Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crank arm play, what should I do?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-19, 09:09 PM
ssonny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This'll be my first fixed gear build, so i apologize in advance if my obliviousness is insufferable. But basically, i've finished installing everything except my crankset, its on the bike, but the crank arm is wobbling an awful lot no matter how hard i crank that thing down. Im wondering if i should get some spacers, or if im just not installing something correctly?

Bottom bracket shell is 68mm
Bottom bracket: SRAM GXP's
Crankset: SRAM Omniums

video showcasing wobble: imgurcomf26nppn (couldnt post links so i improvised, im sorry. Dot between imgur and con, and slash between com and f26nppn)

Last edited by ssonny; 12-20-19 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-20-19, 09:54 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Did you add the wave washer?
Old 12-20-19, 09:54 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by ssonny
This'll be my first fixed gear build, so i apologize in advance if my obliviousness is insufferable. But basically, i've finished installing everything except my crankset, its on the bike, but the crank arm is wobbling an awful lot no matter how hard i crank that thing down. Im wondering if i should get some spacers, or if im just not installing something correctly?

video showcasing wobble: imgurcomf26nppn (couldnt post links so i improvised, im sorry. Dot between imgur and con, and slash between com and f26nppn)
And what torque reading are you hitting? If you aren't using a torque wrench, then you almost certainly aren't torquing it enough.
Old 12-21-19, 04:53 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts

I'm fairly certain that you have forgotten to put the non-drive side spacer/dust cover on (part #1 in the image) before installing the crank arm. Without that part, the crank arm will always be loose.
Old 12-21-19, 09:23 AM
ssonny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
I'm fairly certain that you have forgotten to put the non-drive side spacer/dust cover on (part #1 in the image) before installing the crank arm. Without that part, the crank arm will always be loose.
unfortunately, i have. i might just try installing 2.5 spacers on either side and see how that works out.
Old 12-21-19, 09:33 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts

Where exactly is the play/wobble?

What is moving relative to what? How much play/wobble in mm? What orientation is the motion?

What exactly are you "cranking down"?
Old 12-21-19, 09:52 AM
dsaul

I just watched your video and that's not supposed to happen. Something is wrong with the non drive side bearing/cup assembly. It looks like someone installed a drive side bearing in the non-drive side. The drive side has a 24mm internal diameter and the non-drive is 22mm. Is this brand new?

With GXP, the non drive bearing is captured between the crankarm and a shoulder on the spindle. There should not be any movement in the direction your video shows, even without the drive side cup installed, so spacers are not the problem.
Old 12-21-19, 09:59 AM
ssonny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just watched your video and that's not supposed to happen. Something is wrong with the non drive side bearing/cup assembly. It looks like someone installed a drive side bearing in the non-drive side. The drive side has a 24mm internal diameter and the non-drive is 22mm. Is this brand new?

With GXP, the non drive bearing is captured between the crankarm and a shoulder on the spindle. There should not be any movement in the direction your video shows, even without the drive side cup installed, so spacers are not the problem.
Yeah its brand new, so basically.. i installed it wrong. Im stupid, sorry for the trouble. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited by ssonny; 12-21-19 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-21-19, 10:03 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Yeah its brand new, so basically.. i installed it wrong. Im stupid, sorry for the trouble. 🤦‍♂️
No need to apologize. That's what this forum is for. Obviously you weren't the only person ever to do this either.
Old 12-21-19, 10:21 AM
dsaul

I doubt that you installed the cups on the wrong side. They are threaded opposite of each other and would have been very difficult to install on the wrong side. If the bearing is wrong, it happened at the factory.
Old 12-21-19, 10:31 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,492 Posts
bearing/

appears the crankarm is secure.what I see is the bearing OD moving.with the arm removed will the bearing fall out or feel loose? maybe a counterfeit crankset with low quality BB?
Old 12-21-19, 10:43 AM
ssonny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I doubt that you installed the cups on the wrong side. They are threaded opposite of each other and would have been very difficult to install on the wrong side. If the bearing is wrong, it happened at the factory.
Should I buy a new bb? Or is there anything I could do?
Old 12-21-19, 11:01 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Your earlier post mentioned that you hadn't installed the dustcap/washer part. Do you still have this? It's kind of necessary.

If not, you can buy a kit with the proper washers from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Bottom-Bracke...s%2C137&sr=8-4

Of course, check to ensure that this kit matches up properly with your BB. If you can't find a match, I think the BB itself is around 30-40 bucks.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 12-21-19 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-21-19, 12:06 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,492 Posts
Should I buy a new bb? Or is there anything I could do?
confirm a bad non drive bearing/cup then try to return it if you bought it new from a dealer/bikeshop.
Old 12-21-19, 09:49 PM
ssonny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by '02 nrs
confirm a bad non drive bearing/cup then try to return it if you bought it new from a dealer/bikeshop.
how should i determine whether or not the bearing/cup is bad or not?