Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

de Gribaldy badged Vitus 979 > What about these pins?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-19, 10:40 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 218 Posts

So as many do, on a trip to the mainland I picked up this Vitus 979 while browsing CL for rare bikes I don't find in Hawaii.

A brief stopover and a C-note later, I've acquired what I believe to be a de Gribaldy-stickered Vitus 979 similar to that which Sean Kelly rode to victory in the 1984 Paris-Roubaix.

It's got some nice parts on it, and it pretty fun even with the townie bar on it. Sadly the drop bar and black Modolo levers are long gone.

The brakes appear to be the titanium version of the Master Pro, stopping nicely.

Other than some looseness in the rear hub, the only concerns I have are with the integrity of the frame given the bonded construction.

The primary lugs joining the head/down/top tubes are in good shape, but the rear brake bridge at the seat stays is a little curious. (see last 2 pics)

There appear to be pins, but also either a damping material or bonding material between the seat stays and the brake bridge. At best, it looks dried out.

Can anyone with a Vitus (of similar generation and build) comment on this?

It may be nothing to worry about, but worthy of discussion if this bike indeed stays here in California for an upcoming Eroica...

Old 07-15-19, 11:10 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
The "pins" as I think you are pointing out are actually rivets. The brake bridge is a casting that is bonded to the seat stays with the rivets holding it in place. They may also have been used to locate the bridge in assembly as a secondary benefit. I would be concerned about the missing bonding material as well as the cracks in the casting. The casting may turn into two pieces with both cracks propagating to the opposite ends.

I suspect the NDS stay is no longer bonded and the rivet the only thing holding the two parts in place. It may be ready to fail or has failed contributing to the crack in the casting. The mechanical failure may be due to the force from braking. without the bond between the stay and casting on the NDS stay (the rivet is not enough to prevent movement), it moves forward allowing rotation of the bridge with the weak spot being the material above and below the brake bolt. Castings are not known for any elasticity, and are known for brittle failure.

Indeed, the stay wall thickness is likely to have failed at the rivet. It is likely not a circle but an oval as a result of movement.

Last edited by SJX426; 07-15-19 at 11:13 AM.
Likes For SJX426:
Old 07-15-19, 04:55 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 218 Posts
Thanks for the info, SJX.

Looks like this frame is destined for the wall.

The rear brake bridge does appear to have a crack running through it. Shucks.
Old 07-15-19, 05:35 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
At least you got some nice parts out of it. At least $100 worth if not more.
Old 07-15-19, 07:08 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
How has this not epically failed long before now?
Old 07-15-19, 07:51 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
If a spare Vitus frame were at hand with an intact bridge, I wouldn't be able to resist drilling out the rivets on the potential wall hanger for further inspection. Perhaps it's not as bad as it seems, and would easily accept a replacement bridge bonded and riveted in place (provided the stay holes aren't wallowed out).

-Kurt

Old 07-16-19, 12:50 AM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds
Thanks for the info, SJX.

Looks like this frame is destined for the wall.

The rear brake bridge does appear to have a crack running through it. Shucks.
ouch ! I feel your pain . i have a couple of "retired" frames hanging about with smilar dramas .

Might be interesting to drill out the rivets and see what is happening underneath?

I have a frame which has an intact bridge which you would be welcome to for postage cost .
If i can get it off in one piece ?

Just a mad thought ! :-)
Old 07-16-19, 04:53 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
After seeing an unusually number of these alloy/bonded frames fail, I am thinking that before long we will put them in the same category as the AVA death stem and the Simplex Delron plastic front derailleur. No offense is intended but the observation might hold enough water to be considered a warning to others, considering such a purchase. That said...

I have owned, street restored and ridden both the Vitus 979 and the ALAN Record. Both offered excellent ride quality although both were a bit too flexible, in my opinion. Would I buy another one? Yup. Would I ride it? Probably not...

Old 07-16-19, 01:50 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 828 Times in 537 Posts
I don't know if anyone noticed, but the mounting bolt for the rear brake has a crack on it too.
Maybe it is corroded and seized on to the brake bridge because of the different materials, and an attempt was made to remove it which possibly caused the brake bridge to crack......or there could be so much corrosion between the bolt and the brake bridge that the expansion from it caused the brake bridge crack. Never the less, I don't think this is a common failure with 979's and similar Vitus bikes. Removal of the brake caliper could further clarify what caused the damage.
The pics also shows why a person that owns a bonded framed C&V bike should be fastidious about keeping it clean and dry, as much as possible as putting these bikes away "wet" can cause such damage to the bonded joints.