Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Warm Mid-layer for Road Riding

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Warm Mid-layer for Road Riding

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-16, 09:52 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
Yeah, what @nycphotography said. You guys naming these expensive cycling specific pieces are flushing your money. I use a generic wool t shirt as my mid layer.
An actual cycling jersey can be worn as a mid-layer OR an outer layer. I reckon I'm saving money by not purchasing superfluous 'mid-layer' garments

Having said that, I'll double up on a baselayer sometimes, too. Usually my Craft short sleeve baselayer plus a Craft long sleeve zip neck baselayer then a thermal jersey. I recently added an Icebreaker merino wool tank (Sierra Trading Post purchase, like much of my cycling clothing) which should work nicely with another long sleeve baselayer on top, too, when I'm feeling like I don't want the longer neck of the Craft s/s.
Old 11-28-16, 09:59 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'm not really looking for a jacket, outerwear, anything "Barrier" or waterproof/windproof. I also just purchased a bunch of Craft wind-block base layers so am good in terms of next-to-skin and wind block.

I need a very warm mid-layer for cycling down to 32°f, that's all. Insulation and wicking with low loft/bulk are my concerns.
Man, as a Minnesotan, I'd be boiling in all of that at 32°.

Originally Posted by joejack951
An actual cycling jersey can be worn as a mid-layer OR an outer layer. I reckon I'm saving money by not purchasing superfluous 'mid-layer' garments
This is what I like about non-cycling-specific merino shirts - can wear them under a jacket while riding in the winter, but I also wear them daily fall-through-spring.
Old 11-28-16, 10:04 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
This is what I like about non-cycling-specific merino shirts - can wear them under a jacket while riding in the winter, but I also wear them daily fall-through-spring.
Anything I'm wearing on the bike is typically way too tight for me to wear it off the bike. My jerseys and baselayers are also extra long which helps keep me tucked in but would look quite odd with a pair of jeans, even though a few of my baselayers are otherwise just t-shirt shaped.
Old 11-28-16, 10:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Rapha makes some nice stuff.
Old 11-28-16, 10:11 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by joejack951
Anything I'm wearing on the bike is typically way too tight for me to wear it off the bike. My jerseys and baselayers are also extra long which helps keep me tucked in but would look quite odd with a pair of jeans, even though a few of my baselayers are otherwise just t-shirt shaped.
Ah. My jacket certainly has room for a fitted, but not skin tight, base layer. I always give myself some extra stuffing room with winter gear.
Old 11-28-16, 10:24 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I just use hiking and climbing clothes on the bike. I have so many merino base layers in all kinds of weights, a bunch of wind breakers, soft shells, goretex, down, synthetic, everything but fleece. Stuff is extremely versatile, it's comfy, and I already have it.

It's Fredly, but anyone who spends enough time on the bike has a little bit of Fred in him.
Old 11-28-16, 10:29 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Man, as a Minnesotan, I'd be boiling in all of that at 32°.
Yeah, but it's a dry heat.
Old 11-28-16, 03:55 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Thanks for all the suggestions and links.

I had been considering the three jerseys below but just now ordered the 7Mesh.

I like the high neck on all three.

The Icebreaker is interesting but a bit of an unknown. The Castelli looks like a super nice garment but has many of the attributes of a jacket for my needs right now.

The 7Mesh looks like a very versatile jersey - an outer layer in milder conditions and a mid-layer in very cold weather. The fact that the founder was a former president of Arc'teryx gives me hope that this is at that level. I called 7Mesh in Squamish, BC this morning and spoke with Ian who was very helpful and straightforward about fit, how much the fabric stretches, etc.

So I'll follow up when it arrives.

-Tim-
Old 11-28-16, 06:31 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I just use hiking and climbing clothes on the bike. I have so many merino base layers in all kinds of weights, a bunch of wind breakers, soft shells, goretex, down, synthetic, everything but fleece. Stuff is extremely versatile, it's comfy, and I already have it.

