Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Oreck Vacuum Quality

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Oreck Vacuum Quality

Old 01-20-20, 03:25 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 124 Posts
Oreck Vacuum Quality

Wife picked up an Oreck vacuum cleaner about 4 years ago. The power cord is cracking and exposing the inner wires. The power button wire that links the upright portion to the motor is doing the same thing and one of the exposed wires has severed. Cost 350 bucks new. What gives with the low end quality on such a key component of this device?

Have a Sanitaire vacuum that is 18 years old and works like a charm. Zero issues at all. Only issue the Mrs. has with it is the weight. Kind of like me! Or my vintage bikes!
Old 01-20-20, 10:24 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn "Speedster" Willy

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 361 Posts
I only bought one Oreck several years ago due to a recommendation from my boss. It made sucking sounds, but it didn't suck enough to clean carpet. So I returned it and got a less expensive Eureka vacuum and Hoover steam cleaner for the same money. Both of them sucked plenty for many years.

I still have and use the Hoover steam cleaner. Just replaced the cheapo Eureka with another Eureka before Christmas, only because I repaired the older Eureka (cleaned it) and gave it to one of my stepdaughters.
Old 01-21-20, 02:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10380 Post(s)
Liked 1,793 Times in 1,043 Posts
Go Miele or go home.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-21-20, 04:35 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 10355 Post(s)
Liked 1,561 Times in 938 Posts
I've heard Miele is the one to have, mostly because of air quality while you vacuum. Anybody know if that's true? I'm about to move to a place with carpets, and my kitty has asthma.
Old 01-21-20, 10:46 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
My experiences with Miele weren't so good. Ours would clog on the slightest thing. I would have to take it apart and remove the ridiculously smal leaf or object that wedge crosswise in the plastic corrugated hoses inside. Dust bunnies or carpet fuzz would then build up and clog it. The proprietary bags were also unreasonably expensive. The vacuum was assembled with Torx type fasteners,as well, necessitating An investment in more limited use tools.
We switched over to a Kenmore bagless type ( not a Dyson!! Don't get me started on those) that was very highly rated for dealing with pet hair. Much less headaches.....
Likes For elcraft:
Old 01-21-20, 10:54 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 229 Posts
I had a 1990 Kenmore for 20+ years. Paid more for an upright. It stopped working well in about 4. I now have a Simplicity which seems as good as the Kenmore and has the next level filter and dust retention. (But the Kenmore hose parts and nozzles were and still are better and I still l use them. Made an adapter for my shop vac and use the Kenmore nozzles with it also.)

Ben
Old 01-21-20, 11:12 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Go Miele or go home.
+1 for Miele. best vacuum investment i’ve made. mine is well constructed, was made especially for pet hair, works very well for that, on all surfaces and has an air clean system for pre-motor, bag and exhaust.

Last edited by clemsongirl; 01-22-20 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-21-20, 11:16 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 3339 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 491 Posts
My family have used Oreck uprights for years, no problems. Never had one die or need expensive servicing. They're rather simple and almost crude compared with newer models. All they do is vacuum floors. No attachments. They're a little heavy to push and sluggish feeling on anything more that bare floors or very flat carpet. But the suction has always been good. It's basically for offices, hotels -- no thick, plush carpeting and definitely no shag carpeting. The beater brush will snag shag and rip it out of the backing or die trying. And it better be good quality flat carpeting because it will shred poor quality carpeting, unzipping long strands across an entire floor in a split second.

And they use bags. I despise bagless vacuums. The process of emptying the dust cannister is so foul and gag inducing it defeats the whole purpose of using a vacuum. But I'm picky due to chronic sinus allergies, congestion and asthma. I won't use anything that doesn't use a proper filter bag.

My granddad was a gadget freak and must have tried every top model vacuum made between the 1950s and 1990s when he died. When I cleaned out their property after both grandparents died, in one of their storage buildings I found an entire Kirby vacuum set that I'd forgotten about -- they got it in the early 1970s, along with every third Southerner. The full shebang included attachments for spraying insecticide and fertilizer for gardens, spray painting... probably also had attachments for piano lessons and bible study. None of it worked very well and weighed a ton. There may be enough discarded Kirbys in barns and sheds throughout the South to build armored vehicles... which would also suck.

Their best vacuum was a canister model, one of those things that looked like a fat scuba tank that followed you around. I think it was a Eureka? Anyway, good suction, but inconvenient ergonomics.And they had a Hoover or two, one or two of the early bagless models that they abandoned for the same reason -- because it's disgusting to clean them.

