Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Coming Soon Class 3 Trek

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Coming Soon Class 3 Trek

Old 01-11-20, 01:38 PM
  #1  
Rick53
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Posts: 131

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Coming Soon Class 3 Trek

Rick53 is offline  
Old 01-11-20, 02:14 PM
  #2  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 164 Posts
that's not what I thought I was going to see when I clicked on the thread. Could you add some more details?
unterhausen is offline  
Old 01-13-20, 03:25 PM
  #3  
Elvo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,244
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 75 Times in 43 Posts
Trek already has Class 3 ebikes
Elvo is offline  
Old 01-20-20, 10:09 AM
  #4  
Rick53
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Posts: 131

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo View Post
Trek already has Class 3 ebikes
Thanks for the INFO
Rick53 is offline  
Old 01-20-20, 10:10 AM
  #5  
Rick53
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Posts: 131

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
that's not what I thought I was going to see when I clicked on the thread. Could you add some more details?
When I know them I will post them :
Rick53 is offline  
Old 01-20-20, 01:16 PM
  #6  
tegnamo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Same chassis as this but with a suspension fork and some other differences

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=grey
tegnamo is offline  
Likes For tegnamo:
Old 01-30-20, 01:59 PM
  #7  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,292
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 107 Posts
I am on hold with Trek as we speak, waiting for more info than is on the website (compare feature does not work) about the Allant+ Class 3 bikes. I'm interested, but, HMOG $4K for a bike makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. That is definitely above the "no SWMBO authorization necessary" limit for credit card purchases.
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 01-31-20, 07:53 AM
  #8  
Mosyosalyangoz
Road Cyclist
 
Mosyosalyangoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Turkey / istanbul
Posts: 199

Bikes: Corelli Kr 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by tegnamo View Post
Same chassis as this but with a suspension fork and some other differences

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=grey
I would love to buy it. but the price of turkey 25.000 ₺
Mosyosalyangoz is offline  
Old 02-04-20, 09:04 AM
  #9  
DougG
Road Runner
 
DougG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 1,237

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2012 Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
I test rode an Allant+ and it was a really nice bike that they market as a Class 3 (28mph) "commuter" bike. They told me that there will be a variant with a suspension fork -- which is a must-have for my intended usage -- but were pretty sure it would be Class 1. This makes sense since a commuter will be mostly ridden on the streets where a 28mph limit is reasonable, whereas the Class 1 is more for bike paths where 20mph is usually sufficient. I'm still looking for a trail-worthy, non-MTB Class 3 bike and have only found the Specialized Vado to fit the bill for my purposes (that's available in the U.S.).
DougG is offline  
Old 02-17-20, 07:18 PM
  #10  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,292
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG View Post
I test rode an Allant+ and it was a really nice bike that they market as a Class 3 (28mph) "commuter" bike. They told me that there will be a variant with a suspension fork -- which is a must-have for my intended usage -- but were pretty sure it would be Class 1. This makes sense since a commuter will be mostly ridden on the streets where a 28mph limit is reasonable, whereas the Class 1 is more for bike paths where 20mph is usually sufficient. I'm still looking for a trail-worthy, non-MTB Class 3 bike and have only found the Specialized Vado to fit the bill for my purposes (that's available in the U.S.).
Unless you really WANT to spend $4K+ for your e-bike there is no actual need to get it from Trek. Suspension fork models are actually very plentiful in the Class 3 sector. A Juiced Bikes CrossCurrentX will have a suspension fork and is more likely to hit 28mph than an Allant+. It is $2500, the Allant is $4200 and that price is not going down for at least a year. As downright attractive as the Allant is, I really can't afford it and at the end of the day it doesn't really do anything that a Raleigh Redux IE or Giant Quick E+ can for $1000 less. That said, the real ticket to honest Class 3 performance (and $$$ savings to boot) is to add an e-assist kit to an existing bike. An e-assist motor in the $500 to $1000 range will rip the lungs out of anything sold by the Big 3 commercial companies without even trying hard.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 02-17-20 at 08:20 PM.
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 02-18-20, 09:36 AM
  #11  
DougG
Road Runner
 
DougG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 1,237

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2012 Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Unless you really WANT to spend $4K+ for your e-bike there is no actual need to get it from Trek. Suspension fork models are actually very plentiful in the Class 3 sector. A Juiced Bikes CrossCurrentX will have a suspension fork and is more likely to hit 28mph than an Allant+. It is $2500, the Allant is $4200 and that price is not going down for at least a year. As downright attractive as the Allant is, I really can't afford it and at the end of the day it doesn't really do anything that a Raleigh Redux IE or Giant Quick E+ can for $1000 less. That said, the real ticket to honest Class 3 performance (and $$$ savings to boot) is to add an e-assist kit to an existing bike. An e-assist motor in the $500 to $1000 range will rip the lungs out of anything sold by the Big 3 commercial companies without even trying hard.
If I were about 20 years younger I'm sure I'd rise to the challenge, but that was then...
DougG is offline  
Likes For DougG:
Old 02-21-20, 12:18 PM
  #12  
Bluesfrog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
DougG + 1.Be Well, Bluesfrog
Bluesfrog is offline  
Old 02-26-20, 03:03 PM
  #13  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,292
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 107 Posts
I hear both of you. I am on the wrong side of 60 myself, and with failing eyesight to boot, but I'm going to have an e-bike by gum, and it's going to haul or it isn't worth the hassle. So I may just have to get greasy. I've been two timing BF on a dedicated e-bike forum and another rider did this to a Raleigh Kodiak IE. Would that work for you Doug? They are $1k cheaper now. About the limit of what I want to spend. Current plan (it changes daily) is to start with this, add the usual fenders, rack, lights, etc and then the piece de resistance. Total cost should not exceed $2500 and don't ask about the top speed. Also in the unmentionable in polite company category: most Class 1 bikes being sold can be <cough> unlocked ... jailbroken ... whatever term you want to use for it. Pick a Class 1 bike you like for its looks, capabilities, whatever, and for an additional ~$200 get a 'tuning kit' to make it Class 3. If already Class 3 ... woo hoo ...
Leisesturm is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.