Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

1954 René Herse

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-23, 11:03 AM
alexihnen 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 200 Posts
1954 René Herse

I've decided to not undertake the restoration of this bike and instead keep my focus on 70s/80s American made bikes - a tough decision! This bike presents well and has a lot going for it, but has challenges as well. Of particular note, there is a small hole near the bottom bracket. I assume that this is from corrosion. I've pulled the bottom bracket and it doesn't look terrible inside. The seat post will need replaced as the brake cable pass-through has been hacked away at by a previous owner. One of the front brake bolts has broken off in the mount and will need to be machined out. The bike does not have the Herse stem. It is a repaint. That's the bad. The good is that nearly everything his present for a fantastic restoration - brakes, cranks, Maxi-car hubs, generator, fenders, lights, etc. It's a wonderful bike that deserves a new life.

This is the bike that was sold at the Copake bicycle auction in 2021 for a final sale price of $5,228. I don't believe that the auction did a worthy job of documenting the bike and so it's worth less than that amount. I'm hoping to get it into the hands of someone who will restore it.

Top tube: 57.5cm center-to-center
Seat tube: 58.5cm center-to-center
Head tube: 19cm

$3,800 + shipping from Cincinnati

Last edited by alexihnen; 10-13-23 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-17-23, 10:24 AM
alexihnen 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 200 Posts
Sale pending.
Likes For alexihnen: