Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Specialized Brand?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Specialized Brand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-12, 05:58 PM
AceH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Brand?

Is the "Specialized" bike brand any good or at least half decent? I'm relatively new to cycling and I've never heard of that brand before. I'm in the market for a new bike and a LBS carries that brand.
Old 03-19-12, 06:05 PM
fat_bike_nut

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized is good brand, yes. We have plenty of members here who own bikes made by them. Just wait for their responses...
Old 03-19-12, 06:05 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
A quality brand, well known and popular. Mostly manufactured by Merida in Taiwan, one of the big five factories. Their top end stuff is 1st rate. Entry level is a bit under-specced for the price but well made frames. Without a decal its hard to tell from Trek, Giant or anyone else.
Old 03-19-12, 06:47 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts
I would say they are OK nothing special.....

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-19-12, 07:02 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Specialized is about on par with Trek, BMC, Giant. The Tarmac S works is a hot rod and can be ready to ride at 15.6 pounds depending on wheels. It is a match for the Trek Madone 6.9 and ther Giant TCR-0.
Old 03-19-12, 07:19 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
Kind of like a Trek, but without the resale value.
Old 03-19-12, 07:21 PM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Like anything, you will find fans and then all of the others who are jealous

;-)
Old 03-19-12, 08:27 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am not a fan of the brand, but I have to admit that they produce quality. They have also introduced some innovations that I think should be more widely available. (The Stout hub/QR, the large flat flange on the front hub for a stiffer fork interface, the co-operative effort with Fox to produce the Brain shock)

They are known also for rather fiercely litigating THEIR PERCEPTIONS of copyright infringement.
Old 03-19-12, 08:31 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They make decent bicycles but their customer service sucks!
Old 03-19-12, 08:40 PM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
I had a different experience. There was a problem with some spokes breaking. Specialized replaced the wheels with better ones very quickly for free.
Old 03-19-12, 08:56 PM
dpeters11

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostGreenGuy
Kind of like a Trek, but without the resale value.
You'd be surprised. I was selling a Trek and a guy asked if it was not as good as a Huffy, since he'd never heard of Trek before.

Personally, I haven't seen a bad brand sold at an LBS, though I'm not very familiar with the cruiser market, like Globe and Electra.

If the shop has friendly knowledgable employees and the bike works for you, go for it.
Old 03-20-12, 01:44 AM
Jay D
Human Powered Vehiclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized and Trek are like the Chevys and Fords of the bicycle world. Yeah, there are more exotic brands out there but Specialized accomodates to various rider budgets pretty well and offer some quality bikes. I would always remember my first "real bike" I purchased from an actual LBS which was a Specialized Hardrock Sport. I was barely a teenager so I was putting up some hard earned money from mowing my parents and neighbors yards countless times. Even though it had some very entry level components the bike was very solid and I rode it all the time through out my teens till I eventually sold it at a garage sale while I was in college. I still miss that bike so when it came time to purchase a commuter I was partial to Specialized as the "S" logo envoked fond memories of my childhood.
Old 03-20-12, 02:20 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Hmmmm. No one mentioned Cannondale? I think of Trek, Specialized, Giant and Cannondale to be the larger sellers of bikes.
Old 03-20-12, 09:58 AM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
I broke the frame of my Rockhopper after 12 years of hard use. Specialized gave me a new Hardrock frame, no questions or hassles. Sold the Hardrock frame because the top tube was too long. Even though the frame was a smaller size, I never could get comfortable on it.
Old 03-20-12, 10:19 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by AceH
Is the "Specialized" bike brand any good or at least half decent? I'm relatively new to cycling and I've never heard of that brand before. ...
Specilaized is a good brand. Nothing to worry about. I have several.

When I first heard of them, I was confused as all get out until the dealer finally stopped to explain that he was using the word "specialized" as a brand and not as an adjective.
Old 03-20-12, 01:26 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Both my bikes are Specialized.
1986 RockHopper & 2008 Globe.
I expect them to last longer than me.
Old 03-20-12, 01:33 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Is the "Specialized" bike brand any good or at least half decent? I'm relatively new to cycling and I've never heard of that brand before. I'm in the market for a new bike and a LBS carries that brand.
My Rockhopper coped admirably with me when I was a heavier rider banging it around over rutted gravel and stuff. I've since added a Tricross to the stable and both bikes are great.

I don't know enough about other brands to specifically say whether Specialized is better than Trek, Giant, Genesis etc but they're certainly a good name.
Old 03-20-12, 02:36 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Mark Cavendish and HTC Highroad were able to do pretty well in the TDF with Specialized. But any company that can make bikes that can race in the TDF today might be considered worthy of the designation, good bike. https://annyas.com/tour-de-france-bicycle-logos/
Old 03-20-12, 02:52 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
What bike shops have you visited and which bicycle brands are familiar to you? I'm sure that the LBS that used to service your Schwinn would be glad to see you are upgrading.

You've been a member since May 2010 and you are not familiar with Specialized? That is very interesting!

Last edited by tagaproject6; 03-20-12 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-28-18, 03:29 PM
Jahe123
Novice rider Under 2000 m

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Secteur Sport Compact double

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Answer imho

I have owned a Specialized Secteur Sport since 2012 (2013 model) and have put just under 2000 miles on it. I bought it to commute to work during nice weather (8 miles a day) and put most my miles on by doing just that. I have recently started riding for more performance and fitness, I am keeping up with guys with full carbon bikes (for the most part) and my bike has an aluminum frame with carbon fork. It's been great so far! The on board Shimano Sora STI (18 speed) is not that bad, I was thinking to upgrade drive-train to at least the 105, or Ultegra but it's just not cost effective. I will upgrade when I out perform the bike...long ways off.

Last edited by Jahe123; 04-28-18 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Miss spelling
Old 04-28-18, 03:51 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay D
Specialized and Trek are like the Chevys and Fords of the bicycle world.
You can buy a Chevy Corvette, or a Ford Mustang.

Or you can buy a Chevy Vega or Ford Pinto.

Oops

Specialized and Trek sell a full lineup of bikes from rock bottom to some of the best available.

Just a name doesn't mean much without knowing the model and components.
Old 04-28-18, 06:44 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
They are known also for rather fiercely litigating THEIR PERCEPTIONS of copyright infringement.
Yes. There are many who avoid the brand in order to prevent their over-active lawyers from suing the world.
Old 04-28-18, 06:53 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Whenever I see a query like this I think about a question I asked 10 years buying am intermediate drum kit having not played since I was a kid and I asked someone at a dealers which is the best out of the "known" names.

His response hit the nail on the head .... there's so much competition between them for your money if one of them wasn't any good it'd spread like wildfire and they'd be gone as they lost sales to their competitors with better products at the same price.

Ride a couple of different bikes and see which "feels" best and buy that one .. that said I have a Specialized Rock Hopper Comp and it's been a brilliant bike and was recommended by someone I know who used to own a bike shop.
Old 04-28-18, 06:58 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
So how do you feel about the people at your LBS?

Shop for a bike shop first. When you find a shop with people that you like and feel good about, buy a brand and style of bike they carry at a price point you are comfortable with and you'll never go wrong.
Old 04-28-18, 08:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Specialized like many manufacturers makes a lot of crap at the low end but mid range and higher end tends to be better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.