Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What size rear rack do I need?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-19, 07:58 PM
Buckster37

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am interested in purchasing a light weight rear rack that is compatible with a men's XL Cannondale Quick 5 with disc brakes.
Old 12-29-19, 10:26 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Buckster37
I am interested in purchasing a light weight rear rack that is compatible with a men's XL Cannondale Quick 5 with disc brakes.
Just about any rack should work. Assuming a newer model bike,the flat mount brake should make it simple. You won’t need any kind of spacer or adapter. If you do need an adapter, I would still suggest any rack while using this adapter. It allows for more flexibility over other kinds of disc racks.

As for the rack, Tubus is expensive but stiffer and better in the long run.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-29-19, 10:37 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
As @cyccommute suggested, assuming the brake calipers are inside the rear triangle, then a great number of racks will work.

Looking at photos, it appears as if the bike should have both upper and lower rack mounts which makes it easier.

It also looks like the lower rack mount point is about 1" to 1 1/2" above the axle. That means that a rack designed for a 26" wheel may fit the bike quite well, but the size won't make a big difference.

I prefer the "touring" style racks that have some kind of rear support to keep panniers from flopping into the wheel.
Old 12-30-19, 07:05 PM
Buckster37

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. One quick edit: I actually have an XL Quick 4 (not 5). Should that make a difference?
Old 12-30-19, 08:38 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Buckster37
Thanks for the responses. One quick edit: I actually have an XL Quick 4 (not 5). Should that make a difference?
No. Larger frames are easier to fit racks to than smaller bikes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-01-20, 04:05 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

I prefer the "touring" style racks that have some kind of rear support to keep panniers from flopping into the wheel.
This is essential if you want to mount side bags. The bigger the better, because you want the bags as far away from the pedals as possible if you want to avoid heel strike.

Before the tandem I found my bags had to be almost entirely outside the wheelbase on a 26in MTB.
Old 01-01-20, 03:07 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Just about any rack should work. Assuming a newer model bike,the flat mount brake should make it simple. You won’t need any kind of spacer or adapter. If you do need an adapter, I would still suggest any rack while using this adapter. It allows for more flexibility over other kinds of disc racks.

As for the rack, Tubus is expensive but stiffer and better in the long run.
+1 on the Tubus. That rack when attached properly is like a part of the frame is is so secure. No wobble, squeeks or vibrations. It is also made of thin walled steel tubing (except the upper rod to the seat stays) and lighter than many alloy racks. Spare parts of easily available, as are fitting options.

My only change would be to have the rear light mount location a bit inboard of the rear of the top platform of the rack to better protect the light.
Old 01-06-20, 01:19 AM
onepusher

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rack

Sounds like a Double D rack is best..