Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Riding on Holidays?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Riding on Holidays?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-18, 08:37 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Sure hope we can get a ride in tomorrow. I just put the salmon Kool-stops and Nokian W106s on the wife's M40, Was hoping to test ride it today, but it's been either raining or snowing non-stop since 11:00AM. Supposed to be done by morning; fingers crossed.
Old 12-31-18, 08:40 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
Club is doing a Polar Bear ride here in Elvisland tomorrow. Forecast looks good - temps not bad (it's not the Arctic, it's Memphis). Bundling up and going for it.
Old 12-31-18, 10:22 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
No riding for me these last few weeks...lots of surfing though.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 01-01-19, 08:07 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Jolly spot of luck here this year. 50's and, likely clear today. Taking the Gitaine frankenbike down to the Chester Valley trail for a nice 40 mile scoot. Nice precedent for starting this next circuit of our orbital plane.
Old 01-01-19, 08:12 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
December was a lousy month here and I almost didn't get a ride in all month. Seemed like it was raining and low 50s every day. But I got a ride in yesterday as the year ended with a beautiful mid 70s day. And the new year is starting similarly, so I'm about to begin the year appropriately.
Old 01-01-19, 04:56 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
"All is quiet on New Year's Day,
A world in white is underway."

So last night's snow was the first "real" snow of the season. Ironic, since December is usually the snowiest month of the year here. But it made for a perfect day to ride today, esp. to test out the winter rigs. 15 miles on the Cap City and Southwest paths. They'd been plowed, but before the snow had stopped, so the paths were a mix of hard-pack snow, ice, slush and a few spots of dry pavement. This is the first time my wife has ridden on studs, or in these conditions. She had a blast! Quite a few runners and dog-walkers, but almost no other cyclists. Few that were out were at least 20 years our junior. The "Cyclists today" counter gizmo, that can top 1000 on a busy summer day, said 22.

With the snow on the tree branches, it was really beautiful; alas, I left the camera at home.
Old 01-01-19, 05:28 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
They all got ridden, according to my plan. Brunch and the hike took a while so it was 3 p.m. before I got going, leaving me only two hours of light. I only planned to ride around the 'hood to keep the time and hassle down. Picked my route that turned out to be 2.3 miles (only the fifth-ridden Cimarron has an odometer) and rode five of the seven that distance. The ladies' Sports works but needs a lot of changes so will likely be boxed up for storage until I'm ready to retire the men's Sports in a decade or so. The stepthrough is for my dotage when I can no longer swing a leg over and I only rode it a couple of blocks. The Giant got ridden half the full distance; encroaching darkness and a too-low stem drove me homeward.

They all need changes; saddle changes or saddle tweaks, stem changes, the Cimarron will get a long planned drop bar conversion. And I've decided I do not need the Trek or the Giant so they should probably go, and I should get rid of either the Paramount or the RB-T, or both if I find a suitable touring replacement. And I really need to comb through all the bike junk in the garage and clean out a bunch of it. It's a new year, people! Keep your eyes on the classifieds.

Old 01-01-19, 05:33 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
@thumpism, if you do decide to sell the Paramount, someone is going to get a heck of a bike. Mine is a real peach.
Old 01-01-19, 05:40 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
For several years now, maybe six or eight years, I've been pretty good about going for a ride on New Year's Day... Usually century with a friend who would necessarily spend New Year's Eve with us. This year I rode by myself, 75 miles, very mild temperatures though a stiff wind. I forgot my wallet, so had to subsist on what I carried, which was fine until I realized I'd only filled one water bottle. Doh!
Old 01-01-19, 05:49 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by beicster
@thumpism, if you do decide to sell the Paramount, someone is going to get a heck of a bike. Mine is a real peach.
Yeah, I need to change the stem and then try it with a full touring load on a big downhill before I decide for sure. That's the one thing I don't like about the RB-T, that downhill-loaded shimmy. If I never planned to tour again it would not be an issue.