Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mafac vs Zeus brakes ?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mafac vs Zeus brakes ?

Old 11-21-19, 08:22 AM
brooklyn6640

Bikes: Tommasini, Caad 7 , Seven, Pinarello

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
For The Win
(i assume)

Thanks for the pic. Most excellent.
Personally, I would find a 'more vintage' frame for a pair of centerpull brakes and leave the Tommasini as pictured.

Ride On!
From another point of view, I met this morning a cyclist with Paul racer medium brake in black on the front wheel, nice and modern look and very expensive.

Last edited by brooklyn6640; 11-21-19 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-21-19, 03:34 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by brooklyn6640
Hi please explain to me:
Personally I think salmon pads ruin Campy SR/NR sidepulls. They lose the fine control, which is kind of the point of those brakes. FWIW,
As I said, they lose the fine control with aftermarket pads. By fine control I mean that there is a wide and linear range of stopping power depending on how hard you pull the levers. This is useful in a racing brake, because you will often be trying to stay 6" behind the wheel in front of you, while negotiating high speed technical descents and the like. People make jokes about it all the time, but campy brakes really are very good at controlling your speed precisely. If you're not a racer and/or you don't enjoy going silly fast on descents, this will not matter to you.

With salmon pads, they feel more like they are on or off. Stopping power is more: that is to say more braking for less hand effort. If you're a recreational rider this route may well be preferable. The combo does tend to squeak though. For this reason using modern holders with toe-in adjustability would be my recommendation if using salmon pads with campy NR/SR brakes.

FWIW, these days my favorite brakes are good old centerpulls. They're a great choice for general recreational riding. If appropriate for the bike (?) I'd pick Zeus 2000, just because I always thought they were super trick and super cool.
Old 11-21-19, 04:39 PM
brooklyn6640

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
As I said, they lose the fine control with aftermarket pads. By fine control I mean that there is a wide and linear range of stopping power depending on how hard you pull the levers. This is useful in a racing brake, because you will often be trying to stay 6" behind the wheel in front of you, while negotiating high speed technical descents and the like. People make jokes about it all the time, but campy brakes really are very good at controlling your speed precisely. If you're not a racer and/or you don't enjoy going silly fast on descents, this will not matter to you.

With salmon pads, they feel more like they are on or off. Stopping power is more: that is to say more braking for less hand effort. If you're a recreational rider this route may well be preferable. The combo does tend to squeak though. For this reason using modern holders with toe-in adjustability would be my recommendation if using salmon pads with campy NR/SR brakes.

FWIW, these days my favorite brakes are good old centerpulls. They're a great choice for general recreational riding. If appropriate for the bike (?) I'd pick Zeus 2000, just because I always thought they were super trick and super cool.
Old 11-22-19, 06:53 AM
brooklyn6640

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Gran Compe 450, FTW. I also like the Zeus 2000, but they've been out of production for three decades and may be hard to find, and expensive if you do find them. The salient difference between the Zeus 2000 and Super Alfa is the finish is much better on the 2000:

[img]https://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/zeus-2000-calipers.jpg
Hi Please tell me the reach min and max on the Zeus 2000 brakes , many thank,s
Old 11-22-19, 08:50 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by brooklyn6640
Hi Please tell me the reach min and max on the Zeus 2000 brakes , many thank,s
I measure 47mm to 60mm

HTH…
Old 11-22-19, 10:10 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
FWIW, the Zeus 2000 center pull brakes came in black. Very rare, but I remember them distinctly. Just throwing this out there, because I don't remember any of the other old companies making a black center pull BITD.
Old 11-22-19, 10:45 AM
brooklyn6640

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
FWIW, the Zeus 2000 center pull brakes came in black. Very rare, but I remember them distinctly. Just throwing this out there, because I don't remember any of the other old companies making a black center pull BITD.
Hi If you ha the choice : Zeus 2000 silver ( never seen in black ) vs Gran Compe GC450 , the Zeus is NOS and tge Compe brand new .
many thank,s