Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I've just survived a bicycle crash

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I've just survived a bicycle crash

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-19, 12:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
This reminds me of the safety issue with cantilever brakes, which were particularly popular on mountain bikes and touring bikes of the 1980s.

The reflector bracket acted as a catch arm, but many people either took them off or left them off when they came loose - this left a potential time bomb in place; if the main brake cable snapped, the short relay cable joining the brake cantilevers dropped onto the tyre, stopping the wheel dead.

Anyone using cantilever brakes must ensure there are catch arms mounted, such as the stock reflector brackets.

Here's an example of someone who's fate lies with a crushed cable and an M6 nut. If that fails, brake failure will be the least of the rider's problems - and fast.

Same. When I bought my used '93 Univega the reflector mount/cable catchers had been removed. I considered replacing 'em, but I switched to all purpose tires with minimal file tread so there's less risk in the unlikely event of a canti brake cable snapping and turning the straddle cable into a tripwire. And while I've heard of several catastrophic crashes caused by front fender struts breaking, or sticks getting jammed in the front wheel, I don't recall ever hearing of an endo caused by a straddle cable snagging a heavily treaded front tire.

Yet.

Cross wood, knock fingers, etc.
Old 12-19-19, 12:56 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
What the hell would you have to do to a bike to get the front brake cable to snap? Use catgut?
Yup, another reason I decided not to worry about it. The canti brakes from that era were fitted with massively strong cables. A rider would need to ignore fraying and broken strands for a long time for it to be dangerous. A more likely -- and still improbable -- scenario would be a loose clamping bolt at the straddle cable hanger.

But as a former safety and health inspector I had worst-case-scenario drilled into my head by instructors, so I still consider those risks with everything in life. When one has seen enough mangled bodies and deaths caused by confluences of seemingly improbable events, omissions and negligence, it kinda changes ones perspective in favor of caution.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-19-19, 03:38 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
Yep. The later versions of cantilever brakes (Shimano 1990's) had a splitter with only one cantilever side hooked up to the smaller cable. Then the main cable continued through the splitter sleeve, and down to the other side of the brake cantilever. So if either cable snapped, only a loose piece would fall on to the tire. It was highly unlikely to cause a crash.
+1 I think Shimano calls those "link wires."
Old 12-19-19, 04:49 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
he'd be safer with a fender to catch that cable
A fender/mudguard will also catch it, yes.