Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pedals with clips and straps

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-18, 11:16 AM
voyager1

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

What is the trick into getting into these blasted things. I have tried for about 20 mins on a couple occasions and I could get one foot into one of them but dang it if I could get the other foot into the other. The darn thing just spins around my foot or I miss getting it into it. I have tried YouTube for a video and for the life of me can't find one.

So what's the trick?
Old 02-25-18, 11:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I use fairly smooth sole shoes .. favorite pedal Campagnolo road, steel , with a flip tab on them..

the toe strap stiff, not floppy.. and a trick I adopted from old cyclocrossers , who raced toe clip pedals, before Spud pedals invention..

a ramp cut from another old toe clip was added inside the front pedal plate from axle lets the shoe sole toe slip easily into the toe clip..

BTW they put both feet in at once, immediately after remounting from barrier jumps and run ups.. pedals at 3: and 9:00..

these were typically double sided pedals.. Lyotard 460D a classic...

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-25-18 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-25-18, 11:58 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
I use pedal flips...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pedal.jpg (236.3 KB, 93 views)
Old 02-25-18, 12:08 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Here's what mostly works for me: put one foot in, start pedaling with the other foot on the reverse (platform) side, then lightly slide the uncaged foot backwards to rotate the pedal, then put the foot in. Don't put too much pressure on the pedal as it's rotating, otherwise it'll keep spinning. I have the straps very loose though because I don't really care for them -- I'm just using them until my new clipless/platform combo pedals arrive.
Old 02-25-18, 12:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I was Describing essentially a pedal flip inside the pedal .. double sided pedal grippy enough..

another trick,

I cut the toe strap , bolted the portions on. so mud from shoes wont build up on top of the strap..

Preferred them <c> NR, on my long bike tours because i can wear loosely fitting shoes , comfy insoles .

so foot blood circulation un constricted..

Spud shoes would come off your foot as often as release, if as loosely fitting..

Old 02-25-18, 12:51 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
...use fairly smooth sole shoes ..
+1
Old 02-25-18, 03:03 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Do you have a good place where you can practice?

I think that's one of those "the harder you try the more elusive it gets" things. Practice till you get frustrated. Then put the bike away for awhile and come back to it when you're fresh. My bet is, once your not feeling pressured, you'll just pick it right up.
Old 02-25-18, 04:06 PM
providencebikes
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Throw them in the trash and get clipless , get mountain or street style cycle shoes. I never had one trouble with toe clippers its hard to explian i just tap it with my toe and slip my foot in ...
Old 02-25-18, 04:47 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Toe clips with straps are a pain in the neck if you're wearing walking or running shoes with wide toe boxes and thick grippy soles. In other words, pretty much any walking/running shoe that's comfortable to walk/run in.

Toe clips were designed for use with cleated smooth soled shoes with very stiff soles, often with steel or other inserts for stiffening. Touring shoes were less rigid, pretty similar to bowling shoes with more rigid soles. Smooth leather, no grippy rubber edges to snag on the pedals, toe clips and straps.

If you have some dress type shoes (be careful not to scuff them) or casual leather shoes like moccasins or deck shoes, try those around the block. You'll probably find them easier to slip in and out of toe clips.

There's at least one company that still makes a nylon or plastic cleat that can bolt to new style clipless shoes without the recessed insert. I considered those for my Scott Pro Road shoes, which are similar in styling to my old Detto Pietros. But, nah, I went with Look delta cleats and pedals. They work better. No need to reach down to cinch or open a strap quickly in traffic. Less constriction on the toes -- to be effective the straps need to be cinched down, which can interfere with circulation to the toes.

But if you prefer to walk and ride with the same shoes, get SPDs and mountain bike type shoes. Most of my cycling friends who started with road type shoes, cleats and pedals switched to mountain bike pedals and shoes. But I seldom ride my road bike in traffic where I need to unclip a lot or walk, so the Look and similar cleats/pedals are fine for me. I still prefer platforms and comfortable shoes for casual rides, errands and combining riding and walking.
Old 02-25-18, 05:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
I use pedal flips...
I've been making my own for years. I make them a little bigger tha hhwat you have and out of 1/2" x 1/8" steel flat bar. (They have to be strong. The day will come when all your weight is on it if you ride fix gears in traffic.) Because these large weights rotate teh pedal down,making pick of that tab hard, I weight the front of the pedal with heavy washers.

The big tabs are a blessing on the fix gear in hills. Yes I lug another excess ounce of so of weight. But just one stop midway up the hill and missed pickup will cost me the rest of that day with the next very hard pedal stroke with no speed at all. And reliable, quick starts in traffic makes for much more fun riding.

Ben
Old 02-25-18, 07:35 PM
h8m3
Two Wheeled Unicycle

Bikes: 2014 Giant Revel 1 | 2008 Specialized Allez Elite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking of getting pedals with straps