Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Super Le Tour 12.2 Upgrade or Sell?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-05, 06:54 PM
CDR114

Bikes: Jamis Eclipse, Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I currently own a 1976 Super 12.2, silver mist, that my wife purchased new for me when we first got married. It is in relatively good condition. Frame is in good shape with only some minor pitting on the chrome down tubes. There is some minor rust on the chrome on the headset and some rust on some attachment screws. It has new tires and it has been reasonably maintained and still rides very solid and tight. The situation is that I have an entire ultegra 9 speed dual drivetrain (crank, BB, and deraileurs with STI shifters) available from upgrading my wife's current bike to a triple. I also have a spare 700c Mavic Cosmos wheelset with 9 speed cassette and an extra seatpost and seat lying around. I would only need a new set of brakes for a complete upgrade package. I would like an extra bike around for guests and a spare tourer if mine is in the shop, but my wife says that one is the limit besides the Jamis Eclipse and a Cyfac TT I already have. The question is: Is is worth it to upgrade the 12.2 or should I sell it (e-bay???) and just purchase a modern frame? If selling is the option, does anyone know what the 12.2 is worth? Does anyone have a clue what the bike would weight after the upgrade? I know my 12.2 currently weighs slightly under 27 pounds complete, but I do not know what the basic frame and forks weigh.
Old 10-24-05, 07:16 PM
dafydd
JRA...

Bikes: trek 520 & 736, DeRosa Professional, Fuji Professional, Raleigh International 3-speed, Saronni (any info people?), Humber 3-speed, Raleigh Sports, Carlton Grand Prix coming soon!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i guess my immediate thought it, "why would i put all that fancy gear on that bike so a guest can go and wrech it up?" of course you do have a lot of gear around, so if you did the work yourself it might be worth it as a winter project. personally, i would turn it into an upright with thumbshifters, and find a fancier frame to hang those parts on. kind goes against the missus' wishes though...
Old 10-26-05, 10:45 AM
tlavergne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a 12.2 that I bought new in 1976. It was my main ride till I bought my Merckx a month or two ago. They are a pretty nice lugged frame. I don't think you'll get much for it if you sell it. I would put the stuff on it and ride it. If you don't like it then switch it back. All you are really out is some labor. Another 12.2...COOL!!!
Old 11-07-05, 12:09 PM
CDR114

Bikes: Jamis Eclipse, Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have ultimately decided to overhaul it, keeping the original parts. I started to do the upgrade, but when I was finished stripping all the components off the frame, I determined that the frame showed more wear and tear than I originally thought. I subseqently spent a good bit of time cleaning up rust specks and touching it up. Without a total repaint, it just didn't seem like a good idea to put all the ultegra gear on it. So now I am cleaning and revitalizing all the original components and plan to use it on my trainer and when the winter road conditions are not favorable for my other bikes. I will keep my ultegra group and other extra stuff looking for a good deal on a nice frame and the moment of weakness on my wife's part. The 12.2 is a nice riding frame and with a total overhaul hopefully it will keep going for a bunch of more years. It does have personal value as it is as old as my marriage, so even though she won't say it, I don't think my wife liked the idea of getting rid of it. Thanks for the comments.