Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Saying yes sir and yes ma’am

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Saying yes sir and yes ma’am

Old 10-22-19, 10:33 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Stopped for gas and some coffee and said yes ma’am to the clerk. She looked at me like she seen a ghost! I thought I offended her and felt bad.
You did offend her. In California, land of youth obsession, "ma'am" is the equivalent of "old woman".

I remember the first time a waiter called my wife "ma'am". It took her weeks to get over the insult.
Old 10-22-19, 10:38 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse View Post
You did offend her. In California, land of youth obsession, "ma'am" is the equivalent of "old woman".

I remember the first time a waiter called my wife "ma'am". It took her weeks to get over the insult.
She was old. She wrote down my license plate number then CHIPS pulled me over and officer Panchorelly he looked like Eric Estrada gave me a ticket for saying yes ma’am
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 10-22-19, 11:04 AM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 124 Posts
I remember way back in my mid 20's thinking that by the time you got called maam or sir you were considered old. That hasn't changed much in the 35 years since then, but I have gotten used to it
Old 10-22-19, 12:02 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Dude.
Likes For skijor:
Old 10-22-19, 12:43 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 50 Posts
Both my children learned the concept of saying 'yes sir' and 'yes mam', when they took karate.
I guess it was part of the whole mental discipline of the training.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-22-19, 12:57 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 383 Posts
In Idaho I had to get use to the phrase you bet ya... and in Pennsylvania for sure... or in Montana that L work.... or
the universal stoner duuuuuuuuuuude huhuhuhuhuhu… I need to go for a bike ride..
Old 10-22-19, 01:44 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 368 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by skijor View Post
Some of the ma'am and sir usage comes from military (active, retired, vets) too...especially marines. It is engrained in boot camp..
That's usually my thought when I hear a 'yes sir' that seems oddly out of place.

It wasn't part of my upbringing though, so I could never say it authentically/sincerely -- except to cops.
Old 10-22-19, 02:54 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
I went to La Jolla once and went too a pastry shop and the girl just looked at me when I talked like I was an alien. She was pretty though.
Old 10-22-19, 03:32 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3403 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
Not being from USA, "yes sir" and "yes ma'am" sound really strange to me. I don't think of myself as a "ma'am" and don't particularly like being addressed that way. It makes me feel old.

Thankfully, where I've lived, that's just not done. We're polite without it ... and without making a person feel old.

Its not designed to make you feel old, its designed to make you feel special. Its also a sign of respect. Imagine being a middle or elementary school teacher and having your students look at you as a peer rather than someone of authority. That designation helps them remember that.

In any event, I understand you're perspective having heard this from other women but never once from men regardless of age. Having worked many years in the service industry it was a requirement, unless directed by the patron to address them otherwise. That only occurred a few times.

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle View Post
I view the use of "yes sir" etc to be demeaning /to the person who uses it/; and if you demand or require it's use, you're trying to assert your perception of authority or class hierarchy onto others.

My worldview incorporates and applies equality to everyone, and so the deferential use of "sir" doesn't apply to anyone. It's not disrespectful. It's more respectful to everyone, including yourself.

Culturally and historically, it is an interesting topic, the use and meaning of language over time.
How should a 10 year old address someone 45 years old? Do you see them as equals?
Old 10-22-19, 03:34 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 323 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
That's usually my thought when I hear a 'yes sir' that seems oddly out of place.

It wasn't part of my upbringing though, so I could never say it authentically/sincerely -- except to cops.
The drunker, the more sincere.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-22-19, 03:47 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube, M Alloy Pro, Sprint 76; Amp Research B4; Colnago Crystal; Klein Pulse; Litespeed Catalyst, Fondriest Squadra Corse

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
How should a 10 year old address someone 45 years old? Do you see them as equals?
All else (other than age) being equal... yes, they are equals. They have the same natural rights. Why is that such a difficult concept for so many to grasp?

Two things: first, achieving the age of 45 years (and certainly much more) is no longer something that is special or noteworthy or in any way deserving respect in and of itself (thanks to modern medicine, clean water, indoor plumbing, etc); second, children are not less of a person or less worthy of respect, than anyone else.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 10-22-19, 03:56 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
All else (other than age) being equal... yes, they are equals. They have the same natural rights. Why is that such a difficult concept for so many to grasp?

Two things: first, achieving the age of 45 years (and certainly much more) is no longer something that is special or noteworthy or in any way deserving respect in and of itself (thanks to modern medicine, clean water, indoor plumbing, etc); second, children are not less of a person or less worthy of respect, than anyone else.
You are kidding correct? Or else trolling.There is better medicine and housing now but you still have to make good decisions on what you do to your body.
Old 10-22-19, 04:06 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 72 Posts

You're a very special guy. My apologies if that seems like I'm offering any special attention or insulting anyone else for not being as special. I guess we're all special, but then that would mean none of us were special, right?

Just like Lake Woebegone where all the children are above average.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-22-19, 04:14 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3403 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 179 Posts

Do you look to a 10 year old for advice? For knowledge? For wisdom? For experience? For decision making? Would you trust a 10 year old doctor with your heath, to manage your business or to handle your finances?

I'm not talking about equal human beings (I guess I shouldn't take anything for granted around here). Rather, in judgement, decision making and responsibility.

A minor can make mistakes and have it overlooked because he's not old enough to know any better. An adult, on the other hand, is held responsible for the decisions and mistakes they make. I hope the difference between the two I'm referring to is clear now?

Last edited by KraneXL; 10-22-19 at 04:39 PM. Reason: word correct
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 10-22-19, 04:20 PM
Newspaper_Nick

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 44 Posts
I seriously don't understand the complaint "these words make me feel old". Well, you are old. What are you gonna do about it? What is wrong about being old? We all gonna get old. It is no crime. On the contrary, it should be celebrated. What a lame excuse that is. When i refer to my elders as "sir" or m'am, i do that with a great deal of respect to them. I do not think or feel "oh those old farts". And i hope to be referred with the same respect someday. What is wrong about being old, seriously? Being old means being experienced in life. And experience is something that no youngster out there can obtain, even with all the money in the world. Young people should respect that experience and try to learn something from it. It is really very important. The lack of connection between old and young people is wreaking havoc in many "modern" societies all over the world. We see 50 year old people acting like 15 year olds. That is why i do not really subscribe to liberal policies. They even try to change the centuries old pronouns. How crazy is that.
Likes For Newspaper_Nick:
Old 10-22-19, 05:51 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 10485 Post(s)
Liked 1,680 Times in 1,005 Posts
Do you look to a 10 year old for advice? For knowledge? For wisdom? For experience? For decision making? Would you trust a 10 year old doctor with your heath, to manage your business or to handle your finances?

I'm not talking about equal human beings (I guess I shouldn't take anything for granted around here). Rather, in judgement, decision making and responsibility.

A minor can make mistakes and have it overlooked because he's not old enough to know any better. An adult, on the other hand, is held responsible for the decisions and mistakes they make. I hope the difference between the two I'm referring to is clear now?
If it's about technology, I bet most people over 50 do.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 10-22-19, 06:30 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 323 Posts
Not being from USA, "yes sir" and "yes ma'am" sound really strange to me. I don't think of myself as a "ma'am" and don't particularly like being addressed that way. It makes me feel old.

Thankfully, where I've lived, that's just not done. We're polite without it ... and without making a person feel old.
I view the use of "yes sir" etc to be demeaning /to the person who uses it/; and if you demand or require it's use, you're trying to assert your perception of authority or class hierarchy onto others.

My worldview incorporates and applies equality to everyone, and so the deferential use of "sir" doesn't apply to anyone. It's not disrespectful. It's more respectful to everyone, including yourself.

Culturally and historically, it is an interesting topic, the use and meaning of language over time.
And yet, I find young waitresses and clerks respond rather well to being nicely addressed.

No doubt if you say it with a smarmy attitude, that aspect is probably quickly noticed.
Old 10-23-19, 01:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 3092 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 176 Posts
Its not designed to make you feel old, its designed to make you feel special. Its also a sign of respect. Imagine being a middle or elementary school teacher and having your students look at you as a peer rather than someone of authority. That designation helps them remember that.

In any event, I understand you're perspective having heard this from other women but never once from men regardless of age. Having worked many years in the service industry it was a requirement, unless directed by the patron to address them otherwise. That only occurred a few times.

Speaking as a teacher ... yes, I acquired my Bachelor of Education in 2009 and worked in schools in both Canada and Australia ...

Students referred to me as Ms. LastName ... but definitely NOT ma'am.
Old 10-23-19, 02:00 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by genec View Post
And yet, I find young waitresses and clerks respond rather well to being nicely addressed.

No doubt if you say it with a smarmy attitude, that aspect is probably quickly noticed.
Yes, they do ... but addressing young waitresses and clerks as "ma'am" isn't nice.

Saying "please" and "thank you" is nice.
Likes For Machka:
Old 10-23-19, 04:52 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 323 Posts
Yes, they do ... but addressing young waitresses and clerks as "ma'am" isn't nice.

"Would you like coffee..."

An enthusiastic... "Yes ma'am."

Followed by a smile and "Thank you."

You're saying that is wrong?
Likes For genec:
Old 10-23-19, 05:46 AM
Newspaper_Nick

Can you please tell us how you address waiters or waitresses that you don't know? We all say thank you and please, that is not how you address one another. What word do you use to call the attention of a waiter/waitress?
Old 10-23-19, 05:48 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube, M Alloy Pro, Sprint 76; Amp Research B4; Colnago Crystal; Klein Pulse; Litespeed Catalyst, Fondriest Squadra Corse

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaper_Nick View Post
Can you please tell us how you address waiters or waitresses that you don't know? We all say thank you and please, that is not how you address one another. What word do you use to call the attention of a waiter/waitress?
"Hi" or "Hello". Works every time.
Old 10-23-19, 06:05 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by genec View Post
"Would you like coffee..."

An enthusiastic... "Yes ma'am."

Followed by a smile and "Thank you."

You're saying that is wrong?
Well, it's certainly NOT how I would address a person! Unless maybe I was kind of kidding around.

Originally Posted by Newspaper_Nick View Post

"Excuse me?" or "Pardon me?" followed by "Hi! Just wondering if we might be able to get some water for the table?" "Oh, the bottles and glasses are over there?" "Thank you very much".

Or in the coffee scenario above, I would say, "Yes, we'd like to order one ham and cheese toastie, one cheese and tomato toastie, and two cups of coffee. One will be a long black and the other a flat white with two sugars". The person would write it down and some time later it would arrive. "Thank you!"

Trying to think of an occasion when a waiter or waitress would ask me if I wanted coffee ... the first thing that springs to mind is at the end of a nice meal when we're ordering dessert ...

"Excuse me?" or "Pardon me?" followed by "Hi! We wondered if we might see the dessert menu?" ... a few minutes later ... "Yes, we'd like one sticky date pudding and one pavlova, thank you."

Waiter/Waitress: "Would you like coffee or tea with your dessert?"

Me: "No thank you" (chances are it's too late in the evening for it) or if I did want some then ... "Yes please, I will have a long black and my husband will have a flat white with two sugars"

Sometimes, if the waiter/waitress has a name tag we might refer to the person by name.

There's not a time when "ma'am" or "sir" would need to come into it.

Last edited by Machka; 10-23-19 at 06:09 AM.
Likes For Machka:
Old 10-23-19, 06:13 AM
Newspaper_Nick

"Hi" or "Hello". Works every time.
Ok, despite the fact that English is not my mother tongue, i know that these are words used for greetings and they are not how you address someone. You either address someone with his/her name, or if you don't know their name, you address them with another "noun" of your/their choice, depending on the degree of intimacy that you have. Words like "sweetie, kid, my man, honey, dude, etc" are some examples that i have heard. What we have been taught throughout our education was that "sir and madam" are the right nouns to use for addressing people (especially elders) that we don't know. And now i am reading in this thread that it is wrong. So i am asking, if it is wrong, what is the right way?
Likes For Newspaper_Nick:
Old 10-23-19, 06:25 AM
Newspaper_Nick

"Excuse me?" or "Pardon me?" followed by "Hi! Just wondering if we might be able to get some water for the table?" "Oh, the bottles and glasses are over there?" "Thank you very much".
There's not a time when "ma'am" or "sir" would need to come into it.
Again, with my limited English knowledge, "excuse me" or "pardon" are interjections.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interjection

Now, correct me if i am wrong but, an interjection is not a word that can replace the person's name. Interjections are not nouns. An interjection can be used to call the attention of a person, yes, shouting "excuse me" or "hey" would probably get me a waiter. But, still, these are not answering my question. You still haven't given me a noun that can replace the name of the person that i am interacting with. You don't like sir or madam, i get that, but what other nouns can i use?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.