Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fsa Omega "Self-extracting" crank

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-23-19, 06:38 AM
RicePudding

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR GX 1 (2018), Giant Talon 2 (2010, RIP)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Over the Easter weekend I was doing some routine maintenance and wanted to take apart my bottom bracket and give it a good clean now that the worst part of winter is out of the way.

However, I have had a hard time with the FSA Omega crank that came on my Toughroad GX1. I am aware of how these cranks are meant to make life easier by simply unwinding the centre bolt and the bolt should push against the retaining ring and apply enough force to pull the crank arm away from the spindle.

Unfortunately it didn't work this way, I began to unwind the bolt and heard a bit of a crunch. The retaining ring has sheared in half and now the crank arm is stuck on the spindle. Half of the retaining ring shell is still stuck inside.

I'm guessing that the crank now belongs with the crackers and pickle as it appears to be made of something that would go well with them.

Anyone had this trouble before?

I know I'm going to have to negotiate it off at some point now but I'm guessing it's ruined and I should be on the market for a new set. I bought a spare retaining ring in case I can get it off but I think a lot of damage will be caused in removal.

Old 04-23-19, 07:15 AM
cycledogg

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RicePudding
Over the Easter weekend I was doing some routine maintenance and wanted to take apart my bottom bracket and give it a good clean now that the worst part of winter is out of the way.

However, I have had a hard time with the FSA Omega crank that came on my Toughroad GX1. I am aware of how these cranks are meant to make life easier by simply unwinding the centre bolt and the bolt should push against the retaining ring and apply enough force to pull the crank arm away from the spindle.

Unfortunately it didn't work this way, I began to unwind the bolt and heard a bit of a crunch. The retaining ring has sheared in half and now the crank arm is stuck on the spindle. Half of the retaining ring shell is still stuck inside.

I'm guessing that the crank now belongs with the crackers and pickle as it appears to be made of something that would go well with them.

Anyone had this trouble before?

I know I'm going to have to negotiate it off at some point now but I'm guessing it's ruined and I should be on the market for a new set. I bought a spare retaining ring in case I can get it off but I think a lot of damage will be caused in removal.

From the look of the pic, there is still some good threads left for the retaining ring. Get another ring, and put some grease on the inside surface before installing. Try again. If there are not enough good threads left for the retaining ring to use then remove the bolt and use a rubber mallet from the back side of the crank and remove. You may then need to get another arm that can be used with good retaining ring threads.
Old 04-23-19, 08:40 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
How about taking out the bolt and using a regular crank extractor?
Old 04-23-19, 08:57 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
This. Not unusual at all for these rings to fail. I don't even bother with them anymore, proper crank extractor only.
Old 04-23-19, 09:01 AM
RicePudding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may try giving it a tap with a rubber mallet on the opposite side, I was hoping to not try this as I thought that bearings don't tend to like a loaded shock being applied to them.

Originally Posted by sweeks
I attempted using a crank extractor, the stud was the correct size to thread into the inside of the crank but the external thread was way too small. I believe mine was for my old bike that had a square taper.

I showed my LBS today who said they haven't got a crank extractor that would fit this arm.
Old 04-23-19, 09:18 AM
RicePudding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
This. Not unusual at all for these rings to fail. I don't even bother with them anymore, proper crank extractor only.
Apparently its a rare occasion for my LBS, they recommended writing the crank and the bottom bracket off and completely replacing it.
Old 04-23-19, 09:32 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 740 Posts
You could also just unscrew the crank bolt out until the head protrudes out slightly past the crank. Then hold the bike up by the crank arm so the bike is basically parallel to the ground and give the bolt head a good whack with a rubber hammer or steel hammer with a block of wood to protect the bolt head (2 people would make this a lot easier). This may break it loose from the BB spindle.
Old 04-23-19, 12:18 PM
RicePudding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had another go tonight, I've tried knocking the opposite side of the crank, I've tried screwing the new retaining ring in but there not enough thread there to get it to stay, I've tried removing the screw and riding it round for a bit and I've tried screwing something into it and knocking it through the drive side. None have been successful.

I'm thinking that maybe a bearing puller will do it but I don't have one so need to find someone who does. For a system that is meant to make removal easier, I'm disappointed
Old 04-29-19, 02:37 AM
RicePudding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bearing puller idea didn't work, the amount of pressure I applied in trying to pull the arm off actually bent the puller.

That being said, it was a cheap Chinese puller.

I think it's stuck for good.