Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Vittoria

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Vittoria

Old 04-22-19, 11:18 PM
socaltrailrider

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7, Niner RLT9 RDO, Ibis Rimpo & Ripley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Bianchi Vittoria

Some of you may have seen my other thread trying to identify a vintage Bianchi. The consensus was a 1986 Vittoria. That was spot on. The seller said he wasn’t sure of the model, but when I went to look at it, it had a Vittoria decal on one side. It looks to be pretty much all original. Campy Victory groupset. The brake pads and rims don’t show any wear. It needs a good tear down and cleaning which I will start shortly. All of the bearings feel nice and smooth. The rear wheel spins forever. I’m happy with the purchase. It will be a fun and somewhat easy restoration process. Any recommendations on period specific pedals? Also want to toss a fresh chain on. Any recommendations on brand? There’s a bike shop decal on the non-drive side chainstay. Looks like it was a locally purchased bike 33 years ago. Here’s a few pics.

Likes For socaltrailrider:
Old 04-22-19, 11:23 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
I'd go with the sram 830 chain on sale now at jensonusa for $9 or the 850 for $12.
I had previously asked for chain recommendation here last year and these have worked flawlessly with my 6 speed setups.

Where in SoCal are you?
Likes For malcala622:
Old 04-23-19, 06:52 AM
socaltrailrider

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by malcala622
I'd go with the sram 830 chain on sale now at jensonusa for $9 or the 850 for $12.
I had previously asked for chain recommendation here last year and these have worked flawlessly with my 6 speed setups.

Where in SoCal are you?
Thanks for the tip on the chain. I’m in Carlsbad.
Old 04-23-19, 06:56 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Nice catch, enjoy it.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 04-23-19, 10:45 AM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 175 Posts
I don't know if these are period correct . I call them a Campy repop https://www.ebay.com/itm/MKS-PD0015-...53.m1438.l2649
Also I bought a pair of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALE-97-Toe-...rdt=true&rt=nc

For period correctness check here https://velobase.com/default.aspx

Last edited by markwesti; 04-23-19 at 07:28 PM.
Likes For markwesti:
Old 04-23-19, 07:08 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 175 Posts
For a chain you could get this Sedisport Black Chain bulk package new but no box
Also Boulder has a lot of vintage Campy and Italian stuff .https://boulderbicycle.bike/
Here is a good deal on some rims https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CER...72.m2749.l2649
Here is a good deal on some tires https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-GIRO-DITALIA-AX-TUBULAR-TIRES-700c-SEW-UP-TUBULARS-PAIR-MADE-ITALY-NOS/302318292365?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Last edited by markwesti; 04-23-19 at 07:26 PM.
Likes For markwesti:
Old 05-19-19, 05:57 PM
socaltrailrider

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Tore the bike down. Everything is in great condition. Picked up some new brake pads, cables, bar tape, SRAM chain, Sachs 6 speed 13-30 cassette and a 35 and 48 chain ring for the rebuild. I am hoping the rear derailleur has enough wrap to handle the gearing. Cleaned and polished up the frame and fork as well as the crankset and started putting her back together. Will keep going polishing up the other components and slowly getting her back on the road.
Likes For socaltrailrider:
Old 05-20-19, 02:05 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
What brake pads? That frame is in great shape, are you going to wax it? I usually use a good auto wax on bare frames

as for pedals CampI Victory would be the correct and period correct pedal. The Mavic pedals are a good period upgrade. If you intend to ride this just add pedals you like and are comfortable using

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-20-19, 07:44 AM
socaltrailrider

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
What brake pads? That frame is in great shape, are you going to wax it? I usually use a good auto wax on bare frames

as for pedals CampI Victory would be the correct and period correct pedal. The Mavic pedals are a good period upgrade. If you intend to ride this just add pedals you like and are comfortable using
I picked up some of these on E-Bay. They seem to still be soft. Do you have a recommendation if these don’t work?

As for pedals, I was going to pick up vintage pedals with toe clips, but I am remembering how much fun those weren’t back when I used them in the 80’s. Going to toss a spare set of Speedplays on there. I do plan on riding Eroica California next spring so I will have to eventually grab a set of pedals with toe clips. Oh, and I did put a coat of Turtle Wax on the frame.

Old 05-20-19, 11:28 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,581 Times in 1,762 Posts
Nice!

I see you've found the Miche Young chainrings. I just bought a couple of 35T inners, but I couldn't get myself to replace the pretty original Triomphe outer ring. One issue I did have was that the chainring bolts were too long for the thinner Miche ring. I'm still on the fence wrt the solution: replace or file.

Old 05-20-19, 11:58 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti
I don't know if these are period correct . I call them a Campy repop https://www.ebay.com/itm/MKS-PD0015-...53.m1438.l2649
Also I bought a pair of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALE-97-Toe-...rdt=true&rt=nc

For period correctness check here VeloBase.com
+1

These are my go to pedals for everyday use, plenty of Campy's in stock, but these get the call, most new to me bikes get these and a Brooks for the test ride, they stay on it for the commuter of the month and remain for the duration usually.

Fantastic value, been made for decades, look great and run forever.

That is a killer price, especially in black.
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-20-19, 04:09 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
I left the grey ones in when I built my Triomphe bike a few years ago, maybe I was too lazy to change them, but if you don;'t like how they stop you get the Kool Stop Salmon colored blocks.

Miche rings? Maybe I should look at these for later on.

BTW only a few of the top models came with those Formula Uno frames. I don't know what the difference is between 1 and 2 is but the 2 I had years ago was a great rider so I can only imagine this is just as good but even better.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-05-20, 04:57 PM
socaltrailrider

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I figured that I should update this thread. My goal of documenting the step by step refurb didn’t happen as I just got busy with other stuff. 7 months later and the refurb is finally complete and I took it for a shakedown ride today. The bike is really smooth and fast. It’s been years since I used downtube friction shifters so that will take some getting used to. I just picked up some Campy pedals with Christophe cages today off of CL and will be installing them as soon as I clean and polish them. Also need to switch the cable housing out to black. Bike is ready for Eroica California in April. Just a couple of pics from my ride today.

Old 01-13-20, 11:22 PM
Dr Bianchi

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Nice vittoria i got same bike last Month except the chainstay is chrome any idea what year is that,
Old 01-19-20, 08:00 PM
socaltrailrider

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dr bianchi
nice vittoria i got same bike last month except the chainstay is chrome any idea what year is that,
Mine’s a 1986. Not sure which year would have had chrome chainstays.