Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

tires for newbie

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

tires for newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 11:33 PM
GaryinLA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tires for newbie

HI I have been biking on roads and bike paths for a 1.5 years (I am in my 40's) to drop weight. Been riding old steel framed hybrids and road bikes. A coworker just told me he is going to get back into riding on mountain bike trails in the greater Los Angeles area and invited me to join him.

So I think i need to get some tires and can use some input.

Here's what (in addition to a few road bikes with thinner tires) i have that i have been riding on roads (I have no experience on mountain trails etc.). I have 2 steel framed (non suspension) hybrid bikes with 700c wheels and tires. Frankly i dont like to ride these so much anymore except on late night rides on city sidewalks and bad city streets, riding mostly alone for excercise/recreation. I started out riding these bikes because i was more comfortable on them before i lost 43 pounds (I am down to 175 pounds now at 5.9.) and moved on to road bikes with thinner tires (I found my favorite is Panacela Tourguard 32cm). On one bike i have Marathon Plus 38cm tires that i dont like to ride on on roads, too heavy. On the other, i have 40cm chinese tire also with tread for road that are lighter that i like better.

But sitting in the garage I have two Bridgestone MB3 steel framed (non suspension) old mountain bikes with 26" wheels that need overhaul and new tires. I got these a few months ago off craigslist with vague ideas of converting them for road use, but didnt get around to it since i have other bikes.

So my coworkers going to invite me to ride on some local mountain bike trails. I might get into this regularly. I have never done this sort of riding. I assume they are dirt trails and what are called fire roads. Being in LA area i assume they get some steady use and arent in a wilderness condition.

My first and favorite idea (since it is no money) is whether i can use own of my hybrid bikes with the road tread fat tires. Is this just a terrible idea or can i get away with it for awhile to see if i like mountain biking?

My next idea is to get some sort of 26" dual use tire that i can use 90% of the time on road but will meet minimum needs for occasional mountain biking. Whats the best one to get?

My next idea (which is my 2nd favorite idea since i want to get them anyway to ride on roads for fun) is to get Schwalbe Big Apple 26" tires. I think id enjoy these on a road but dont know if theyd be any good on a trail. Would they be of any use to me on a trail? Would the widest ones i could fit on my MB3 be 2"?

Then my last idea would be to get dedicated mountain bike 26" tires. I am not too keen on this idea since they may sit in my garage unused almost all the time. But since i have two MB3 bikes i could always swap a set of wheels out with more road suited tires on it for my road riding (or ride one of my other bikes on roads.)

So if u were me and just wanted to try some mountain biking and not spend more money than necessary what would you do ?

Thanks

Last edited by GaryinLA; 08-16-12 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-17-12, 07:59 AM
proileri

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my experience with mixed riding, if it's smooth desert trail, you barely need any grip at all. With pretty much any green woodland, there's always some mud or passing over roots, and you'll start needing some traction.

If your friend thinks it could be done with a cyclo-cross bike, Schwalbe has Sammy Slick in 700 x 1.3 that seems pretty nice for dry fire road use. If you suspect rolling through a small amount of mud, Schwalbe Racing Ralph might be better. For anything more difficult, I'd probably for for a 26" where you can get more serious grip.
Old 08-18-12, 12:07 AM
GaryinLA

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Im sure the bike trails are not merely dry hard sand however. I believe they are hilly wooded areas on well ridden dirt paths. I think there are both to be some branches,roots, rocks here and there. I dont know if i will ever do off road riding more than once or twice. This guy who invited me used to do it a lot and says hes going to get back into it and invite me along, and im up to try it. Ive seen youtubes of fire roads in Glendale area, they are mountainous dirt roads.
With my biking right now, often i bike from home in mid city and go to paved bike paths (or just stay on roads), so even if when i do this off road riding, i might want to ride on roads from home.
Also though I dont need any more road/commuter bikes with road tires, it's always nice to have options and variety withthem, which is why i picked up the 2 old Bridgestone mB3 bikes to start with when i saw a great deal on them (someone who had to move out of his house.) So I googled about dual purpose tires and came up with the Schwalbe Marathon Cross tire. Im considering that but i might just take my steel framed hybrid with the 40m road tread chinese tires on my first off road ride and see how it goes. If i think im going to do a lot of off roading im thinking im better off with dedicated off road tires like the Schwalbe mountain bike tires to put on my Mb3 with 26" wheels.
Old 08-24-12, 08:49 AM
Lime1GT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GaryinLA
My next idea is to get some sort of 26" dual use tire that i can use 90% of the time on road but will meet minimum needs for occasional mountain biking. Whats the best one to get?
https://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Mountain/CrossMark.aspx

When I bought my Cannondale Trail SL2 I had the LBS install Maxxis Crossmark. I had been test driving other bike brands and found these tires gave a nice smooth ride, due to the center rib fill, on concrete. I ride 90% road but still like the rough trails.
Old 08-24-12, 09:58 AM
mystolenbikes

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glendale fire roads are easy steady climb and fast descents so you gonna need something with some side grip. You should just pick up a pair of cheap off road tires for your mt bike and be done with it.

Word of caution don't let the fire roads fool you on the way down. They are fast and flowy speeds can climb up very easily and there are many sections with gravel or washed out so be careful.