Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

NOBD, first real ride on the Voodoo.

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 08-19-18, 04:01 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts

New Old Bike Day.

It's a Voodoo CX from the late 90's. 1x10 with a mix of Shimano, Campy, Microshift, and Sunrace.

It's been on a couple local rides to work some kinks out. Today I got it dirty. For front rangers, I started right where Jackson Creek Rd turns to dirt, up to Devils Head, over to the other side of Jackson, down to 203 up the monster steep road, down to hidden valley and back to Jackson. 31 miles but 5600ft of climbing. It's a harder day than riding Pike's. I was concerned my granny of 40x42 was too low. Those fears are gone, for stuff like this, I'd go even lower.

At around mile 22 my Chinese aluminum seatpost assploded. It wasn't salvageable. I won't have to see a surgeon though. After that, I couldn't keep the back wheel down enough to make climbing worth it, so I walked uphill. I descended tdf style. I'd prefer not to. I've already bought a new seatpost with a steel clamp. It's black, so somewhat less loud too.

Ok, now for pics.

My magnum opus actually is in this picture

Assplosion!!

I got down this road by stopping and standing
Old 08-19-18, 05:41 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Lol...so how did the makeshift saddle work for you? (Grocery bags?)

ps - I though only Crabon parts were susceptible to sudden assplosion.
Old 08-19-18, 09:01 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
Lol...so how did the makeshift saddle work for you? (Grocery bags?)

ps - I though only Crabon parts were susceptible to sudden assplosion.
It's a windbreaker. I didn't try to sit, I just wanted it there just in case.

Most mainstream parts have been through testing enough that we're pretty confident that they'll last more than a day or two, even if it's beyond the specs. It's bad for reputation otherwise.

Chinese bulk shipped parts at ridiculous cheap prices don't have that concern. Some are great designs, totally reliable, and cheap. Some have piss poor designs that would never make it out on the road for even a low end mainstream company. The material is secondary to poor designs.

We hear about it more often with carbon because it's not as strong when done poorly. Aluminum, titanium, or even steel could fail if the design was bad.

Fwiw, I never trusted the post, I thought I'd get more than one day though.

Last edited by rosefarts; 08-19-18 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-20-18, 09:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Why use a post you never trusted?
That sounds critical, but is really more curious. Was it color? Weight? Neat looking design?
Old 08-20-18, 10:18 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Why use a post you never trusted?
That sounds critical, but is really more curious. Was it color? Weight? Neat looking design?
The biggest reason was that it's the one I had, without going and getting another one. I'm pretty light and tend not to break parts too often.

It's hard to tell from pics the details of how something is built. I have an old weird sized and super short Thomson that I was hoping to be able to use the clamp from and only use the actual Chinabomb post, which I don't think is suspect. It didn't quite fit so I just installed it the way it is. Now that it's essentially garbage I may get more aggressive (Dremel time) in making the superior Thomson clamp fit. Or I might try to turn the post into a flute. The Origin 8 post I got yesterday is a tank. The extra ounce or two is inconsequential on this bike.
Old 08-20-18, 11:04 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Lovely photos, apart from the last two. Ouch! Glad you're okay.