Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bicycling Related Health Risks...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-14, 03:40 PM
DVC45

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

..Since we haven't had one in awhile.

Bike riders risk kidney, genital injuries: study | Fox News

Just in time for Spring.

Last edited by DVC45; 04-05-14 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-05-14, 04:04 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
Do you actually believe what you hear on FoxNews ?? ...Only FoxNews would publish such nonsense.
Old 04-05-14, 08:08 PM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Do you actually believe what you hear on FoxNews ?? ...Only FoxNews would publish such nonsense.
Fox didn't perform the study, they just reported on it. It was published in a scientific journal.
Old 04-05-14, 08:44 PM
Coluber42

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just because someone did a study and some news (or "news") organization reports on it doesn't mean the results are valid, meaningful, correct, useful, etc. The popular press is notoriously bad at accurately portraying the degree of certainty, the limits in practical application of the study, the authors' conclusions about circumstances, contributing factors, etc. They see a title that looks like it will make a splash, and they start splashing.

In this case, I skimmed the article... basically it says that kids crash on bicycles and hurt themselves, and so do grownups sometimes, and they often land on their soft bits when they fall. The best conclusion I can draw from it is that while it's still a good idea to wear a helmet, a helmet doesn't protect your kidneys or your privates, so even if you wear a helmet, you should probably still try not to crash.

No major revelations there.
Old 04-05-14, 08:57 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
I'm not sure how one hurts their kidney's on a bike. All the ouch-bits are in front of you. The kidneys are not.

M.
Old 04-05-14, 09:23 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
I'm not sure how one hurts their kidney's on a bike. All the ouch-bits are in front of you. The kidneys are not.
Perineum contacts top tube hard enough and you'll find out.

The injuries are easy to believe. The study did say that it was quite preliminary however. The question is how common are these injuries from people riding bicycles, how often is there any permanent damage, and what are the likely parameters that cause them. I'd bet a large majority of off-road related.
Old 04-05-14, 09:24 PM
TrekCommuter

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.2 FX & 2015 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I'll take my chances. In the midwest, I see the health risks/results of inactivity almost everywhere.
Old 04-05-14, 09:30 PM
walrus1

Bikes: Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekCommuter
I'll take my chances. In the midwest, I see the health risks/results of inactivity almost everywhere.
Almost exactly my reaction to whenever anyone says anything about my running or cycling.
Old 04-05-14, 09:38 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Yep. And I wonder how much is kidney damage :-)
Old 04-05-14, 09:42 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Actually brought to public attention by Dr. Benjamin Breyer, a urologist at the University of California, San Francisco.

If I remember correctly it was a urologist that brought cyclists the bicycle saddle impotence hoax-scare a couple decades or so ago. However... that did lead to saddles with cutouts... which I kind of like. Knowledge that top bars can be ball-busters isn't a news alert in my book. But something useful might result from this.
Old 04-05-14, 09:47 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Good post. No matter how many "dangers" are listed in regards to bicycling, the health benefits outweigh them immeasurably. The way I see it, the very slight chance of getting a kidney or genitalia injury by bouncing off the top tube pales in comparison to my chances of getting heart disease and other obesity related diseases if I stopped riding.

I officially thumb my nose at this study.
Old 04-05-14, 11:52 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2504 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Knowledge that top bars can be ball-busters isn't a news alert in my book. But something useful might result from this.
Well, I don't know about your stable, but, in mine only two, out of five bikes and two tandems, do not have a sloping top tube...
Old 04-06-14, 12:08 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Perineum contacts top tube hard enough and you'll find out.
I have had some pretty rough contact. However, I don't make a habit of storing my kidneys between my legs so I'm still totally lost.

M.
Old 04-06-14, 06:41 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Well to be fair, they probably include mountain/BMX biking in their study, which will include injury types that more sedate forms of cycling won't. Since they mention young kids being the most affected, I think it's an almost certain bet that BMX style trick failures are involved.
Old 04-06-14, 07:43 AM
downwinded

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip LTD, 2013 Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I agree it sounds like nonsense. All physical activities have some degree of risk. I suspect there's a reason why FauxNews is consistently voted (by other members of the world wide media) as the least accurate news agency.
Old 04-06-14, 08:10 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Well, I don't know about your stable, but, in mine only two, out of five bikes and two tandems, do not have a sloping top tube...
My main ride has the new geometry [sloping top tube]. But even my vintage steel bicycles are my correct size.... which could also be an issue with the general public.

Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
Well to be fair, they probably include mountain/BMX biking in their study, which will include injury types that more sedate forms of cycling won't. Since they mention young kids being the most affected, I think it's an almost certain bet that BMX style trick failures are involved.
I hadn't thought of my road cycling as being sedate. But I agree that jumps and practiced stunts I've seen at the park looks riskier than my 15mph on residential side streets. The stats presented did include a 10 times greater injury rate to non-adults. So maybe much of this is more about the kids unsupervised stunt cycling.
Old 04-06-14, 08:25 AM
Dave Cutter

Originally Posted by downwinded
I agree it sounds like nonsense. All physical activities have some degree of risk. I suspect there's a reason why FauxNews is consistently voted (by other members of the world wide media) as the least accurate news agency.
I thought that Fox was consistently voted most balanced! I've never even heard of the "members of the world wide media" organization you mention. And I performed a couple searches and found nothing. Are you sure you aren't just a hater? Dismissing medical research that could benefit cyclists.... based on a emotional response to a news outlet... seems a bit extreme.
Old 04-06-14, 12:00 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
My main ride has the new geometry [sloping top tube]. But even my vintage steel bicycles are my correct size.... which could also be an issue with the general public.

I hadn't thought of my road cycling as being sedate. But I agree that jumps and practiced stunts I've seen at the park looks riskier than my 15mph on residential side streets. The stats presented did include a 10 times greater injury rate to non-adults. So maybe much of this is more about the kids unsupervised stunt cycling.
Given the database the reuters article says they're using, they're probably looking at all causes of ER visits. That would include stunt riding, but also "getting hit by car". the journal its in is not one I have access to readily, so I can't look at the article to see if there's data showing what the breakdown is.
Old 04-06-14, 01:53 PM
Dave Cutter

Originally Posted by dscheidt
Given the database the reuters article says they're using, they're probably looking at all causes of ER visits. That would include stunt riding, but also "getting hit by car". the journal its in is not one I have access to readily, so I can't look at the article to see if there's data showing what the breakdown is.
Nope.
The researchers analyzed data that had been collected by the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System between 2002 and 2012. The system includes information on patients who came to the 24-hour emergency rooms of about 100 hospitals nationwide, including eight children's hospitals.
Breyer and his team separated the patients by age group and looked at whether each person had been subsequently admitted to the hospital, which would indicate a relatively severe injury. They excluded injuries that had been caused by a collision with a car.

It would appear the researchers did a decent job. They complied lots of good data... not sure if that translates to "useful" data. Without any doubt... cycling does have it's share of injuries. It could be... COULD BE.. the evidence points to cycling having MORE than it's share of injuries. If that is the case... I wouldn't expect to see this to be the end of such studies.

There are activist trying to eliminate school sponsored sports and some of the more violent pro sports. With the public dislike for cyclists on our streets and roads..... I would surprised if we don't see more anti-cyclist type studies.

It is my sincerest hope that the study accomplishes some good or benefit for cyclist. But I am skeptical as to whether that will happen. I am certainly not planning on a Clockwork orange type cycling kit:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
4379579_f520.jpg (55.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-06-14, 02:48 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
With all the kids doing bike stunts at skate parks, kidney and top tube injuries are no surprise. Does not mean such injuries are common for adults riding in the manner most in BFs cycle.
Old 04-06-14, 04:21 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
"This particular study, if anything, shows that the vast majority of people who come to the ER come for minor injuries," said Landon Trost, a urologist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.
Old 04-06-14, 05:02 PM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say wrist or elbow injuries are a greater risk than kidney injuries in"our" line of riding.
Old 04-07-14, 05:43 PM
downwinded

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip LTD, 2013 Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought that Fox was consistently voted most balanced! I've never even heard of the "members of the world wide media" organization you mention. And I performed a couple searches and found nothing. Are you sure you aren't just a hater? Dismissing medical research that could benefit cyclists.... based on a emotional response to a news outlet... seems a bit extreme.
I am a hater. Emotion has nothing to do with it. I also performed a couple of searches and found LOTS of info. I guess I should have said reporters from news media in other parts of the world. Didn't mean to confuse anyone. To aid in your search try using words like "accuracy" or maybe even "license". Here is a start
Study ? Fox News Viewers Most Misinformed
foxBGHsuit
Actually, the folks who I found that most often state FoxNews as being "fair and most balanced" was FoxNews!
It just seems the study in the op was written by Dr. Obvious (I don't think that's a real physician) with a sensationalized headline for the article.
Old 04-07-14, 06:24 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
"Well to be fair, they probably include mountain/BMX biking in their study, which will include injury types that more sedate forms of cycling won't. Since they mention young kids being the most affected, I think it's an almost certain bet that BMX style trick failures are involved. "
Cycling as an extreme sport.
How does extreme walking (ie rock climbing) compare?
Old 04-07-14, 06:48 PM
Joe Perez
Freewheelin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kind of funny, I have a much different view of health risks related to cycling... Getting doored, being run over by a cab, getting sandwiched between a city bus and a delivery truck, falling into a pothole larger than my front wheel, those are the sort of things I think about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.