Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My Toes Are FREEZING!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My Toes Are FREEZING!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-16, 05:44 PM
bigdo13

Bikes: 2013 Giant Defy, 2013 Specialized S-Works Venge, 1993 Specialized Epic, 2012 Fezzari Fore CR3, 2015 Cipollini Bond

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Toes Are FREEZING!

So I've tried everything... double and triple layering cotton socks, one layer of cotton sock then a wool sock, construction socks... I even today had a thick nike base, and then a thick Nike, high quality tube, and put toe covers over that and then put on the shoe...

I really hate using tin foil, but I may have to just do it it seems like it works a lil' better... I dunno, wind still creeps in... someone must have a full-proof system...
Old 01-01-16, 05:52 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Have you looked at shoe covers?

Find Cycling Shoe Covers: The Best Cycling Clothing Accessories From Performance Bike

Shoe covers as opposed to just toe covers.
Old 01-01-16, 05:55 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3670 Post(s)
Liked 5,422 Times in 2,756 Posts
Have you tried the chemical toe warmers? They are cheap and will last longer than most folks would want to ride in the cold. Don't cram too much sock into your shoe, you need room for air pockets. I don't think cotton works well for cold, would stick with wool. Thick wool socks, chemical warmers and toe covers are good for me into the mid 20s. I'm not out below that!
Old 01-01-16, 05:56 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Toe warmers at Costco did the trick for me
Old 01-01-16, 05:58 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Toe covers will help. Also, look at Walmart or a sporting goods store for chemical toe warmers. One version of them has an adhesive side so the the warmer adheres to the bottom of your socks.
Old 01-01-16, 06:02 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
If your shoes aren't windproof, you've got a major problem right there. You should get some proper winter cycling shoes if you can afford them, otherwise, at least a windproof (e.g. GoreTex), fleeced winter overshoe. Neoprene booties aren't bad, either, but then you've got to get that warm air insulating with a good sock and insole.

Speaking of insoles, that's an oft overlooked area, but I've had good success in improving them, especially in non-winter shoes which have the sole open to the outside, either via cleat bolt holes or vents. Those will need to be blocked and insulated.
Old 01-01-16, 06:04 PM
benetga

Bikes: Trek 1.1, Nashbar Carbon105 , Specialized Rockhopper-SS, Aventon Aventure

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My set-up

1) Cut-out a pair of wool insoles from old pack boot liners replaced the foam insole.
2) Liner socks under heavy wool socks.
3) Toe covers

Very comfortable riding today with temps in the 20s
Old 01-01-16, 06:09 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
For extreme cold, I layer a thin sock, plastic baggie, then a thicker sock.

An old hikers trick is to rub a hot pepper paste on and between your toes before putting socks and shoes on. The pepper is supposed to stimulate circulation and help keep your toes warm.

IME the best remedy is shoes that are tight on your foot but loose at the toes themselves. People often put on extra socks than jam their foot into tight shoes, which is counter-productive because it restricts the blood circulation you need to keep toes warm. +In the winter you want to be sure you have plenty of wiggle room for your toes.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-01-16, 06:14 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by FBinNY
For extreme cold, I layer a thin sock, plastic baggie, then a thicker sock.

An old hikers trick is to rub a hot pepper paste on and between your toes before putting socks and shoes on. The pepper is supposed to stimulate circulation and help keep your toes warm.

IME the best remedy is shoes that are tight on your foot but loose at the toes themselves. People often put on extra socks than jam their foot into tight shoes, which is counter-productive because it restricts the blood circulation you need to keep toes warm. +In the winter you want to be sure you have plenty of wiggle room for your toes.
I use Tiger Balm on my knees and thighs when it's biting cold; maybe I'll try it on my toes/feet. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks!
Old 01-01-16, 07:54 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdo13
So I've tried everything... double and triple layering cotton socks, one layer of cotton sock then a wool sock, construction socks... I even today had a thick nike base, and then a thick Nike, high quality tube, and put toe covers over that and then put on the shoe...

I really hate using tin foil, but I may have to just do it it seems like it works a lil' better... I dunno, wind still creeps in... someone must have a full-proof system...
Maybe one of the suggestions here might help ...

Cold Feet

Years of experience cycling in bitterly cold temps went into writing that little article.

Last edited by Machka; 01-01-16 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-01-16, 08:01 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Duct tape over every hole and mesh on the shoe, toe warmers and thick wool socks. Good down to 32 degrees for me, which is about my limit.
Old 01-01-16, 08:23 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You're not alone!!

I'm trying the chemical warmers cuz I've tried all else.

I have $200 Specialized shoes
I have $30 toe covers
I have $20 super socks

No matter what I do, the toes eventually freeze. (Maybe I'm ok for 30 minutes, maybe 45 but eventually.....the cold wins!)

