Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing the handlebar on the Giant Cold Rock?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-16-20, 06:15 AM
Thomas1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there,

I'm wondering how you can replace the handlebar on the Giant Cold Rock with the butterfly type?

This is the bike:
https://m.olx.pl/oferta/sprzedam-rower-gorski-giant-CID767-IDCvF5V.html?isPreviewActive=1
It's the only picture attached to the ad.

The stem clamp looks like it will only move a few mm once you unthread the bolt holding the handlebar. So how can you instal a handlebar like the butterfly one?
Old 02-16-20, 09:50 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You thread the bar through the clamp, the same way you remove the current one. The center portion of the bar where it is clamped is larger than the rest of the bar, which affords clearance to install and remove it.
Old 02-17-20, 11:32 AM
Thomas1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately it’s not as simple; et least, so it seems to me. I think you need more clearance at the ‘bends’ while (un)threading the butterfly handlebar, more than is usually sufficient to clamp at the larger centre portion of the bar. I ran into a similar problem trying to replace the ‘moustache’ type of handlebar on one of my bikes (see here and here for samples) also using the 1-bolt stem. So, by analogy, wouldn’t the butterfly handlebar require more clearance at the bends than the one afforded to install/remove the larger centre portion thereof?
Old 02-17-20, 12:08 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas1
Unfortunately it’s not as simple; et least, so it seems to me. I think you need more clearance at the ‘bends’ while (un)threading the butterfly handlebar, more than is usually sufficient to clamp at the larger centre portion of the bar. I ran into a similar problem trying to replace the ‘moustache’ type of handlebar on one of my bikes (see here and here for samples) also using the 1-bolt stem. So, by analogy, wouldn’t the butterfly handlebar require more clearance at the bends than the one afforded to install/remove the larger centre portion thereof?
Did you give it a try?
Old 02-17-20, 02:05 PM
Thomas1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't own the Giant in question. I'm considering buying it and converting to a touring/commuter bike. From experience I know I will need to swap the bar as it's not comfortable to me; the straight bar gives me wrist pain. So I'm trying to figure certain things out before making the final decision. I did, however, try removing it on the other bike I mentioned in my previous message. Its stem is the same type, the bar is also bent (at different angles though). It didn't work.
Did you, or anyone else, try it on a setup similar to the one on the Giant in question?
Old 02-17-20, 02:21 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Is the stem steel? Maybe pry the clamp open a little. Maybe replace the stem with one with a removable plate. How important is it?