Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Steel frame flexing and shifting

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Steel frame flexing and shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-19, 06:42 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
When the 1st generation of Shimano SIS was installed on the same frames that our team raced in the previous season "ghost shifting" was exorcised.
All of the BS about "I'm so strong I flex this noodle frame" was just that, a classic of example of barking up the wrong tree reinforced by confirmation bias, myth and unwarranted vanity.

Bob Roll agrees:

With DT SIS a simple push/pull on the lever "click" and the required cog was reliably engaged and stayed that way until another cog was selected, even on my Vitus 979. 6, 7 or 10 cogs the design just works, if the frame is straight, the hanger aligned and simple minimal maintenance is done.

Stand when you feel like it, it's good technique for getting up and over, accelerating, stretching and just using a different muscle group to ease fatigue.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 07-18-19 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-18-19, 07:24 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Kovkov
Just don't stand up while climbing. It 's useless unless you depend on winning races.
I stand. Even with a rack and bags and on the level at times. You don't have to sprint. A different position and a stretch on a long bumpy ride. I can maintain my speed with a small increase in HR. It may only be 40-60 RPM but refreshing at times. As the day goes on I do it more. I have an AL frame with very little squirm so maybe the difference.

Last edited by u235; 07-18-19 at 07:39 AM.