ie with an odometer. You can also keep a maintenance log, wherein you record the mileage when you put various parts into service. Then at any time, you can subtract to find the mileage in service.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-11-17, 12:33 AM
GoldenThiefBug

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah right, I forgot to mention something, the app should automatically update the stats after a workout, being paired with garmin/strava/etc.
I agree I could keep a maintenance log like you said but I also prefer riding to stats. If I can have the stats while being lazy, my inner geek is happy.
Old 09-11-17, 12:49 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenThiefBug
I agree I could keep a maintenance log like you said but I also prefer riding to stats. If I can have the stats while being lazy, my inner geek is happy.
That might be nice. Info without effort can't hurt. However If I ever cared about stuff like that, I stopped long, long ago. I ride stuff as long as it lasts, then replace it and repeat the process. I have a general sense of how long something lasts based on knowing roughly how far I ride, and when I replaced something. Ie. I mounted the tire early this Spring, and it's been about 4,000 miles since.

Other than tires, everything last from multiple seasons, to still on the originals, so that's good enough for me.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-11-17, 06:22 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Microsoft Excel.

I use a pad and pen.

I'm not trying to be snarky but am not really comfortable with sharing my maintenance habits with an app developer collecting metrics in the background. When I change my tires and lube my chain is my own business. Everything I do doesn't have to be sent to the internet.

-Tim-
Old 09-11-17, 07:57 AM
fsdogwood

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You can add component (so far for me saddle) to your specific bicycle in the "My Gear" section of strava, it'll show you when you added the component and show the distance it's been used (the component, not just the bicycle)

This might be web only, but it's working for me
Old 09-11-17, 08:03 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Strava > Settings > My Gear

Old 09-11-17, 08:51 AM
GoldenThiefBug

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh my, how did I miss that... Is it a new'ish feature ? (Edit: from your components added in 2016, I guess it's not new at all)
Anyway thanks!

Last edited by GoldenThiefBug; 09-11-17 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-11-17, 09:12 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Looked at this just now. It is actually pretty good and I might try it too.
Old 09-11-17, 09:21 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

As a person virtually incapable of keeping records, Strava My Gear actually works for me. It's really the only way I know how well disposables like chains and tires have been holding up, or when my cassettes are getting near the end of their lives. Also neat to see non-wear components like seatposts rack up the miles. My Thomson Elite now has 22,258 miles on it.
Old 09-11-17, 12:05 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

My Thomson Elite now has 22,258 miles on it.
I don't know. A saddlepost like that could let go any second.

Good think you are tracking it. I'd swap ASAP just to be sure.

Safety is no accident.

-Tim-
Old 09-11-17, 12:19 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenThiefBug
Oh my, how did I miss that... Is it a new'ish feature ? (Edit: from your components added in 2016, I guess it's not new at all)
Anyway thanks!
I don't think it's very new . . . but it's not very obvious because you have to click on the specific bike to edit it.

(And I do wish they had an "other" or "create component" feature - I noted in when I replaced the battery on my cadence/speed sensor as a "rear shock", which I don't have on my road bike)
Old 09-11-17, 03:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I do the same thing in Garmin Connect. (I assume Strava has the concept of default gear for an activity, eg every time you go for a ride it tracks against your current chain.)

I just ordered a set of cleats, I'll need to replace mine in a few weeks. Cleats get harder to clip sometimes, but it happens slowly, like the story about boiling a lobster.

I have "Beth" as a piece of gear. This lets me quickly get a list of the rides and hikes we've done together. Useful for planning trips.

I also have "travel with bike" as a piece of gear, it's nice to see how many hours or miles of really scenic and special riding I've done in a season, compared to around town. Also makes it easier to find the files when I want to look something up. I might want to redo a route that was fun, but want TBT, or just to know how long to expect it to take.
Old 09-11-17, 03:13 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
For folks concerned with privacy, Cyclemeter data is recorded only to the phone unless we choose to store it elsewhere (cloud, our own PCs, etc).

But so far I haven't found a way to record this type of info about components and date/mileage on Cyclemeter as conveniently as with Strava. And Strava can be set to private, although it is recorded on their servers, not just to our phones.

There's probably a way to do it with Cyclemeter, I just haven't spent enough time digging into their database structure. So far I'm just entering the dates on which I swapped chains, overhauled hubs, etc., into the notes section. That's only slightly more methodical that scribbling it into a notebook.
Old 09-11-17, 07:35 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I see that you have a Selle Anatomica X. How is it holding up?

Bought one a few days ago. Great reviews but several comments wrt how fast/much it sags. Mine shows no such sign. I have tightened by half-a-turn after my first ride. Added 200+kms since. No need to tighten more.
Old 09-11-17, 08:23 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by gauvins
I see that you have a Selle Anatomica X. How is it holding up?

