Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Damn Small Circumference Tire/Tubes...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-20, 02:25 PM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 79 Posts

So, I know this is rarely a "bicycle" application, but as I know there are numerous bike shop folks on here ... What tools are you using to reinstall tires on little (8 1/2" most commonly) wheels? I snap levers on these damn things, bleed, and teach the locals new words trying to get the tire beads back on. It looks like Harbor Freight has a Mini-Tire Changer, but not sure that works for these damn things... I freaking hate to see them come through the door. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-20, 03:12 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
It is nearly an irony that the cheapest and smallest tires can be the hardest to mount. Try a tire bear jack like the Kool Stop version. Andy
Old 02-15-20, 03:20 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Have used pure muscle in the past. Not sure I could do that today. Exceptionally careful use of screw drivers may be a way out, but must be very, very careful to not puncture the tube.
Old 02-15-20, 05:56 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 875 Posts
8-1/2". Wheel barrow, baby carriage....
Motorcycle tire irons are much stouter and still not overly large.
Old 02-15-20, 07:53 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
It is nearly an irony that the cheapest and smallest tires can be the hardest to mount. Try a tire bear jack like the Kool Stop version. Andy
I've got one of those tire bead jack thingies but I've never found it to be particularly useful. Am I missing something that should be obvious?
Old 02-15-20, 10:06 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
The hardest tires I've ever installed were the 7" tires on the front wheels of my father's wheelchair. I finally got them on after heating them up in the clothes dryer and using a Kool-Stop bead jack.
Old 02-15-20, 10:27 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I've got one of those tire bead jack thingies but I've never found it to be particularly useful. Am I missing something that should be obvious?
No but it's just another tool/option for others. I'm sure you've watched people gravitate to one tool or another, to do the same job. I have found the KS Tire Jack to be helpful to those who can't use a tire lever to mount a tire without pinching the tube. Also those with less hand/wrist strength then usual. I hardly ever need to use it but have worked with some who really like it. It is cool to show a customer how it works. Andy
Old 02-15-20, 11:23 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
When i worked in an auto/farm tire shop, they always gave me the garden and wheelbarrow type tires, as they were difficult, and i was good at it. I simply used large flathead screwdrivers, and a generous amount of soap.
Old 02-16-20, 06:07 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Some tire rim combos are just evil.
By the time I realize the problem, I am too fried to think it through , too.
Some times it is non adherence to standards and mis-measurement, by the mfr
Cheap tires exhibit that more, but there is a lot of user induced fog, too.
Multiple measuring errors on both parties' part abound.
Then you can always watch some bozo slip a tire on bare handed ,
and stare at you like "What's YOUR problem?"
If you need to be consoled by the unhelpful.