Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

10 Speed/Overdrive Troubleshooting

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-18-20, 04:38 PM
JTSpeedDemon

Bikes: Kent Rollin' Thunder 10-spd/overdrive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

So I just picked up a slightly rough Kent 10 speed with overdrive. Even though I can't ride it at the moment, I need some help troubleshooting the tranny(also I need to get 10 posts to post pics in my main thread).

Simply put, When I click either lever to upshift or downshift(while not pedaling, since it's not rideable), then lift up the rear and turn the crank several times, nothing happens. The chain also seems a little slack, although I'm used to fixed speed chain setups.

Also the shifter cables seem to be out of adjustment, with some slack, so I guess I'll tighten those up and report back.
Old 02-19-20, 07:08 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
First thought is to spray everything down with a lube/cleaner. Second replace the shifter cables and check the housings while at that. Third replace the brake cables.
doing these will allow the shifters to move easier and the cables to be smooth and that helps the shifting.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 02-21-20, 02:35 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
I can't be sure, but I think what you are calling an 'overdrive' is a 'large chainring and front derailleuir'.

Generally speaking, a front derailleur doesn't work when the cranks aren't turning - simply pushing the lever then turning the cranks after is very unlikely to work, especially on a more basic or older bike.