Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

An underrated aspect of cycling as a sport is ...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

An underrated aspect of cycling as a sport is ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-19, 03:11 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Again.
There seems to be an awful lot of highly skilled group riders in this thread.
Exactly how many of you chosen few have spent money and hired a coach?
Or did almost every one of you learn
it on your own?
I don't need a coach to tech me how to commute , how to ride my mountain bike on singletrack or how to go on a recreational ride. Experience is the best teacher and I learned a lot in the past 12 years just by going out and riding...I don't do any "roadie group rides" because I've witnessed some horrible riding practises done by club riders and I don't want to associate myself with those groups of people.
Old 09-13-19, 03:17 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by 86az135i
I just passed my drivers test. I can probably keep up with with professional formula 1 drivers.
Cycling is a lot more than just racing. I an under no obligation to race anybody every time I ride my bike and not every bike ride has be some competitive imaginary race.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-13-19, 05:19 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
The OP was not talking about pro level cycling or even amateur racing. I believe he is simply sharing his views regarding the kind of cycling most of us do, that is, recreational cycling. His thoughts appear to me to be innocuous and fairly accurate. I don't think anyone will deny that riding as a pro or as a serious amateur racer requires skill and considerable fitness. And I think that recreational riders have the necessary skills to pursue their interest in cycling in a safe and competent manner, skills that they probably acquired simply by riding. So, I retract any language that I might have used in previous posts that might be considered dismissive of other people's views. Cycling is fun, and most of us can do it as proficiently as we need to.
Old 09-13-19, 05:29 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
Cycling is fun, and most of us can do it as proficiently as we need to.
And I disagree. I’ve seen too many examples where a very bad outcome was averted not by one rider’s skill, but rather the expertise of those around him. In most cases, the person never realized the damage they could have done. So that person rides happily along thinking they’re doing just fine in the group oblivious to the danger they are to themself and others.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 09-13-19, 05:50 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 117 Posts
@asgelle - in case you missed my earlier post:

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Originally Posted by asgelle
Except no (and we're talking faster, not more experienced*). Every time he opens a gap and then has to close it uses energy. It means he'll be dropped that much sooner than if he were able to follow wheels without opening gaps.

I could play tennis with Rapha Nadal if he lowered his game to my level.
So in your scenario where he's riding with faster riders and closing gaps before getting dropped...is he not participating with faster, more experienced riders despite his lack of skill? The very supposition this thread is about?

Is there a minimum threshold before one gets to claim attendance? Perhaps a faster rider circles around after he gets dropped and tells him "you can't claim this ride"?
Old 09-13-19, 05:52 PM
asgelle

@asgelle - in case you missed my earlier post:
I saw it. I didn’t feel it needed a response. Res ipsa loquitur.
Old 09-13-19, 06:08 PM
Spoonrobot 

Although I've been working at it, I also tend to not respond to an argument I'm losing or lost. So I understand, good luck out there.
Old 09-13-19, 06:12 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I know I said it before but to re iterate in the midst of all this group ride skills talk: you can be an avid cyclist and not ride in groups. I live in an area with two very popular road circuits and see many serious cyclists going solo or in pairs. It's far more prevalent than larger pace lines. In fact, a few weeks ago, guy in his 70's kept time with me for a while (or was it I with him) as we chatted - turned out he was quite active in the regional randoneering club and had done PBP - no small feat. All that was needed to ride with him for as long as I wanted (or was able) was endurance.
Old 09-14-19, 12:52 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
And I disagree. I’ve seen too many examples where a very bad outcome was averted not by one rider’s skill, but rather the expertise of those around him. In most cases, the person never realized the damage they could have done. So that person rides happily along thinking they’re doing just fine in the group oblivious to the danger they are to themself and others.
That's why some groups won't allow a new person to ride with them until that person has been checked out by a member of the group on an easy ride with just one or a couple of other members.

Cheers
Old 09-14-19, 09:17 AM
Spinay70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by unmumpsimus
Skills such as:
  • Being able to wheelie/manual/loft your front wheel up/over ledges and or rocks, choreographed so that as soon as you reach the apex of the loft you shift your weight forward while applying the right amount of pedal torque to maintain traction and not spin out.
  • Being able to stall, track stand, and readjust your line when climbing/descending steep tech
  • Being able to ride over surfaces with extremely variable friction characteristics, at both slow and high speeds
  • Being able to rip, row, and pump terrain to maintain your speed and line
  • Being able to ride down drops that are difficult to walk down
  • Being able to ride up very steep slopes and maintain balance so that you don't wheelie nor spin out the rear tire (fore/aft balance)
  • Being able to threshold brake over surfaces with extremely variable friction characteristics, at both low and high speeds

I'm sure I missed a few but that should give you some concepts to chew on.
1000s of hours of videos on Youtube of people, from kids to elderly adults doing all of this with ease. Like the OP said, takes just a little effort to get up to speed.