It's Fredly, but anyone who spends enough time on the bike has a little bit of Fred in him.
This just reminded me: with a cycling specific jacket, the pockets and trim fit should be under control, so the slightly looser fit of a sweater beneath should not be an issue. It gets flattened. I've actually relegated a cheap scarf to cycling duty. It works to keep the front warm as well as a neck warmer without adding bulk around arms.
Old 11-28-16, 06:45 PM
benetga

Bikes: Trek 1.1, Nashbar Carbon105 , Specialized Rockhopper-SS, Aventon Aventure

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I just got this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quality is good and looks to be a great mid-layer shirt. The collar comes up nicely around my neck when zipped up. It was a little pricey but it is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 11-28-16, 06:55 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I've just ordered a pair of these for myself and my wife: Voler: Caliber Men's Thermal Jersey

I like orange. They haven't come yet, so no report, but I've liked everything Voler I have. I normally don't wear a shell unless it's raining because I get soaked. Note that this jersey is race fit. And not $175.
Old 11-28-16, 07:21 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Not sure if anyone has used these before but if you wanna stay warm for super cheap I recommend the poly pro tops and bottoms they sell at Army surplus stores. They're OD in color, very light, very inexpensive, and really work well IME. You can find them on eBay too, which is where I bought mine. Spend $20-30 and you're good to go. I wear them underneath my jerseys on really cold days.

I also wear long johns - that is the top. Light, cheap, and pretty warm as well.
Old 11-28-16, 07:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest

Word.
Old 11-28-16, 11:04 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I have bought Under Armor Cold Gear and heavy Nike Dri-fit at Marshalls/TJMaxx, etc for $20 a pop. If you want wool, my hiking buddy says the Minus33 is relatively inexpensive, but nice wool. Looks like it's on sale at Amazon today. Check out the price history with camelcamelcamel.com.
Old 11-29-16, 12:10 AM
WolfRyder

Bikes: Not that many, just getting started.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah Merino Wool Base layers all the way for me. The fabric can't be beat IMO, It feels nice right next to skin, is dry wicking, has excellent air permeability. You got to hand wash the stuff, but not that big a deal, and I am AMAZED how long I can wear this stuff without it smelling that bad. Hard to go back to synthetic after wearing the Natural fabric MW. I have all different weights, styles, pull overs, no collar long tees, 1/2/,1/4, full zips. I don't need a real heavy weight one where I am and I like to layer my clothing anyway.( I have couple that are heavier that are full zip stand alone jackets pretty much) Like the light weight MW long johns also. The styling and color combos are smart too.(It works fine for cycling, but you can wear it anywhere) Look for last years styles also for deals.

Last edited by WolfRyder; 11-29-16 at 12:45 AM.
Old 11-29-16, 07:39 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

This thread isn't about base layers.

Y'all can discuss base layers if you want but that wasn't what my question was about.

-Tim-
Old 11-29-16, 07:52 AM
WhyFi

Merino makes a good base or mid-layer, so I don't see why it's not applicable.
Old 11-29-16, 08:11 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
+1

I wouldn't over think it like @nycphotography said. Any long sleeve jersey or long sleeve marino wool shirt could do the job. The Icebreaker one looks great, but waaaaay to pricey for me. I almost fell off my chair looking at the price. I've always wanted to try a long sleeve 100% silk tee shirt. That's what a cop told me he uses to layer with on cold days. Just can't find an online source for one yet. Personally, I use either an old long sleeve jersey or a loose white baselayer on top of a Craft long sleeve baselayer.

Edit: I like and have a Campmor near me. They have this wool shirt with a collar for $45 https://www.campmor.com/c/terramar-t...e-1-2-zip-mens

Last edited by ptempel; 11-29-16 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-29-16, 10:00 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by WolfRyder
Yeah Merino Wool Base layers all the way for me. The fabric can't be beat IMO, It feels nice right next to skin, is dry wicking, has excellent air permeability. You got to hand wash the stuff, but not that big a deal ...
The only time I've ever hand washed any of my merino stuff was in the middle of a week-long backpacking trip across the North Cascades. There was no washing machine, but there was a river near my camp. Otherwise, cold water and gentle cycle, Eucalan detergent, and I get years out of them. Don't put them in the dryer though.
Old 11-29-16, 11:10 AM
WolfRyder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread isn't about base layers.

Y'all can discuss base layers if you want but that wasn't what my question was about.