Bought one a few days ago. Great reviews but several comments wrt how fast/much it sags. Mine shows no such sign. I have tightened by half-a-turn after my first ride. Added 200+kms since. No need to tighten more.
I have about 4 full turns on the tension screw, and as of today it has 8,492 miles on it-- which is far and away the longest I've ever had a saddle last. By a lot.
Old 09-11-17, 08:30 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Only for premium members or am I missing something?

I have bikes and running shoes but no components.

-Tim-
Old 09-11-17, 08:37 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Only for premium members or am I missing something?

I have bikes and running shoes but no components.

-Tim-
Click the name of the bike, and it will take you to the page to add components. Checked on my wife's non-Premium Strava to make sure.
Old 09-12-17, 06:25 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Click the name of the bike, and it will take you to the page to add components. Checked on my wife's non-Premium Strava to make sure.
That'll do it.

I was one click away. Works really well. Thanks for posting about this.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 09-12-17 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-13-17, 12:36 PM
faulker479

Bikes: Synapse, Slate

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I prefer the way that Garmin Connect does it. I may switch out chainrings or the cassette for a certain ride and can add them to that particular ride without having to delete them from the bike.
Old 09-13-17, 12:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Microsoft Excel.

I use a pad and pen.

I'm not trying to be snarky but am not really comfortable with sharing my maintenance habits with an app developer collecting metrics in the background. When I change my tires and lube my chain is my own business. Everything I do doesn't have to be sent to the internet.

-Tim-
VERY SORRY ABOUT THIS But I have to poke fun at you! Hope you enjoy the ribbing.....

But how did you go from the sentiment expressed in the post above to the one I've quoted below in less than three hours?
Looked at this just now. It is actually pretty good and I might try it too.
Old 09-13-17, 04:59 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Yeah, the only flaw I can see in Strava's component tracking is for my chains. Like Doc I, I've begun running two waxed chains, alternately between 'em so I always have a chain ready to go while the other one is soaking in the crock pot with paraffin.

I think he said he swaps chains once a week, but he rides a lot more than I do. I swap once a month, and I ride about 400 miles a month on the road bike. Farthest I've ridden on a single paraffin dip was 500 miles and the chain really didn't need to be redone, I was just curious to compare it with a new chain. Couldn't tell any difference in noise, pedaling feel or shifting.

I don't see any way in Strava to accommodate alternating between two identical chains. So I'll just continue switching chains once a month and split the mileage to estimate when they're ready to be retired.

Handy for tracking tires, although I can see how it might be limiting for folks who swap wheels/tires throughout the year on one bike. I suppose a workaround would be to create a duplicate account for one bike, and a separate set of components for folks who swap wheelsets, tires, chains, cassettes/freewheels, etc.

Interesting to see I've already ridden my Schwalbe One V-Guards 500 miles since installing 'em just over a month ago. No signs of wear although it's hard to tell with slicks. Still kicking myself for not buying a second set when Jenson had 'em for $15 each. Outstanding values.

Last edited by canklecat; 09-13-17 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-13-17, 05:08 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Iride01
VERY SORRY ABOUT THIS But I have to poke fun at you! Hope you enjoy the ribbing.....

But how did you go from the sentiment expressed in the post above to the one I've quoted below in less than three hours?
What, modifying a position in the face of persuasive evidence? You mean there's hope for the human race?

Not everyone who expresses strong opinions is intractable. That's why many folks enjoy debates. Heck, the entire concept of marketing and sales is about persuading people to feel better about buying something they needed anyway by appealing to whatever lurks behind those barriers and obstacles we put up.
Old 09-13-17, 06:27 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by faulker479
I prefer the way that Garmin Connect does it. I may switch out chainrings or the cassette for a certain ride and can add them to that particular ride without having to delete them from the bike.
Now I have to ask … I can find only an option for bike, shoes, pen "other" in Garmin. How can one add gear? (Other doesn't seem to worn because it can't track multiple items simultaneously).
Old 09-13-17, 07:13 PM
faulker479

Bikes: Synapse, Slate

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by drewguy
Now I have to ask … I can find only an option for bike, shoes, pen "other" in Garmin. How can one add gear? (Other doesn't seem to worn because it can't track multiple items simultaneously).
I set them up under the other group. I also have my cycling shoes setup under the shoes section. i go overboard and track everything. Even when i put new cleats on my shoes. You can also put a mileage goal on your gear so if you know you only want to have a shifter cables, cassette or chain for 2,500 miles, you can set that up. you can also select to have it added to a certain type of activity. the only bad thing about that is it only has Cycling. it does not drill down to Road cycling or Moutain cycling. but adding them after a ride is easy to do on either a computer or the Garmin Connect App.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.