Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

stem/headset spacers?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

stem/headset spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-15, 08:39 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
stem/headset spacers?

I replaced my stem today, but it seems the new one doesn't take up as much room on the tube as the old one, so I have about a 1/8 space of exposed metal. I suppose it is mostly a cosmetic thing, and probably helps protect it from the elements in bad weather; but do they sell very small spacers. Right now, the stem is sitting on top of all of the standard (3/8"?) spacers; with about 1/8 inch between the top of the stem and the top cap (don't know the technical term for that thing).

Should I try to find a set of small spacers to fill that area? Or is it not a big deal?
Old 02-21-15, 08:49 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by 12strings
I replaced my stem today, but it seems the new one doesn't take up as much room on the tube as the old one, so I have about a 1/8 space of exposed metal. I suppose it is mostly a cosmetic thing, and probably helps protect it from the elements in bad weather; but do they sell very small spacers. Right now, the stem is sitting on top of all of the standard (3/8"?) spacers; with about 1/8 inch between the top of the stem and the top cap (don't know the technical term for that thing).

Should I try to find a set of small spacers to fill that area? Or is it not a big deal?
Spacers on threadless headsets aren't cosmetic. Without the proper spacers, you can't load the bearings on the headset properly and the headset will loosen. Headset spacers come in a variety of thicknesses from 20mm to 3mm. You need about 3mm of space between the top of the stem and the stem cap to properly load the bearings.

It's a big deal. A loose headset is easily damaged and may have to be replaced. Don't let a $3 part cost you much more than that.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-21-15, 08:52 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
if i'm understanding the situation correctly (and i may not), you've managed to assemble the stem/headset correctly and are left with a gap between the top of the stem and the cap, such that the steerer tube is exposed.

spacers above the stem and the stem cap itself are essentially assembly tools. IME, a stem can be fitted correctly without their use. OTOH, if you are inexperienced installing a stem and adjusting a headset without the use of a stem cap and the proper length of spacer(s), if needed, above the stem, it might be a good idea to double check that the stem/headset is adjusted correctly.

so, as stated, if correctly adjusted, you don't really need anything more. in fact, you don't need the cap either. but stem spacers are readily available online. aluminum or carbon. google "headset spacer".

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 02-21-15 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-21-15, 09:15 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You are understanding my description correctly, but my other online research over the last hour has led me to believe that cyclo-commute is correct...the design of a thread-less stem set-up is such that the top cap compresses the stem and spacers together to tighten up the whole thing.

So, while it IS possible that I may be able to press the stem down pretty tight, and then tighten it so that the stearing tube is held in place enough to function, it is not really the way it is designed to work, and could lead to failure.

Thanks.
Old 02-21-15, 09:44 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by 12strings
You are understanding my description correctly, but my other online research over the last hour has led me to believe that cyclo-commute is correct...the design of a thread-less stem set-up is such that the top cap compresses the stem and spacers together to tighten up the whole thing.

So, while it IS possible that I may be able to press the stem down pretty tight, and then tighten it so that the stearing tube is held in place enough to function, it is not really the way it is designed to work, and could lead to failure.

Thanks.
huey is theoretically correct that headset adjustment can be done without using the top cap and spacers for compression but it's an unreliable technique. cyccommute is "more right:" as reliably and properly setting the headset adjustment is far better done using the top cap and bolt working on stacked spacers. As long as there is a 3 mm or so gap so the top of the steerer is below either the top of the stem or the top of a spacer above the stem adjustment is easy.
Old 02-21-15, 10:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Like the stem where it is , height-wise? add a spacer on top of the stem and the cap goes on top of it.

you press the headset down , into preload adjustment from the top thru the stack of spacers & the loose stem.

but the spacer-stem stack has to be higher than the steerer tube itself. so the cap does not bottom out on the steerer tube before the headset is in proper Preload.

Putting a QBP Problem Solvers' Locking Spacer on first , directly above the upper race. holds the adjustment and the fork wont fall out,

while you move the stack of spacers and stem over it .. Integrated headset was kept together that way..

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-21-15 at 10:35 AM.