-Tim-
Alright how about waterproof shells? I am real happy with this one by Outdoor Research.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/m...ii-jacket.html
Old 11-29-16, 12:00 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I bought a mid-weight under layer with thumb holes in the sleeves from LL Bean. I came equipped with long arms so that most of the long sleeve offerings left an opening around the wrist region. Someone here on BF suggested the thumb-hole long sleeve, and I tried one in a tall size.

Although it's not a cycling-specific item, it worked really well. With some long-finger gloves, a long sleeve jersey and a wind jacket, the thumb-hole under layer provided a good "air seal" in the wrist region.

This might be worth a look for you.
Old 11-29-16, 05:33 PM
Cyril 

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5034-3...-Winter-Jersey

I got one of these in blue for Christmas last year.
I use it as a mid layer in the dead of winter and with a base layer or stand alone
during the shoulder seasons.
Works well.

fits nicely under my Gore windstopper softshell.
Old 11-29-16, 09:21 PM
WolfRyder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Minus 33 is comparable to SmartWool and Icebreaker but at lower price point. Maybe SmartWool and Ice breaker are tied at top Ibex is good, Minus 33 is third maybe but still nice. Farther drop in quality is with Terramar stuff.

Price looks pretty good to me as is, and you might even be able to find a discount code.

Minus33 Merino Wool Mid Weight 1/4 Length Zip for Men
Old 11-29-16, 10:06 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Lol, this is bike forums, changing the subject completely is how any good reply is done.

I was confused by this thread, I'd never really heard the term mid-layer. What? It goes like this: base layer, jersey, and jacket or wind vest if needed. Why would you get something special (a 'mid layer') when you presumably already have several jerseys? Don't we all already have several cycling jerseys?

Speaking of mid-layers, have I told you how much I love that Rapha rain jacket I got? I know it's not a mid-layer or a base-layer. But I like the jacket, so I think that's what we should all talk about.
Old 11-29-16, 11:09 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
I'm looking for a warm long sleeve upper body mid-layer for road riding. Requirements are insulation, breathable and wicking.
My thermal jerseys are mostly XS race-fit Voler, a pair of Louis Garneau pro-fits in XXS and XS, and one XS aero Verge Sport. Below 40-45 degrees or too early in the morning I use them as a mid-layer or beneath a thermal jacket. Much beyond that I wear a wind jacket on top until it gets to about 55 at which point I stow it in a pocket and don't roast into the low 60s because they're insulating, not wind-blocking. I never start riding with a thermal jersey as an only layer - without wind protection the insulation does little good and a regular summer jersey plus wind shell works better.

I recommend the Volers due to consistent fit and being able to buy them, but am not thrilled about pocket size. Club fit is right out for me, and most companies don't make small enough jerseys or don't sell them to the general public.

I'm a typical climber type - 33" chest, 26-27" waist, 5'9.5", about 140 pounds with winter fat.

The Volers are snug enough they don't flap, but loose enough the pockets are stuffable when you buy according to the size charts. Sizes go down to XS (33-35" chest, 26-29" waist) produced-on-demand or custom; small off-the-shelf. The pockets are smaller than I'd like.

Louis Garneau thermal jersey fabric is heavier than Voler's. Their pockets are ample. Unfortunately they're sized inconsistently. My custom program XXS pro-fit is closer to racer fit (where pro fit is snugger than some brands race fit) or XXXS pro-fit which means the things you want to fill your pockets with as the temperature increases (shell, leg warmers, gloves...) become problematic. My XS off-the-shelf Quebecor jersey is bigger than one of their same-fit XS short sleeve jerseys (acceptable albeit a bit loose) so I tend to reserve it for longer rides lasting into warmer hours over a short sleeve jersey with full pockets and under a jacket. Off-the rack you can't get smaller than XS (35-37" chest, 29-31" waist) although they offer XXS through their custom program (33-35", 27-29" waist) and supposedly have no minimum order.

The Verge Sport Strike Zima is made from fabric that's lighter and stretchier than the other two, fits great, has a functional waist gripper, and has good sized pockets. XS is the smallest they offer (32-34" chest, 28-29.5" waist but it works well with less). Their non-custom offerings are spotty and it's vanished from their web site.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 12-01-16 at 03:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.