Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Bike Up-Keep

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Road Bike Up-Keep

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-15, 03:09 PM
CameronStewart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road Bike Up-Keep

Hey guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice. Just bought myself a road bike and have been riding it since Christmas. What can I do to keep it in tip top condition over winter? Obviously I am riding on the roads and they are at the moment covered in salt and rubbish. The guy in the shop said I shouldn't even ride it in winter because it rusts/wrecks everything but I am wondering if that is true? I can only afford one road bike to be honest.

Cheers guys
Old 01-06-15, 03:15 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If it is a new bike, you probably have a warranty and if so, a owner's manual. Read the manual and follow the maintenance instructions as directed there. That way, if salt "rusts/wrecks everthing " you can make a warranty claim.

The guy in the shop was probably thinking that you wouldn't want to do the maintenance necessary to keep your bike in good order. Like washing any road debris off before putting it away. Cleaning and oiling the chain more frequently, and keeping an eye on all the moving parts for signs of stiffness and lubricating as necessary.
Old 01-06-15, 03:17 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Letting your bike corrode away with salt damage will probably get any warranty claim rejected.

Wash down after use and lubing as necessary should be all that's needed.
Old 01-06-15, 03:21 PM
CameronStewart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheers guys.

Just a simple wash with soap and dry it after year? How do you guys clean the more difficult to reach parts like round the chain etc?
Old 01-06-15, 04:09 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
When I lived in an apartment, I used to put down newspaper and use a mild soap solution, sponge and bucket, to wash the bike and its parts. Since then I've acquired some nice bike brushes that fit all sorts of nooks and crannies. YMMV.

You don't need to clean a chain after every use. Once a week is plenty for a person riding regularly on bad winter streets.

Last edited by cale; 01-06-15 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-06-15, 04:16 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use to take the chain off to clean it. A easier solution is a chain cleaner. Park Tool chain scrubber I hear is a good one. You also want to lube the chain.
Old 01-13-15, 06:53 AM
DosWheelsBtr
Banned

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale CAADX, 1994 Nishiki Performance Equipe

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GCN on youtube has a good video for washing your bicycle very quickly. Should do it often.
Old 01-13-15, 08:43 AM
dh024

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Our streets here see a lot if salt in the winter, which (as others have mentioned) can lead to a premature death of your drive train very fast.

A quick rinse to remove the salt and grime is a really easy bit of preventative maintenance - do it as frequently as possible. An easy system for me is to fill a garden sprayer with water and hose down my bike whenever needed, then put a box fan on it to dry quickly. In the morning, I do a very quick lube and good to go. It only takes a few minutes each day.
Old 01-14-15, 04:27 PM
penguins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure you get a good set of fenders - I can't recommend that highly enough.

I have these: https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/fender...l-fenders-road on my road bike (if you have a bike with more space around the wheels like a mountain bike or touring bike, you can probably find a cheaper option) and after 1000 km on completely wet and salt-covered roads, my frame and most of the components are almost perfectly clean.
Old 01-14-15, 09:44 PM
V73
Menior Sember

Bikes: 1995 Trek Mountain Track 800 Sport, 2005 Diamondback Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This has been useful for me as well. I've been cleaning and lubing the chain and gears once a week or so, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good chain grease for cold? The grease I have is gelling and not working very well.
-Val
Old 01-16-15, 04:54 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by CameronStewart
Hey guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice. Just bought myself a road bike and have been riding it since Christmas. What can I do to keep it in tip top condition over winter? Obviously I am riding on the roads and they are at the moment covered in salt and rubbish...
I have a variant question about riding my pristine carbon fiber bike in winter. Obviously if riding on wet roads with salt, it will be flung into the drive train. But what about on dry roads with caked salt? Would “salt dust” contaminate the drive train significantly? If I were to ride, I would avoid visible salt patches. I realize there may well not be a definitive answer, but "whaddya tink"?

This winter I have ridden my CF bike up to January 1, and it looks like it may be relatively mild (for precipitation), with increased dry road days.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I commute 14 miles one way with drop bars, and carbon fiber bike...makes me crave the ride.
I do have a beater mountain bike with fenders and studded tires otherwise for winter riding.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-16-15 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-16-15, 09:45 AM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rust never sleeps, and salt is the enemy. The effects of moisture alone can be mitigated with proper lubrication, but salt eat parts and can wreak all kinds of havoc.

So obviously keeping it as clean as you can is important, take out every bolt and grease the crap out of it.Grease and lube everything often. Make sure you remove and grease your seatpost often! Salt spray finds it's way down into it and seizes them up.(not on CF frames) I just use standard teflon grease, and I use Boeshield T-9 spray lube for winter. I over lubricate most everything. I'd rather clean dirty lube off than try to remove rust or a stuck seat post. Chains do get rusty easily, much of it is light surface rust that cleans off ok if you keep on it. But I expect that and I replace my chain every spring on my winter commuter.

It's the cost of doing business if you want to keep your bike in good shape. In the meantime save your money for a winter beater, it can be less costly in the long run.
Old 01-16-15, 12:19 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by modernjess
Rust never sleeps, and salt is the enemy. The effects of moisture alone can be mitigated with proper lubrication, but salt eat parts and can wreak all kinds of havoc.

So obviously keeping it as clean as you can is important, take out every bolt and grease the crap out of it.Grease and lube everything often. Make sure you remove and grease your seatpost often! Salt spray finds it's way down into it and seizes them up.(not on CF frames) I just use standard teflon grease, and I use Boeshield T-9 spray lube for winter. I over lubricate most everything. I'd rather clean dirty lube off than try to remove rust or a stuck seat post. Chains do get rusty easily, much of it is light surface rust that cleans off ok if you keep on it. But I expect that and I replace my chain every spring on my winter commuter.

It's the cost of doing business if you want to keep your bike in good shape. In the meantime save your money for a winter beater, it can be less costly in the long run.
Excellent advice. Take it one step further. Go to any auto parts store and buy that blue grease for boat trailer hubs. Completely impervious to salt water. Any bearings that could see alt should be beeded in lots of the stuff. All threads. Seat post. Quill stem. Pedal threads. Anything you use enough of this grease on will look the same next spring (after you do a lot of work to get the stuff off. It is nearly soap, detergent and solvent resistant. But a real bike saver. (Thank you, Colin, former manager at Portland's Bike Galleries.)

Ben