Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can anyone identify these Campagnolo parts?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-13-15, 02:47 PM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts

Hi,
I picked up this Campagnolo RD and set of brake levers at my LBS for a low price since they were in their recycled parts bin. I would appreciate any info on these parts so that I know what I should/could use these with and also when they are from. Is the derailleur from a 6 speed freewheel or is it newer? Once again any insight is much appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0329.jpg (94.3 KB, 125 views)
IMG_0331.jpg (95.1 KB, 125 views)
IMG_0330.jpg (96.1 KB, 127 views)
IMG_0332.jpg (97.5 KB, 123 views)
Old 01-13-15, 03:07 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
The levers look like Super record and I am pretty sure the RD is an early Athena. Unfortunately it looks like the B tensioner thingie is already broken

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-13-15, 03:11 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
The RD may be a Campy Xenon
VeloBase.com - Component: Campagnolo F010, Xenon

The levers look like Super Record, maybe with Modolo anatomic hoods?
VeloBase.com - Component: Campagnolo Super Record, Super Record (long reach)
Old 01-13-15, 03:12 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Bianchigirl might be right on the RD
VeloBase.com - Component: Campagnolo Athena
Old 01-13-15, 03:24 PM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 11 Posts
Wait they made you pay for them even though they were going to recycle them? What a rip...
Old 01-13-15, 03:30 PM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Haha well I guess it is an erroneous name for the bin. More like a used parts bin. I hope that the RD is still usable. If it is functioning could I use this with an 8 speed cassette and friction shifters? Is it worth holding onto the levers or would they made good trade material? Pretty much the only Campy parts that I own are a couple of '70's DT shifters and the Campy Athena crankset and derailleurs on my '94 Cannondale R600.
Originally Posted by Henry III
Wait they made you pay for them even though they were going to recycle them? What a rip...
Old 01-13-15, 04:02 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I am sure the levers would make fine trade bate. I find it difficult to tell if the tab is broken in the photo. If it isn't that is pretty unusual. I would sooner trade this derailleur to someone who is trying to put that group together (highly unlikely) than use it myself for fear of the tab snapping as they are so notoriously known for. That said, if you are gentle with it, it should work on an 8 speed cassette in friction mode no problem.
Old 01-13-15, 05:24 PM
greg3rd48 

Geez I hope that it isn't broken. I just saw it and figured "why not?". If nothing else I will return it if the "thingie" is broken. :-)

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
The levers look like Super record and I am pretty sure the RD is an early Athena. Unfortunately it looks like the B tensioner thingie is already broken
Old 01-13-15, 05:26 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The brake levers are Super Record and the derailleur is first model Athena; the adjustable "bushing" (which looks good to me) is for a B adjustment. Prior to this Campy did not believe that a inline parallelogram needed a B adjustment; this same bushing was placed on the Victory rear derailleur and the C-Record also had a B adjustment with a different configuration. The first model Athena was made to compete with Suntour's slant parallelogram. In stead of a drop parallelogram being slanted down like the Suntour patent, Campy created a inline derailleur with the parallelogram slanted back with a downward arc; Campy called it the "Lateral Operating System". Combined with the B adjustment bushing (Campy called this a Multi-Function System and the B adjustment was "inclination") you could adjust the derailleur to follow close to cogs as they slanted downward, from a max cog of 20t to a max cog of 30t. It actually works very well and is one of my favorite derailleurs.

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 01-13-15 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 05:29 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
Athena from this era was a decent indexing derailer if you had a shifter with the correct indexing ring in it for your choice of freewheel.

The B-tension stop at the mounting bolt has a catch tooth on it that you position inside of the toothed bore of the derailer knuckle according to your maximum sprocket size.

I can't see from the photo that there is anything wrong with it, though it is currently in the position that it would fall to if the tooth/teeth were sheared off.
As it sits, seems to be set for a racing corn-cob style of freewheel.

My Xenon rear derailer is a dimensionally-exact copy of your Athena derailer, made from a bit lower material quality and painted silver/gray instead of bare metal. It indexes an S.I.S. 7s freewheel quite well enough, but did require a narrower 9s chain since the indexing ring has a slightly-different cog-spacing standard than Shimano, for use with "Campagnolo/Regina-standard" 7s freewheels.

Ultimately I was thoroughly impressed with how well that the lowest-level Xenon gruppo performs.

Xenon gruppo here (check out those plastic brake levers):
Old 01-13-15, 06:19 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
I believe Xenon was mostly trickle down Athena with some cheaper steel parts and that powdercoat finish.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk