Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

I failed this year. Ideas to succeed next?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 11-11-19, 07:42 AM
TinyBear

Bikes: Giant Boulder SE, Giant Seek1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts

This past summer was to be my return to cycling after a forced time away. But sadly I failed. I could make excuses that I was busy with my young daughter and that the pain was too intense from injuries that still plague me (left leg was nearly severed in a motorcycle accident in 2012 which is incidentally the last time I took cycling seriously). But the fact of the matter is simply I got Lazy and found reasons not to get out and keep trying.

I will say the few rides I did last year were HARD and they were painful but I think part was trying too much. Hills and wind damn near kill any momentum I have. More than I ever remember.

But as my daughter is getting older I hope to teach her to ride and be able to enjoy that with her. I NEED to succeed and get back at it. Weight wise I’m back down to and holding steady at 260lbs which is essentially where I left off pre accident.

At home on tbe the stationary bike I was doing well and doing 30mins a day 5 days a week of easier lower resistance riding. But out on the streets and trails it’s a completely different experience.

Im planning to sell my one trail motorcycle as a push to get back into the woods on pedal power. And am contemplating a E Mountain bike to easy the effort needed but also am seeing some sticker shock with those bikes and feel like it’s a bit of a cheat.

Any advice for a struggling lazy big dude to get back at it. Would an e bike really negating the fitness benefits of riding. Or is there some sort of off season training better than my stationary bike to consider to help out with next season.
Old 11-11-19, 01:53 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
I like my smart trainer and zwift for those days I can't ride outside or have purpose to train that can't be easy to do outside. Generally the trainer IS harder than riding outdoor but it's a matter of the quality you put into it. But those easy power days are WAY easier to control than outside world.

Pain adaption is HARD, not just physically but it's mental toll as well. But keep at it and one day the mind will be stronger and the pain will lessen as you get stronger and fitter. I broke 10 bones plus internal damage 5yrs ago going thru a windshield on my bike, pretty much everything supporting my left shoulder was broken. The first hurdle is mental and getting back on it, pain is temporary but conquering it will last a life time. I used to have to take 1/2 norco pill just to keep riding. It sucked and I hated doing it. my HR would drop 10-15 beats and speed was that much slower, lucky to have good friend to keep waiting for me at the hill tops
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 11-11-19, 02:08 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
Give yourself credit for the successes you have had. Build on them. Find things to be grateful for. I remember when I realized I needed more exercise and to build strength. I asked myself, "But where do I start?" And then the answer came to me: "Start where you are."

I had an injury that gave me frozen shoulder. I had limited range of motion and lots of pain. I went to physical therapy to treat it. It worked! The exercises were mild and not challenging, but the magic was through repetition. I am now stronger and more limber than before my injury.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 11-11-19, 03:25 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
Avoid the ebike if you want to improve your fitness. Anyway, you don't actually have to be very fit to have a pleasant ride with a small child. Cycling doesn't suit everyone!
Old 11-11-19, 06:19 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,710 Times in 1,483 Posts
@noglider has it right credit and build

small steps, don't worry about off road, hills and hard stuff. that was where you were before and where you are working too.... go out and ride on the street or paved trail.... keep it short, with low gearing so is it is easy to pedal, don't worry about speed or distance.

go out small distance and come back (or around the block one), next day go a little farther.....keep it up so there is no re-injury, just enjoy the short ride and build up

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 11-11-19, 07:00 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Motivation can be hard to recover after such a time off. I seriously immersed myself into the track sprint side of cycling after cycling seriously for almost 10 years. It consumed most of my time. Life took a turn (fortunately not due to physical injusry like yourself) but it meant that a lot of my hard work got thrown out the window. I tried to get back to it, but I had lost so much that it was extremely hard to get going again. Then my daughter was growing and became active and successful at sports and I just didn't have the time to devote to it like I had now that I was chasing after her with training and competing. It's been going on for over 2 years now, but I've finally got some mojo back. I've actually taken up the sport of competitive woodchopping and that has given me some drive to get myself fit again and I am once again enjoying getting out and spending what time I can on the bike.

You got back on the bike, that is a good start. Don't try and go out and think you'll be able to ride like you used to. That factor has been a hard one for me to deal with after having been so fit and strong on the bike for so long. Find your reason to get fit and/or get on the bike and run with it. You will always find excuses unless you are properly committed to the reason
Old 11-11-19, 07:01 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 972 Posts
Already great advice here, but I'll add: try to make it fun and not so much of a chore. I'd set distance goals without time limits - stop and smell the roses in the middle of a ride if you feel like it.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 11-11-19, 07:02 PM
TinyBear

So I suppose deep down I know what I need to do. I just don’t want to admit needing to start all over again.

Years ago When I started riding at 350lbs a ride around the block felt huge. And I built up from that. It’s a hard pill to swallow to know I need start right back from square one.

One things for sure next spring both my bikes are going in for a good servicing as that’s not really been done since 2012 either.

Also one more slightly different question due to the accident and resulting 5 surgeries. My left leg is a full 1” shorter than my right leg (height difference is knee down) Normal day to day stuff I can adapt for this but wonder if for cycling this could cause issues. I keep meaning to go to a orthotics doc to get special insoles but never got round to it as I walk almost without a limp most days.
Old 11-12-19, 01:57 AM
AmFaeEmbra
NewKidInTown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
You could put one inch spacer blocks on the left pedal.
Not sure how that would work if you have clips, but someone who knows will be along shortly. Or ask when you get the bikes serviced.
Old 11-12-19, 06:09 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by TinyBear
Any advice for a struggling lazy big dude to get back at it. Would an e bike really negating the fitness benefits of riding. Or is there some sort of off season training better than my stationary bike to consider to help out with next season.

I love my bikes. I don't always love riding them.

After 10 years off the bike in any serious manner, it was the bike I turned to 9 years ago after left knee replacement. Oh, I was serious in intent, but that didn't make me serious on the bike. Nine months later, I broke my back, and other damage in a high speed downhill crash on my bicycle. Took me 3 years to get back on a bike.

Now, I've had injuries and surgeries that kept me off the bike, and weight gains since then, that had me off the bike. But after choosing to get myself back on track, and a cardiac scare I chose weight loss surgery, which has me at a place I'm back in control of me again. And despite years of well meaning, this year I've been out and riding. Yes. I could have ridden more...

My points are. You only are a failure when you don't get back and do it again. You get to build on this past year. I'm stronger than I was 8 years ago.

Me, this next year I want to do more group rides. More distance, more often. Maybe challenge for known local challenge sprints. But first. Slog through somecwinter training on the indoor trainer. 1 more trip to the gym each week than I have been. Just keep moving...
Old 11-12-19, 07:40 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
You're not at square one! You're probably in better condition than then, and even if you are, you have experience which will help. You can do this!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 11-12-19, 08:09 AM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12161 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,088 Posts
Get the E-bike.

I did, and I've been riding again. The goal is to get back on my old bike. But, in the meantime, the E-bike is great exercise, and riding has improved my fitness loads.
Old 11-12-19, 10:46 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
What works for me is riding with other people. I joined a couple clubs to meet other riders, but also will arrange ad hoc rides with others. If I’ve told someone I will be there, then I go, when it might otherwise be too easy to just stay home.
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 11-12-19, 11:34 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
I like my smart trainer and zwift for those days I can't ride outside or have purpose to train that can't be easy to do outside. Generally the trainer IS harder than riding outdoor but it's a matter of the quality you put into it. But those easy power days are WAY easier to control than outside world.

Pain adaption is HARD, not just physically but it's mental toll as well. But keep at it and one day the mind will be stronger and the pain will lessen as you get stronger and fitter. I broke 10 bones plus internal damage 5yrs ago going thru a windshield on my bike, pretty much everything supporting my left shoulder was broken. The first hurdle is mental and getting back on it, pain is temporary but conquering it will last a life time. I used to have to take 1/2 norco pill just to keep riding. It sucked and I hated doing it. my HR would drop 10-15 beats and speed was that much slower, lucky to have good friend to keep waiting for me at the hill tops
@jsigone is bang on. It's hard -- but the reward is worth it. I broke over 20 bones (luckily, mostly in my face) when I was hit in 2017. It hurt to start with, now with the acetabular column fracture healed NOT cycling makes me hurt.

Set small goals. Give yourself rewards. Give yourself credit.
Old 11-12-19, 12:16 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
2019 isn't over yet. Don't wait till 1/1/2020 to implement changes. Use the remaining months for gradual improvements and adjustments. E.g. less sugar, soda, using stairs instead elevator etc.

Don't get into the new years resolution trap and live badly till that magic date. The best time to improve is always now.
Old 11-12-19, 12:26 PM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Fought with weight for years. Gastroenterologist finally put me on the Atkins diet and it did wonders for dropping weight. Riding is now a lot easier.
Don't know if your insurance will cover it, but if you can get into physical therapist with someone who understands cycling, your age/weight, and your goals they can work your leg and body to get it back into condition. If you like your physical therapist, they are doing something wrong! If you can go to PT, try and check with your local college Athletic Training department and see who they use. A PT who is used to working with athletes is much better than someone who just works on the general population. My PT rides MTB and is brutal on me when I need to go in.

If you don't, subscribe to something like Road Bike Action magazine. For me, looking at all the riding gets me excited to go out. I also try and ride with a group. They push me and keep an eye on me. More people = more fun!

You have the right mindset, now just move forward with it and keep going. I won't do an E-bike because I want the exercise, but I also don't do MTB, so you may need that extra if you go off road. Try the road for awhile until you are healthy, then go to the e-MTB.
Old 11-12-19, 05:14 PM
TinyBear

I have not given up by any means on being healthy. If anything I have improved my diet further since becoming diabetic (managed by diet and pills no needles).

I’m also not completely dormant as I’m a truck mechanic that means lots of lifting climbing and walking. I also still try to regularly use the exercise bike. I just meant waiting for next year as I’m riding the bike on road and trails again as the snow is here now and I don’t feel like wiping out just yet lol.
Old 11-12-19, 11:34 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Not true

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Avoid the ebike if you want to improve your fitness. Anyway, you don't actually have to be very fit to have a pleasant ride with a small child. Cycling doesn't suit everyone!
ebike might just be what he needs. You can get a good workout with one, the motor is just there to help you when you need it. My wife did a 33 mile ride with 3,400’ of climbing for her first ride this year. She was beat after the ride. Others in the club could not believe hoe hard she worked with the ebike. Bottom line is you get a workout with an ebike.
Old 11-12-19, 11:36 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
what works for me is riding with other people. I joined a couple clubs to meet other riders, but also will arrange ad hoc rides with others. If i’ve told someone i will be there, then i go, when it might otherwise be too easy to just stay home.
+1
Old 11-13-19, 04:30 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
One word: Prioritize.

You're always going to have other duties and obligation, but is OK take some me time and dedicate it solely to those things that you want to accomplish. If it makes you feel any better, consider you're doing it for your daughter -- and family -- so your can be around and healthy to support them for a long time.
Old 11-13-19, 08:18 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
One word: Prioritize.

You're always going to have other duties and obligation, but is OK take some me time and dedicate it solely to those things that you want to accomplish. If it makes you feel any better, consider you're doing it for your daughter -- and family -- so your can be around and healthy to support them for a long time.
THIS!!! In addition to a full time job, I'm also a full time caregiver. My wife has numerous health issues, and I kind of left myself out the last few years. It is hard to get past that feeling of selfishness, but you can't take care of others if you don't take care of yourself.
Old 12-06-19, 01:21 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Don't beat yourself up. I go to a nutrition class for overweight people and the teacher emphasizes to us that if we didn't lose weight in the last week that is still a positive. Resetting goals and aspirations is hard to accept but realistic goals have to be sought out so that you can get the exercise you need. Your work is hard physical work in and of itself so your exercise should be designed to compliment the major workout you get every day at work. E bikes are used extensively in the Sacramento CA area for commuting. Maybe you could rethink the e bike into a commuter instead of a recreational bike and get your exercise that way during the good weather. I commuted 34 miles round trip to my job for about 15 years. During the later years a light rail line was slowly extended toward my work and the bicycle riding got less and less by using the light rail for part of my commute. This was way cheaper than driving my car at the time. A final thought about raising children. I had to give up almost all my hobbies and concentrate on raising my children when the oldest hit 10 years old. This didn't stop until the last child left home and I was able to go back into my hobbies and recreational bicycle riding. So treasure the children years.
Old 12-06-19, 01:23 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
My above post was addressed to Tiny Bear. I shouldn't write this late at night. Tallbikeman
Old 12-07-19, 04:10 AM
TinyBear

Thanks. Work can be difficult at times but over the years I have managed ways to compensate for the weaker leg and other varying issues I have. There is also the likelihood I will move into management in the future making the job much less physically demanding (but increasing the walking). I managed a truck dealership a couple years ago and did well but hated the retail aspect of it and never enjoyed being a manager. I like fixing things. I like figuring stuff out. But at my current job if the opening for manager comes I think I will try for it. It’s a good job and though it’s not my preference it’s probly best for my and family.

Cummuting on a bicycle is out of tbe question sadly for me as works 36kms one way and I start at 6:00am. In nice weather I commute on my motorcycles.

Bicycling is purely recreation/exercise for me. After a bunch of questions here. I have decided to just try a bit harder this spring to push just a bit more. And if things don’t work out i am going to convert one of my bikes to an e bike and give that a try.
Old 12-07-19, 05:45 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Sorry, TinyBear but "try harder" doesn't mean much. If you're going to succeed where you failed before, you're going to need two things:

First, a goal -- figure out what you can do consistently and make it realistic. And second, a plan -- to achieve that goal

At least that way if you fail you'll know why and by how much. Without that goal, you have no idea where you're going. Its like driving around in your car without having a destination. How will you know when you get to where you're going?

If it makes you feel any better I fail in my fitness goals for 2019 too. My "resolution" this year was to get under 10% body fat. A place I had been close to but never below before.

When I lost my gut the first time, after years of inactivity. I did it completely through diet and with no exercise whatsoever.

Thing is, I still have times. All I'll need to do is not eat anything for the rest of the year. Yeah, right. I know. But the point is to never give up while there's still have the opportunity to try.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.