Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Which conversion?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Which conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-20, 02:41 PM
McLiam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which conversion?

I’ve got a Fuji Crosstown (comfort bike) that I’d use more if it had an electric boost. I’ve looked online at the Hilltopper & Swytch, but I’m not sure how well they would work. Cost is an issue, and I don’t have tools to do a complicated installation. Also, I want to be able to pedal along with the boost.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mac.

Old 02-17-20, 03:43 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
They both probably required about the same skills to install. If the hilltopper still has that little button you have to push to go, I would consider the swytch, don't know if swytch has a PAS option but it's not real easy to hold a throttle at a precise power point to get a consistent pedal action.
Old 02-17-20, 04:11 PM
McLiam

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry, I wasn’t clear—I looked at Hilltopper & Swytch because they are both easy to install. But I don’t want something that doesn’t work well, even if it’s easy.

I was wondering if people here might know of other easy-to-install systems. Or, maybe I should buy something else and have it installed?

Old 02-17-20, 04:26 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
Many hub kits don't require a lot of expertise to install and cost as low as $600. They are pretty much plug and play since the connections are color coded. Look at ebikeling which has had good prices and customer service for me.

Last edited by 2old; 02-17-20 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-17-20, 10:36 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by McLiam

Sorry, I wasn’t clear—I looked at Hilltopper & Swytch because they are both easy to install. But I don’t want something that doesn’t work well, even if it’s easy.

I was wondering if people here might know of other easy-to-install systems. Or, maybe I should buy something else and have it installed?

At its essence the Hilltopper system is a Bafang 8fun front hub motor. All front hub motor systems like it will be as easy to install. Swytch looks like a Kickstarter project that is still in the pre-order stage of non-production. Why is it of interest?
Old 02-18-20, 10:25 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Swytch is on its second iteration of crowdfunding. The first design went out a year ago. I believe the company behind it is Panda ebikes, out of England. It looks like a well though out system, although I wondered about the wisdom of hanging a battery on the handlebars using flexible contacts. If they were in the USA and had reasonable shipping, I might have looked into one.

Hilltopper is parts in a bag, with an on/off button. Later versions might have a throttle. Of no interest to me, because I can put my parts in a bag too,.And I have extra throttles laying around,

The conversion path is best pursued by people that know their bike mechanics and have some electrical knowledge and skills. I think Swytch makes it simpler, but if something doesn't work then trouble shooting requires that electrical knowledge. This statement also applies to inexpensive ebikes by mail order.
Old 02-18-20, 12:34 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Many hub kits don't require a lot of expertise to install and cost as low as $600. They are pretty much plug and play since the connections are color coded. Look at ebikeling which has had good prices and customer service for me.
I have had good results dealing with ebikeling.com also. Prices are reasonable and quality was better than I expected for the money. Good support too. They have a couple of DIY videos showing the assembly/conversion process that might help you determine if you can do the conversion yourself.
Old 02-18-20, 03:05 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
My first kit was an ebikeling 500W rear wheel in 2015. I had it installed (no battery) on an alloy frame, posted a pic here, and was advised to use torque arms. Instead, I put it on a steel frame bike, The wheel has never had to be taken off the bike. (No flat tires). Only had one scare. That was right after I hooked up the battery and turned it on. No power. Then I realized there was a second on/off switch. Since then, it's always run for me,.
Old 02-18-20, 03:43 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
The conversion path is best pursued by people that know their bike mechanics and have some electrical knowledge and skills. I think Swytch makes it simpler, but if something doesn't work then trouble shooting requires that electrical knowledge. This statement also applies to inexpensive ebikes by mail order.
True. My first install did not work. I had to methodically go through everything and test or bypass it to find the problem. Took about a week. Eventually found out the wires on the throttle did not match up to the controller, so it was getting no throttle signal. But when you turn it on and nothing happens at first - that can be pretty frustrating. Since then, its not much harder than changing a tire.

I spend a lot of time designing my kit. Really, you need to know what your speed is and ensure the kit gets you the speed you want. Also - how much power do you want. 250 watts is about the same as a biker in good shape, but that is typically the minimum amount of power. Cost, complexity, and weight go up a lot as you add speed.

Your biggest expense is the battery. A hub kit with no battery is pretty cheap (well, until you add shipping). Battery impacts cost, weight, speed, and range.

My first kit had a "noload" speed of about 22mph, but in reality it would go about 15mph on a load. Bummer that I ride just under 20mph, so the motor wasn't doing me any good. I had bought a couple of motors (they are cheap) so was able to swap one in that would help me out over 20mph...

I spent a tone of time researching, planning, designing, and troubleshooting my kit. I ended up with something inexpensive, unique and only now, 6 years later, are there bikes that offer something similar (Granted they cost over $7000).
Old 02-18-20, 07:10 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
The controller on my first kit was discrepant; analysis of the problem took a day or so and wasn't helped by an uncooperative supplier. Since then I've built about ten or so kits for myself, wife and friends without any problems. I disagree with anyone who says that trying to install a kit from a proven supplier (ebikesca, em3ev, Lunacycle, YESCOM, ebikeling) is difficult.