Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Eastern Canada
Reload this Page >

Thinking about Greater Niagara Circle Route

Search
Notices
Eastern Canada New Brunswick | Newfoundland and Labrador | Nova Scotia | Ontario | Prince Edward Island | Quebec

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-20, 01:20 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts

I'm looking for input on doing this ride over 2 1/2 days with a ride partner. I've ridden the Niagara Recreational Trail in the past (Ft. Erie to Niagara-on-the Lake), but I had family available as support to get back to our hotel. To me, the best part of the ride is probably Chippawa to NOTL and part of the Welland Canal Trail, maybe Port Weller to above the Flight Locks. The Friendship section along Lake Erie looks a bit boring.

I've been to the area many times, but my friend has not. So I'm thinking that the section from the Falls to NOTL could basically take a day if we stop and catch some of the attractions (Hornblower boat ride, Journey Behind the Falls, the Whitewater Walk, and the Aerocar plus maybe a winery further downstream).

I'm thinking B&B's for accommodations at Chippawa, NOTL, and the Canalside Inn at Port Colborne. What do you think about this itinerary (I'm 4.5 hours away driving time):
Day 1: Drive to Chippawa, spend the remaining day and evening in the Niagara area doing touristy things.
Day 2: Ride Chippawa to Niagara-on-the-Lake, 20 miles, 30 km. Take in the sights and attractions along the way. Is Route 55 out of NOTL an okay road to ride?
Day 3: Ride NOTL to Port Colborne, 31 miles, 50 km. maybe hit a winery, check out the canal views.
Day 4: Port Colborne to Chippawa, 35 miles, 56 km. Just ride it as there doesn't seem like there's much to see / do, and head for home in the afternoon.

I'm considering Mid-May for the ride but I've checked the historic weather for the area and it could be really pleasant (72F, 22C) or it could be (55 F, 13C). So I don't know about that. Mid summer can be really humid on the Niagara peninsula. I guess if we take the right clothes, we'd be okay if it were cool.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions? All would be appreciated! Thanks.
Old 02-13-20, 06:28 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
You might consider a winery tour. There are group packages, but you can do it on your own. The area is mostly flat, except for the escarpment, and roads are quite bike friendly.,