Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cycling Tajikistan

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Cycling Tajikistan

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-09, 08:08 PM
crock48

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling Tajikistan

Hello All,

It is getting toward that time of year again when planning for a trip seems to become infectious. I am thinking of arriving in Dushanbe and cycling the northern route (M41 to A372) and cross into Kyrgyzstan then on to Sary Tash and into China/Tibet.

Has anyone cycled this route through Tajikistan? Is the border open to foreigners in this area? It appears to be fairly desolate as compared to the more popular southern route (M41) that passes by the Wahan Valley.

Several years ago I had cycled from Kyrgyzstan to Tajikistan, visiting the Wahan Valley and making a loop back into Kyrgyzstan using the same route.

Any info would be great.

Thank

Chris
Old 01-30-09, 10:15 PM
thesvb

Bikes: trek 520,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't really offer any help, but if you haven't seen this journal it could help:
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/alongridehome

I think he took the route you're describing. Your trip sounds great, and I am also interested in visiting Central Asia this year. Are you an American? If so, what was the visa process like, difficult? What airport are you flying into and how are you connecting?

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-31-09, 10:53 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just a friendly troll here. Be sure to read the part where the kids throw rocks at you until you toss out cigarettes. ...continues to be a humorous vision in my head...
Old 02-01-09, 12:43 PM

Bikes: Two Robin Mather custom built tourers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thesvb
I can't really offer any help, but if you haven't seen this journal it could help:
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/alongridehome

I think he took the route you're describing. Your trip sounds great, and I am also interested in visiting Central Asia this year. Are you an American? If so, what was the visa process like, difficult? What airport are you flying into and how are you connecting?

Thanks for the info.
I can't comment on American passports specifically but in general Central Asia visas are doable but take time. Make sure you start applying at least 3 months ahead of time and if you're doing a trip through the whole region, a double-entry visa for Uzbekistan could be very helpful. Employing a visa agent to do up some of the various letters you'll need is sometimes imperative and usually worth the money in any case to ease the hassle. We've got a little more info here but if you want, just email us with any questions. Happy to help where we can:

https://travellingtwo.com/resources/centralasia/visas
Old 02-01-09, 12:48 PM
Phrenetis
Custom User Title

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jcm
Just a friendly lurker here. Be sure to read the part where the kids throw rocks at you until you toss out cigarettes. ...continues to be a humorous vision in my head...
fixed
Old 02-02-09, 05:16 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phrenetis
fixed
Thanks
Old 02-02-09, 10:21 PM
bernadettebikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
I cycled the other way into Tajikistan from Kyrgystan this summer. The border crossing south of Sary Tash is open to foreigners (Im American too) Just make sure you have all your paperwork in order! I took the southern route through the Wahan so I cant comment but I met some cyclists who took the other route. Apparently there is a sanatorium in Jelondy. I didnt go into China/Tibet good luck with that visa. This summer I met lots of cyclist who were having to jump through lots of hoops but the situation might be different now that the olympics are over.
Happy Trails