I haven't visually seen them yet, but I hope the toe warmers are a much thinner sack than the hand warmers so they fit nicely in with the shoe & don't cram the toes.
Old 01-01-16, 08:24 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
An old USAF trick is to wear nylons under medium socks. Learned that at northern tier bases.

I wear thin socks under medium woolies. Either way, you have to give your foot room to move.
And block the wind with something: shoe covers or gaffer tape.

When you stop at a light, swing your leg forward and back in as big an arc as you can. Looks silly, but it actually helps keep the blood in your toes.

There's also a rule to keep your core warm. If that gets cold, your body will protect that before your extremities.

I can go down to about 25 degree with just toe covers. Below that, I have winter shoes. And really, if it gets below that, I'm skiing or skating.
Old 01-01-16, 08:32 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Seems like a market for heated pedals is being overlooked by parts manufacturers. Perhaps something where the pedals would be powered/heated by a generator like they used on old style bike headlights..?

Seriously though I have this problem too. I'm gonna try some of the suggestions in this thread.

Last edited by exmechanic89; 01-01-16 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-01-16, 09:14 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Winter shoes. Simple solution. 1/2 size too big for thicker socks. I am a satisfied Northwave customer.
Before that, it was the neoprene booties, with optional extra layers such as plastic bags and/or lycra covers depending on temp.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-01-16, 09:15 PM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
My toes get cold, but I'm convinced at this point there's nothing I can do about it because the root cause is lack of circulation. This is your body's response to lowering core temps. So I just try to ignore it, a la rule #5 .
Old 01-01-16, 10:30 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by loimpact
You're not alone!!

I'm trying the chemical warmers cuz I've tried all else.

I have $200 Specialized shoes
I have $30 toe covers
I have $20 super socks

No matter what I do, the toes eventually freeze. (Maybe I'm ok for 30 minutes, maybe 45 but eventually.....the cold wins!)

I haven't visually seen them yet, but I hope the toe warmers are a much thinner sack than the hand warmers so they fit nicely in with the shoe & don't cram the toes.
I've had good results locating the chem heat packs between the shoe and shoe cover, atop the toe box of the shoe. With the old, zip front, Trek neoprene booties I have, it's really easy to do, but it may be trickier with a rear entry shoe cover; maybe a piece of tape to locate the pack on the cover before putting it on your shoe would work.
Old 01-01-16, 10:37 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by exmechanic89
Seems like a market for heated pedals is being overlooked by parts manufacturers. Perhaps something where the pedals would be powered/heated by a generator like they used on old style bike headlights..?

Seriously though I have this problem too. I'm gonna try some of the suggestions in this thread.
There are battery powered, heated insoles available, like the Thermacell ProFlex, which are probably pretty impressive performers.
Old 01-01-16, 10:39 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by jtaylor996
My toes get cold, but I'm convinced at this point there's nothing I can do about it because the root cause is lack of circulation. This is your body's response to lowering core temps. So I just try to ignore it, a la rule #5 .
Do your toes get cold when you ride in the summer? Probably not, so I'd assume warming them will work.
Old 01-01-16, 10:41 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdo13

It sounds like you've tried everything that involves cramming your shoes full anyway.

I don't know why it would ever be a good idea to wear cotton socks for cycling...

Snark aside, I recently got some neoprene booties that are quite toasty.
Old 01-01-16, 10:45 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I just bought some Under Armor Undeniable socks and they are unbelievably warm. I have poor circulation and constantly have cold feet. I bought the Undeniable socks just for riding (over the calf) but bought more and have been wearing them every day now. They might not solve your problems but for me, they are warmer than wearing 2 pairs of athletic tube socks.
Old 01-01-16, 10:53 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Cottton socks? Cotton socks? The OP is riding in cotton socks; the first rule of being outdoors in cold weather is ABC (anything but cotton). Ditch the socks and then move on to some of the other suggestions.
Old 01-01-16, 10:57 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
One thing that many forget (and I forgot to mention earlier) is that keeping your legs warm helps keep your feet warm. Since that's were they feel the cold most, people focus their efforts at insulating their feet. But if they neglect to properly insulate their legs, they severely undermine their efforts. If you have cold feet, add an extra layer on your legs, insulated tights or whatever, but do it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-01-16, 11:44 PM
Robius

Bikes: Felt AR2 Di2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Gaerne Storm Road Shoes 2015 | Chain Reaction Cycles

or these Gaerne Akira Winter Road Boots 2016 | Chain Reaction Cycles
Old 01-02-16, 07:52 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
I use neoprene booties - not the very thin ones but those that are medium weight. My shoes also don't have lots of ventilation either. When I ride in the 20s, my feet are fine. That might be because the rest of me is numb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.