Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Headset Spacer Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Headset Spacer Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-14, 03:36 PM
glfguy8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Headset Spacer Question

I've been playing around with headset spacers trying to get my stem down a little.

Is it OK, to remove the last spacer and put the stem on top of the top cap, or do I have to keep one spacer in there? If it matters, it's an FSA Z-series w/ a carbon top cap.

And yes, I'll cut the steerer as soon as I find a position I'm comfortable with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140817_132242.jpg (89.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-17-14, 03:46 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,436 Posts
The answer depends on the headset/top cap and stem designs. The issue is that something has to bear on the centering cone and press it without touching what surrounds it. So if the cone is under the top cap, then yes, or if the bottom of the stem is square and won't touch the top cap in lieu of a cone above, then yes again.

But some stems and touch the part below and not sit squarely on a centering cone, and that would interfere with function. This is a rare problem, but you need to check for it. If in doubt, you can always use a 1/16" spacer under the stem.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-17-14, 03:58 PM
glfguy8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. How would I know if there was a problem, just an inability to tighten it all down without binding?

Originally Posted by FBinNY
The answer depends on the headset/top cap and stem designs. The issue is that something has to bear on the centering cone and press it without touching what surrounds it. So if the cone is under the top cap, then yes, or if the bottom of the stem is square and won't touch the top cap in lieu of a cone above, then yes again.

But some stems and touch the part below and not sit squarely on a centering cone, and that would interfere with function. This is a rare problem, but you need to check for it. If in doubt, you can always use a 1/16" spacer under the stem.
Old 08-17-14, 04:35 PM
Slash5

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
If it's a carbon steerer tube you should check the manufacturers instructions. Some say you always need a spacer below the stem. Some say you always need a spacer above the stem.
Old 08-17-14, 04:35 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by glfguy8
Thanks for the info. How would I know if there was a problem, just an inability to tighten it all down without binding?
That's one clue, the other if the cone fits into the top of the top cap, is to look for a small gap under a spacer or the stem proving that it's bearing on the cone without bottoming. (on designs where the trim cover is basically a fancy spacer, and the cntering cone hidden underneath, the correct fit is engineered in and you needn't worry.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.