Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Need Advice Re: Building Manager who won't allow bikes on a public parking sign

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Need Advice Re: Building Manager who won't allow bikes on a public parking sign

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-09, 11:29 PM
TiberiusBTkirk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry I don't have any advice.
I'm just kinda concerned. that looks like a nice bike
and I have a feeling the facilities manager will give every excuse in the book for you to not to lock your bike there. mainly security reasons, remember the bomber at the recruiting station across the street?
and then if she calls the cops the cops will probably be on her side or even give the same security excuse.
the pole being city property they're cut it ASAP.
Old 07-17-09, 11:30 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
Section 7-210 of the NYC Administrative Code makes property owners potentially liable for personal injuries caused by their failure to maintain reasonably safe sidewalks. Property owners must keep their sidewalks clean and are also responsible for snow removal.
- Straight from the NYC DOT web site.

It's a liability issue. If someone trips over your bike they can sue the building owner.
The ordnance is for snow and ice removal. It does not apply to other things like bikes owned by others. Maybe, you think that under this ordnance, the building owner has the right to cut the no parking sign down, because someone might run into it; after all, it is a liability thing.
Old 07-17-09, 11:35 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
The building owner does not have the right to enforce any regulations or no parking on public property. Your problem is: she does have the right to call the police and report a parking violation. Other NYC cyclist have posted about it being illegal to lock to either a tree or public sign. And the NYPD has been reported as being jerks towards cyclist ever since the RNC convention, including cutting locks and impounding bikes.
Old 07-17-09, 11:50 PM
drew55
Daily Commuter-Tampa, FL

Bikes: Orbea Ora, Cannondale R800, old Cannondale, murry mountain bike, EZ Rider recombent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you tried taking this to TA - Transportation Alternatives? They're the cycling advocacy group for NYC and general area.

League of American Bicyclist LCI 3144
♥♥ Please support riders if you can ♥♥
Old 07-18-09, 07:40 AM
Skoal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Start off nice to Rosie. But if she does not see the light someone should leave a junker bike at that sign forever.
Old 07-18-09, 07:47 AM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzywhat
telling me I couldn't park there..
"As you can see, apparently I can!" *continues about my day*

I'm not sure where Rosie fits in though. Maybe she should get a bike too.
Old 07-20-09, 07:59 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Stupid question, could the issues be a post 9/11 security issue? I know you can't leave bags just laying around on the street in front of a building...what's different about putting something bad inside a bike frame?
Old 07-20-09, 08:18 PM
Face-Plant

Bikes: Surly - LHT, Stumpjumper FSR Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, it is a no parking sign...

This must be her logic in why she does not want anyone parking in this spot...

Any way, I would be cool when talking with the build manager, and see if you all can come up with an alternative that would please you both..
Old 07-21-09, 03:54 AM
ridestockholm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-317088.html

Before you see the manager, perhaps you need to find out if it is legal/illegal to do what you are doing. If it's not legal to do it, then no point in talking to her, cuz no matter what, all she has to do is call the cops, who in turn can come, saw through your lock, and take your bike..
Old 07-21-09, 07:37 AM
Kabir424

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There have actually been a number of bikes incinerated/destroyed because of that sticker. It's actually the name of a pretty good folk-punk bank.
Old 07-28-09, 09:06 AM
maddyfish

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any updates on this?
Old 07-28-09, 09:46 AM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
An alternate parking spot has to be better than the current location. It is locked in the middle of NYC. Yikes. It's waiting to be scavenged.
Old 07-28-09, 09:48 AM
lukasz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seriously, I can't believe you still have a bicycle considering where it is locked up.
Old 07-28-09, 11:46 AM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
Stupid question, could the issues be a post 9/11 security issue? I know you can't leave bags just laying around on the street in front of a building...what's different about putting something bad inside a bike frame?
Yeah, and then there are cars. What's different about parking a car on a side of the road or on a parking lot?
Old 07-28-09, 06:28 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,702 Times in 2,522 Posts
I just had a batch of bumper stickers made up that say "this car is a rolling time bomb." --------s that pass me too close are going to be really surprised when they find out the bomb squad just incinerated their car.
Old 07-29-09, 12:12 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^^^ And you made sure to keep your fingerprints off them,right? And paid in cash and shipped to a PO box?

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 07-29-09, 01:59 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Is the building owner liable if I hit the sign with no bike attached?How about a tree or two.What if I stub my toe on the sidewalk,fall down and break my leg in front of her building,is she liable for that too?If somebody parks a wheelchair there,she going to call the cops?If the sidewalk is old and lumpy,can she demand that the city come and replace the complete sidewalk since she has to shoulder the responsibility,must have a perfect sidewalk if there are going to be lawsuits!

This is silly,it's a public sidewalk and your the public.
Old 07-29-09, 02:10 PM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger1

This is silly,it's a public sidewalk and your the public.
... not sidepark nor designated bike stall.
If the building mgr wants to really mess you up, he/she can call the city and have the bike removed.
Old 07-29-09, 04:37 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rosie the building manager is responsible for keeping the tenants happy. Ok, you said the company you work for is a tenant. Ask your supervisor is you can talk to whomever in your company handles the contract with the building owners. Say why. If you can get your company on your side, a quiet note to Rosie from someone in Admin, someone who could conceivably recommend that you all move to some other building, can have an amazing effect.
Old 07-29-09, 04:50 PM
Mr. Underbridge

Bikes: 2003 Giant OCR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ken cummings
Rosie the building manager is responsible for keeping the tenants happy. Ok, you said the company you work for is a tenant. Ask your supervisor is you can talk to whomever in your company handles the contract with the building owners. Say why. If you can get your company on your side, a quiet note to Rosie from someone in Admin, someone who could conceivably recommend that you all move to some other building, can have an amazing effect.
+1, this is almost always the best way to work things, if you can get your company to do it. Money talks.

I had success with that tactic when my health insurance company denied a claim that was brain-dead obvious (they claimed that going to the ER wasn't medically necessary even though I was admitted to the hospital for a week with a life-threatening condition). I fought it with the insurance company for 6 months to no effect. My HR representative solved it in 2 days.

Find out who your facilities manager (or similar) is.
Old 08-03-09, 08:04 AM
fuzzywhat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up just parking it across the street the next few times, but the weather has been so rainy that I haven't biked in for a while. But when I do park my bike across the street, vendors end up surrounding the bike and kind of protecting it.

So that NYC law forcing office buildings to allow bikes in via the freight elevator just passed last week, so there is no point in arguing with Rosie now! My boss is completely open to me bringing my bike into my office, but the question is when the law will start being implemented and how much of a hassle waiting for the freight elevator will be. Rosie will probably be very annoyed having to succumb to this new law.
Old 08-04-09, 10:14 AM
fredgarvin7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Rosie will probably be very annoyed having to succumb to this new law."

After you start bringing your bike in the bldg, be sure to walk it by her office every day and give her a big grin and do "happy feet" as you go by!