Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Anybody ever come across the earliest Shogun MTB-1?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 06-03-19, 01:07 PM
Kenderbender

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi guys, longtime lurker looking for an appraisal on my shogun MTB-1. From what I hear it’s the first MTB shogun made before the prairie breaker. It’s made with Tange Champion tubing (no numerical I.D.) and has a very long wheelbase. It looks like an early stump jumper with the early style fork and has araya high flange rims with suzue sealed bearing hubs. Andy one come across these and have an idea what they’re worth?
Old 06-03-19, 01:38 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Yes, I've some. They're circa 1984. The ones I've seen have been plain gauge Tange Champion (#5) and that may only have been only the main tubes. The component package wasn't very impressive, being Shimano Altus derailleurs, a mid-range SR crankset and Dia-Compe 980 cantilever brakes. Rims were Araya 7x, typical for the era. Basically unchanged for 1985, it would become the Prarie Breaker. Original price was sub $400.

Typically, ATBs, especailly the old school style do not hold value well and the biggest factor is condition. Unless, it is in excellent condition or a very high priced market, it is probably a sub $100 bicycle. However, we'd need pictures to provide an accurate appraisal.
Old 06-03-19, 01:59 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
This is one of those examples where a later model is much better, I picked up a 1990 +/- Prairie Breaker, Tange Prestige frame and full Deore XT. I ended up moving the components to my 1988 Cimarron.