Spinay70
Old 09-14-19, 03:03 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Guess it depends on what you mean by “good at it”, but if you mean proficient enough to not keep screwing up and actually enjoy the sport with others, I tend to agree with the OP.

I know many people who do “B” road rides and even some “A” riders who don’t have very good handling skills. But they seem to pick ip what they need to know to ride in a group pretty easily. And as had been said, you can be an avid cyclist and not ride in groups.

Now, if we are talking about competitive riding... that is a different story. As is mountain biking.

Another difference is that cycling does not need to be competitive. Unless you are in a race, there are no losers. You can be the slowest rider in your group all the time, and never really feel like you suck at it

Last edited by Kapusta; 09-14-19 at 03:15 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-14-19, 05:25 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by unmumpsimus
Funny, but nope. Folks don't simply start riding off-road, let alone technical terrain, and are "soon riding with cyclists who've done it for years and are pretty avid about it."
The mountain bike groups that I rode with before had no problem with allowing newbies to come along and ride with them over some "extremely technical and challenging trails". If somebody didn't feel confident they just got of the bike and walked over some sections. We were never in the rush to get anywhere. we were out there to have fun and didn't care about any speed.
Old 09-14-19, 07:28 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The mountain bike groups that I rode with before had no problem with allowing newbies to come along and ride with them over some "extremely technical and challenging trails". If somebody didn't feel confident they just got of the bike and walked over some sections. We were never in the rush to get anywhere. we were out there to have fun and didn't care about any speed.
This is part of what I love about mtb culture. Most groups I’ve come accross are very encouraging to people less experienced. Waiting at the top of climbs and at the bottom of descents is just part of the deal, in my experience.

So while it does take longer to “get good” at mountain biking, you don’t have to be as good to feel welcome.

Last edited by Kapusta; 09-15-19 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-16-19, 11:39 AM
Rstyle

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
This is part of what I love about mtb culture. Most groups I’ve come accross are very encouraging to people less experienced. Waiting at the top of climbs and at the bottom of descents is just part of the deal, in my experience.

So while it does take longer to “get good” at mountain biking, you don’t have to be as good to feel welcome.
Wow! Amazed that CooganBluff thread caused such a discussion!!! He was making a simple statement that I
agree completely with at my 66 yrs of age. I would never be able to learn to play tennis , rugby, football or play basketball at my age and get to enjoy or be any good particularly with some early arthritis in one knee and not the best lower back.. But I started riding at age 60 and ride 50-75miles a week now and totally enjoy doing it by myself or with the company of good friends in my cycle group. There are riders in our club in their 70’s and early 80’s. He was indirectly making a very valuable statement for the aging population....if you are feeling and living the expected and unavoidable physical decline of aging...........you can take up cycling as a way to stay fit into your “later” years. Excellent advice.
Likes For Rstyle:
Old 09-16-19, 12:32 PM
KColeman32

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
An underrated aspect of cycling as a sport is ... that it can be enjoyed alone. I like that I can go for a ride by myself just as easily as with a group of friends.
Like golf. But if you took up golf at 50, while golf allows you to play with much better golfers (and compete with them pretty equally on an agreed to handicapping system), You'd still be horrible at 56. Especially if you weren't a ball sport athlete growing up. Hand/eye coordination deteriorates, and you can't really get that back, like getting stronger. Of course practice/riding time and many other variables would matter. But back to the point, playing golf alone on a beautiful course can be very enjoyable and rewarding.
Old 09-16-19, 01:32 PM
myisland

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
that cycling doesn't require an inordinate amount of skill development in order to be pretty good at it.

I played tennis much of my life. I'm in my 50s now. If I had started tennis in my 50s, it would be a long time before good tennis players would enjoy being on the court with me. But with cycling, if you're healthy and willing to put in the time, you can soon be riding with cyclists who've done it for years and are pretty avid about it. And I'm not talking about being super competitive. I just mean being good enough so that you can enter a wide range of group rides.

Tennis, golf and cycling are sports of a lifetime, but cycling is much friendlier to late beginners.

That's all. Just another reason to like cycling.
Next ... tennis vs stationary bikes. Who else is tired of seeing those Peloton advertisements?
Likes For myisland:
Old 09-16-19, 05:11 PM
marcoguzm

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
There's riding a bicycle and then there's cycling.
Yep...anyone can ride a bicycle on an empty street... but riding with cars, potholes, glass debris, street lights, a group ride, a flat tire, a derailleur not working, etc. etc. require skills, there is no doubt. Perhaps we can learn those skills with out a trainer, unlike in tennis or golf, but we still need many skills...and if you go into competition...then things get more complicated.
Old 09-16-19, 05:53 PM
joel1952

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Trolling

Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
that cycling doesn't require an inordinate amount of skill development in order to be pretty good at it.

I played tennis much of my life. I'm in my 50s now. If I had started tennis in my 50s, it would be a long time before good tennis players would enjoy being on the court with me. But with cycling, if you're healthy and willing to put in the time, you can soon be riding with cyclists who've done it for years and are pretty avid about it. And I'm not talking about being super competitive. I just mean being good enough so that you can enter a wide range of group rides.

Tennis, golf and cycling are sports of a lifetime, but cycling is much friendlier to late beginners.

That's all. Just another reason to like cycling.
Silly, trolling, click-bait question, on multiple levels.
Old 09-16-19, 06:46 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by joel1952
Silly, trolling, click-bait question, on multiple levels.
Uh, I don't think the OP asked a question but I will: how is complementing cycling "trolling"?
Old 09-16-19, 06:56 PM
asgelle

Originally Posted by OBoile
Uh, I don't think the OP asked a question but I will: how is complementing cycling "trolling"?
I really like XXX’s posts. They’re so simple-minded and obvious that even our youngest readers can understand them.
Old 09-16-19, 07:13 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
'If I had started tennis in my 50s, it would be a long time before good tennis players would enjoy being on the court with me.'

I might not enjoy riding with you depending on your skills, lol. The operative word here in your semi-quote is 'good'! Some people learn faster than others. Some don't learn much at all no matter how hard they try. Some riders are 'good' in their circle of bike riding friends but terrible when riding with others who have higher a skill set. It's a relative thing. When I was younger and a lot faster we would go on training rides and sometimes we'd get silly, pulling each others jerseys, flicking their shift levers, hooking, leaning, head butting, striking, slinging and other 'tactical' play. You weren't supposed to do these things in races but sometimes you'd get away with it... until the end of a race! I was guilty of some of these things but not all!
Old 09-16-19, 07:38 PM
Spoonrobot 

Back on-topic: I did a 60 mile mountain bike event over the weekend. Ended up riding a significant amount of the time with a newer rider who'd be riding only since the late spring. He was trouncing me on the single-track but I'd catch him on the descents and we ended up riding most of the climbs together and chatting. It was interesting hearing his background, he started riding MTB after seeing the NICA team on the local singletrack and had learned most of his skills riding with others. I've been seriously mountain biking since 2015 and have learned most of my skills from youtube and watching other riders - about equally. I think it was nice for the both of us, with vastly different levels of experience and skills to be able to ride together and talk, I took away some pointers and I think he did too. Made me think of this thread.

Last edited by Spoonrobot; 09-17-19 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-18-19, 09:25 AM
mr335

Bikes: GIANT DEFI ADV GIANT SCR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Get real

You must just ride the river trail ? With the ladies the 80’s and the slows
Old 09-18-19, 06:49 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
What would be more frustrating for you, a group ride with 3 cyclists like you...?
i would hate to ride with myselfs, we would probably crash!
Likes For spelger:
Old 09-19-19, 03:35 AM
marcoguzm

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some people...

Back on-topic: I did a 60 mile mountain bike event over the weekend. Ended up riding a significant amount of the time with a newer rider who'd be riding only since the late spring. He was trouncing me on the single-track but I'd catch him on the descents and we ended up riding most of the climbs together and chatting. It was interesting hearing his background, he started riding MTB after seeing the NICA team on the local singletrack and had learned most of his skills riding with others. I've been seriously mountain biking since 2015 and have learned most of my skills from youtube and watching other riders - about equally. I think it was nice for the both of us, with vastly different levels of experience and skills to be able to ride together and talk, I took away some pointers and I think he did too. Made me think of this thread.
For some people it's so natural to do some activities on a bike like wheelies, jumping on lugs, and many others. For some of us, it is harder to acquire those skills if we ever get them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.