Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mavic 3.1 UST rims - alternative tires.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-16-12, 02:45 PM
Bokkie
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My Cannondale Gemini came fitted with Mavic 3.1 UST rims and those rather OTT 20mm axles. I spend most of my time cycling on the road and I was wondering what my options are on using alternative 26" tires? I'd like to fit a more road-like tire to the wheels.

The problem is I don't know if there are tubeless road tires out there that'll fit the rims okay. Could you let me know what my options might be?

If I can't get a true tubeless road tire is it possible to fit a conventional inner tube tire to the rims? I can appreciate the objections or impossibility to do so but again, your help would be appreciated.

If there are practical solutions could you recommend some brands or websites that'll help me further. I'm based in the UK by the way.

Regards. Peter.
Old 08-16-12, 03:17 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bokkie
... spend most of my time cycling on the road...
You bought the absolute wrong bike.
Old 08-16-12, 05:29 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/panaracer...59)-prod12510/
You will need to use tubes. Shouldn't be a problem. They may be able to help with a tubeless choise.
Old 08-17-12, 04:08 PM
Bokkie
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg
You bought the absolute wrong bike.
Not so. It was fit for purpose when I first bought it about eight years ago. It's me thats changed. Not all of us can afford other bikes. I have to make do with what I've got and that's why I'm trying to adapt it. Besides, why buy another bike when a tire will do the job.
Old 08-17-12, 04:12 PM
Bokkie
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/panaracer...59)-prod12510/
You will need to use tubes. Shouldn't be a problem. They may be able to help with a tubeless choise.
Thanks davidad. I emailed them but the chap who replied said he's not too aware of UST issues. I went to Evans at Gatwick and they'll have a tyre for me to look at when they open Saturday morning. Is it fair to say then that any regular 26" road tyre will fit the rim providing I use an inner tube? It's the depth the bead sits in that makes mu wary of buying blind without the best information.
Old 08-17-12, 04:44 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Thanks davidad. I emailed them but the chap who replied said he's not too aware of UST issues. I went to Evans at Gatwick and they'll have a tyre for me to look at when they open Saturday morning. Is it fair to say then that any regular 26" road tyre will fit the rim providing I use an inner tube? It's the depth the bead sits in that makes mu wary of buying blind without the best information.
I have no use for tubeless, so I am not up on them. I understand that any 26" mountain bike tyre will work as long as it is an ISO 559 by what ever width you want.
Old 08-17-12, 06:01 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not so. It was fit for purpose when I first bought it about eight years ago. It's me thats changed. Not all of us can afford other bikes. I have to make do with what I've got and that's why I'm trying to adapt it. Besides, why buy another bike when a tire will do the job.
I was under the impression that you had just recently purchased it. Sorry!
Old 08-19-12, 09:49 AM
Bokkie
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg
I was under the impression that you had just recently purchased it. Sorry!
Knowing what I know now, I'd have saved my money and bought something else. It was a dealer's clear-out special price. It's a bit of a lemon. I used to like it when I first got it but there are apparently much better bikes. I used to have a Cannondale 300 road bike. I wish I'd kept it as it was a really good bike. The Gemini wasn't so bad but if I'd bought it as an investment I'd have lost of all my money by now!
Old 08-19-12, 10:01 AM
Bokkie
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's where it got confusing. My tire is stamped 54-559 and 26x2.1. My wife's Raleigh road bike is stamped 700x38C. For some reason and reading that 26" and 29" are common, her old bike (which pre-dated 29") must then, be 26". Thinking that 26" goes into 26" exactly, her tires must fit my rim. So, I took her tire and tube off. I then tried to fit her tire to my rim. The rim went straight through her tire without touching side. Duh? I then checked up and saw that 700x38C is roughly 28". No bloody wonder. I put my original tire back on and I was fortunate to have kept an inner tube from a few years ago. It's rated as 26x1.9 to 26x2.1 so I can ride with a tube for a few weeks until I can perhaps find a faster-rolling tire.

And, can I find the original puncture I had in the tubeless tire? Nope! Not a mark, not a blemish, nothing. Typical. I can see why people are suspicious of tubeless tires. I can't even change wheels as Cannondale (in their infinite asinine stupidity) opted (then) to use a 20mm thru-axle on the front wheel. 20mm axles were so successful that everyone is using them (roll eyes). I can't change the front suss because it only accepts these wonderful 20mm axles so my only option is to replace the forks (not an option) or get someone to build a new wheel for me using the original hub. Who actually said (apart from themselves) that Cannondale is an innovative company?
Old 08-19-12, 10:41 AM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's where it got confusing. My tire is stamped 54-559 and 26x2.1. My wife's Raleigh road bike is stamped 700x38C. For some reason and reading that 26" and 29" are common, her old bike (which pre-dated 29") must then, be 26". Thinking that 26" goes into 26" exactly, her tires must fit my rim. So, I took her tire and tube off. I then tried to fit her tire to my rim. The rim went straight through her tire without touching side. Duh? I then checked up and saw that 700x38C is roughly 28". No bloody wonder. I put my original tire back on and I was fortunate to have kept an inner tube from a few years ago. It's rated as 26x1.9 to 26x2.1 so I can ride with a tube for a few weeks until I can perhaps find a faster-rolling tire.

And, can I find the original puncture I had in the tubeless tire? Nope! Not a mark, not a blemish, nothing. Typical. I can see why people are suspicious of tubeless tires. I can't even change wheels as Cannondale (in their infinite asinine stupidity) opted (then) to use a 20mm thru-axle on the front wheel. 20mm axles were so successful that everyone is using them (roll eyes). I can't change the front suss because it only accepts these wonderful 20mm axles so my only option is to replace the forks (not an option) or get someone to build a new wheel for me using the original hub. Who actually said (apart from themselves) that Cannondale is an innovative company?
Your wife's bike has wheels that are 700c (622mm across) and yours has wheels that are 26" (559mm across). 29" wheels are just 700c wheels with fat tires.

I'm pretty sure you can use a regular tire with a tube on your tubeless wheelset. And I believe Cannondale to be a great company.
Old 08-21-12, 02:00 PM
Bokkie
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alpha Hound, don't get me wrong, Cannondale have and do make some excellent bikes. I sometimes wonder though if the 20mm axle was a step too far. A brilliant solution to a questionable problem. I love their frames for the smooth welds but maybe that's common to all companies now.