Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Threadless headset ; changed out stem now the headset will not tighten

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-17, 02:47 PM
jambon

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi ,

As in the title , I changed out a stem on a bike with a threadless headset . But after doing so the headset wont tighten up . I assume the new stem is slightly shorter than the old one and so the total height of spacers and stem combined has decreased .I tighten the cap bolt as much as I can but still the spacers are not pressurised and can jiggle about freely .

Will putting a 3mm spacer in there sort this out ? I say 3mm as that is the smallest I can seem to come across wirth an online search .

Thanks for any help ,

J
Old 06-08-17, 02:48 PM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You didn't tighten the stem all the way first did you?
I've gotten 1 1/8 spacers as small as 2mm, pretty sure I've seen as small as .5mm
Old 06-08-17, 02:51 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jambon
Hi ,

As in the title , I changed out a stem on a bike with a threadless headset . But after doing so the headset wont tighten up . I assume the new stem is slightly shorter than the old one and so the total height of spacers and stem combined has decreased .I tighten the cap bolt as much as I can but still the spacers are not pressurised and can jiggle about freely .

Will putting a 3mm spacer in there sort this out ? I say 3mm as that is the smallest I can seem to come across wirth an online search .

Thanks for any help ,

J
Your steer tube should be slightly shorter than the top of your stack of spacers. Like maybe 1/8". You don't need that cap to be super tight, just tight enough to take the slack out. What you want tight is the pinch bolts on the stem, that's what actually holds everything together.
Old 06-08-17, 03:07 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
None of us will be able to tell if a 3mm spacer will work because we can't see the bike.

But you definitely NEED a spacer, of some kind. And the top cap bolt does NOT get tightened all of the way, just enough to preload the bearings.
Old 06-08-17, 03:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If the stem is flush with the top edge of the steerer tube, the top pre load cap cannot work as designed.

then you must put a spacer above it... stem bolts loose, around the steerer, until after the headset is right.

Old 06-08-17, 03:48 PM
jambon

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
If the stem is flush with the top edge of the steerer tube, the top pre load cap cannot work as designed.

then you must put a spacer above it... stem bolts loose, around the steerer, until after the headset is right.

Yes thats the problem .

I have the stem at the bottom (40mm) then the two spacers above it (10mm) each . The top spacer is flush with the steerer so the pre load cap is not working . I was thinking a 3mm spacer but will this work sitting unsupported by any steerer tube on top of the 10mm stem below it ? Would not a better move be to remove the top 10mm spacer and pop in a 13mm or 12mm spacer if such a thing exists ?
Old 06-08-17, 03:58 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes thats the problem .

I have the stem at the bottom (40mm) then the two spacers above it (10mm) each . The top spacer is flush with the steerer so the pre load cap is not working . I was thinking a 3mm spacer but will this work sitting unsupported by any steerer tube on top of the 10mm stem below it ? Would not a better move be to remove the top 10mm spacer and pop in a 13mm or 12mm spacer if such a thing exists ?
Remove a 10 mm spacer, place 3mm spacer under, replace 10mm spacer, replace top cap.
Old 06-11-17, 04:33 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Isn't it possible that from overtightening the top bolt that he has borked the starnut?
Old 06-11-17, 06:44 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi ,

Thanks for any help ,

J
I once bought a fork at swap meet and wanted to put it on my bike to ride home. (threadless) I didn't have enough spacer thickness for the length of the fork so I recruited somebody to put all their weight on the bars and stem, tightened it and rode home. It steered fine, but I did get another spacer.

Don in Austin