Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pacific Outdoor Equipment panniers?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-11, 12:54 PM
Uosdwis R Dewoh

Bikes: Soma Saga, Vintage Roberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone have any experience with Pacific Outdoor Equipment, specifically their Panniers series? I searched the forums but didn't see more than a passing reference or two. I found a good deal on some of their panniers, but I'd like to know how they stack up to Ortlieb, Axiom, Carradice, etc.

They look pretty solid and I like the idea of riding with American-made accessories.
Old 02-27-11, 01:48 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
I don't know much about POE. However, after reading thru their website, I find no reference to nor claim of "made in usa".

If USA-made is an important criteria, check Lone Peak panniers. They are supposedly made in UT, although it would not surprise me if they are actually made somewhere in SE Asia.

check "matched sets" page for better deals

https://www.thetouringstore.com/LONE%...eak%20Home.htm
Old 02-27-11, 02:06 PM
Uosdwis R Dewoh

Bikes: Soma Saga, Vintage Roberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
I don't know much about POE. However, after reading thru their website, I find no reference to nor claim of "made in usa".

If USA-made is an important criteria, check Lone Peak panniers. They are supposedly made in UT, although it would not surprise me if they are actually made somewhere in SE Asia.

check "matched sets" page for better deals

https://www.thetouringstore.com/LONE%...eak%20Home.htm
Ah... I was misinformed. After digging a little deeper, I found they are designed in the USA but have been manufactured in China (where else?) for the past 20 years. I still appreciate the fact that they sponsor environmental organizations, purchase carbon offsets, and use a lot of recycled materials with minimal offgassing. Based on their business philosophy, I'd like to think they're produced equitably, but it would still be nice if those production jobs were US jobs. Ah well... might buy em anyway because they look solid and I found them for dirt cheap.