So they kept going back to the Oreck. They also had the Buster B handhelds which were just oh-kay, not nearly as good as the TV ads made them out to be.

I have an old Oreck upright, bought used about 5 years ago from a local vacuum shop that rebuilds and resells them. It's the only model they did that with. The owner sold several brands but said it wasn't worth the trouble to rebuild and resell other models -- they came back too often for warranty repairs. That says a lot about the industry.

A week or so ago I had to disassemble the Oreck's cleaning head to dig out an accumulation of pet hair and fibers wrapped around the beater brush, making it sluggish. It reinforced my impression that the Oreck is rather crude but does what it's supposed to do -- within limits. Bare floors or flat carpeting.

I have a couple of handhelds for other stuff, like furniture. With cats I need to vacuum the furniture often. A little red Dirt Devil handles that fine. And it's bagless, which I like. Decent suction.

I also have an older Shark bagless, which I would have tossed out years ago except it has good suction for a little machine. So I use it for cabinets, wherever the crevice tool is handy. But the Shark runs hot and shuts itself off after extended operation to avoid overheating. It still gets hot enough to warp the plastic fittings. So the main problem isn't the motor. It still generates plenty of suction. But it's a chore to align the heat-warped joints and fittings to prevent suction loss. I've resorted to tape and super glue in some places. That's typical of Sharks, including our blender. Crazy strong motors, but they'll overheat with extended use and warp the plastic housings.
Old 01-22-20, 06:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10380 Post(s)
Liked 1,793 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
+1 for Miele. best vacuum investment i’ve made. mine is well constructed, was made especially for pet hair, works very well for that, on all surfaces and has an air clean system for pre-motor, bag and exhaust.
Yep. I have the C-3 Cat & Dog complete. Over $900 with tax, but worth it. The turbo brush that came with it is excellent for removing pet hair from fabric.
Old 01-22-20, 04:13 PM
BenzFanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
The quality of your vacuum depends so much on how you use it. (And vacuum shopping is a deep, dark hole, and I hate it.) If the Oreck works well for you, get it repaired. I can't imagine a wire would be very complex to replace.

If you are a big believer in Consumer reports, Kenmore and Shark pretty much dominate their lists, of course with appearances by Miele, Dyson, etc.
Old 01-22-20, 04:39 PM
TiHabanero

I have repaired the broken switch wire, but my point is that it should not have happened in the first place. Simply low quality wire harness was used to build it. At the gym this morning I checked out the Oreck they use there and it looks like it is better made as the power cord is heavier than the one we have, and it is not splitting open every 24 inches like ours. Will be replacing the power cord completely after I let Oreck know about the problem.

Meanwhile, the Sanitaire keeps on going. Can't kill the thing after 17 years of use before it was retired to my basement shop for weekly cleanup duty down there. Had one at the shop I worked in for 30 years. That one was 20 years old when I left there and it never gave a hint of problems. Sucked up everything from bolts and nuts to mud and guts. I think it is still being used daily at the shop which puts it at 30 years.
Old 01-23-20, 05:23 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 3339 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 491 Posts
That does seem odd about the Oreck wiring. We've had three Oreck uprights over the past 30 or so years (the XL2, now) and none had any wiring problems. I wonder whether they got a bad batch of wiring harnesses and maybe the problem was limited in distribution.
Old 01-23-20, 12:02 PM
Kedosto
Ambulophobic

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 121 Posts
Kirby, baby! Nothing beats the total body workout of that 25lb stainless beauty.

-Kedosto
Old 01-23-20, 06:06 PM
TiHabanero

Oh yeah, Kirby is heavier than the Sanitaire. Seriously bombproof vacs. Sucked the cat up in one. The Kirby was never the same.
Old 01-24-20, 03:39 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2492 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
dyson...I bought an Oreck once got a free hand mixer with it.. sent the Oreck back and they let me keep the mixer..it sill works. The Oreck sucked...not in a good way
Old 01-24-20, 05:01 PM
Fatter Frank

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roll Elite 2015 Trek Verve 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Dyson, the Animal 41. 6 years now and still going strong. 3 cats. They live here. Not fallen victim to the Animal 41. I believe the cats wanted the Roomba, but it would take 3 of them to keep the peace among the beast.
Old 01-28-20, 03:33 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2492 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatter Frank View Post
Dyson, the Animal 41. 6 years now and still going strong. 3 cats. They live here. Not fallen victim to the Animal 41. I believe the cats wanted the Roomba, but it would take 3 of them to keep the peace among the beast.
I loved our animal but the hose kept tearing and the wife said it was too heavy for her. So we now have a shark rocket. Not bad for the money.