Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pedals With Toe Clips

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Pedals With Toe Clips

Old 02-05-20, 03:10 AM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
These are some very inexpensive lightweight chrome steel items from somewhere in China. I got them on ebay.

Pretty nice. The toe clip looks classic and the leather strap looks good. But what type of shoe do you ride with? With that style of peddle the cleats dig into my tennis shoes and put my feet asleep after a few miles and I am pulling my feet out of the clips and shaking them...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-05-20, 03:23 AM
mjac

These are some very inexpensive lightweight chrome steel items from somewhere in China. I got them on ebay.

I really like these toe clips especially with the brown leather strap. Have you ever seen them or something like them with a bronze finish?...mjac
Old 02-05-20, 04:31 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...FWIW, since we're talking pedals that fit wide feet, MKS makes a knock off of the old Suntour quill pedals called the AR-2. I use them in situations that seem appropriate for quill pedals. They have a wide "platform", and a pretty shallow quill portion. They're usually pretty cheap, from the various online sellers like Ben's.

This is what I have. Original 15 year old pedal, grinded down cleats, Masonite platform screwed to spindle with blunted screws, plastic toe clips with two tie tie straps and bad bearings. I am thinking about upgrading...Thanks,mjac

Last edited by mjac; 02-05-20 at 04:39 AM.
Old 02-05-20, 04:42 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by ups
With these MKS pedals would make a great combo.
Now that is Retro...Thanks, mjac
Old 02-05-20, 07:46 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
If you went to buy the Marcel Berthet Pedals today would they be expensive? That is what I meant.
The Berthet pedals have been out of production for more than a couple decades now, and prices are all over the map. I've seen them go for US$5 all the way up to over US$100. A couple years ago, I picked up a NOS pair for US$12. They had 1/2" axles, but it was trivial to swap in 9/16" axles from a set of mod. 136 pedals.
Old 02-05-20, 08:19 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The Berthet pedals have been out of production for more than a couple decades now, and prices are all over the map. I've seen them go for US$5 all the way up to over US$100. A couple years ago, I picked up a NOS pair for US$12. They had 1/2" axles, but it was trivial to swap in 9/16" axles from a set of mod. 136 pedals.
I thought they would be well in excess of $100 today. You were fortunate to find that NOS pair for that price. Of course you knew what you were looking at.

I see you artfully dodge the question about what if your wife was not putting out maximum effort as the stroker. A guy once asked if he should get two solo canoes or one tandem canoe for him and his wife. He was told it depends on if you want to get a divorce or not...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-05-20, 09:30 AM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
If you find that the MKS touring pedals present a problem with comfort because of their teeth, you might want to take a closer look at the MKS Urban platform because they are quite wide and pretty smooth without a surface designed to indent into cleats (like the Berthet appears to have). They also have sealed cartridge bearings, (most of the MKS offerings are traditional cup and cone) and are very, very smooth turning pedals. They flip easy with the toe tab but it takes a little bit of technique adjustment for me because the idel flip needs to engage a little more forward on the toe than other pedals I've been using. If you're using half clips, you'd probably have a bit greater margin for successful and happy pedal flipping. So, I like these pedals and they are comfortable 40 miles in, unlike a lot of pedals that seem ok for about 10 miles and then attack. I've never seen the GR9 or GR10 pedals, but the Urbabn Platforms look to be wider, also.

The most comfortable pedals I've used are SR SP-155 touring pedals that came standard on the Miyata 1000 in the late 80s. They're pretty nicely made and extra wide and flip every time. Velobase shows them. They come up on ebay rarely and never at a real good price, but are really really nice.
Old 02-05-20, 12:46 PM
tomtomtom123

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Some of the MKS pedals use cartridge bearings. They run very freely even after 3000km.
Old 02-05-20, 01:05 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Pedals shown are "XLC Retro Pedals" that are poor cousins to the higher quality MKS Touring pedals. If you keep a sharp eye out you can sometimes find these XLC retro pedals on line for as little as $15 pair. On ebay now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XLC-Retro-P...MAAOSwSCNahbpB
Old 02-05-20, 05:54 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by desconhecido
If you find that the MKS touring pedals present a problem with comfort because of their teeth, you might want to take a closer look at the MKS Urban platform because they are quite wide and pretty smooth without a surface designed to indent into cleats (like the Berthet appears to have). They also have sealed cartridge bearings, (most of the MKS offerings are traditional cup and cone) and are very, very smooth turning pedals. They flip easy with the toe tab but it takes a little bit of technique adjustment for me because the idel flip needs to engage a little more forward on the toe than other pedals I've been using. If you're using half clips, you'd probably have a bit greater margin for successful and happy pedal flipping. So, I like these pedals and they are comfortable 40 miles in, unlike a lot of pedals that seem ok for about 10 miles and then attack. I've never seen the GR9 or GR10 pedals, but the Urbabn Platforms look to be wider, also.
I
The most comfortable pedals I've used are SR SP-155 touring pedals that came standard on the Miyata 1000 in the late 80s. They're pretty nicely made and extra wide and flip every time. Velobase shows them. They come up on ebay rarely and never at a real good price, but are really really nice.
I got the GR9s. I hope I did not make a mistake. Those Urban Plarforms sound nice. I just opened the package, the GR9s are Narrow. I mean Narrow.I do not know if they are going to work. I ride with high top tennis shoes. Are these for riding with a special riding shoe? I guesse the urban platforms are made to ride with everyday shoes. May not have any choice. I just looked at them, I don't see how they could work. If I put the peddle in the middle of the shoe the shoe covers the threaded post. Back to square one...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-05-20, 07:28 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I thought they would be well in excess of $100 today. You were fortunate to find that NOS pair for that price. Of course you knew what you were looking at.

I see you artfully dodge the question about what if your wife was not putting out maximum effort as the stroker. A guy once asked if he should get two solo canoes or one tandem canoe for him and his wife. He was told it depends on if you want to get a divorce or not...Thanks,mjac
That was my stoker you were asking about. We’ve never been a go-fast team. She does her fair share - near as I can tell.
Old 02-05-20, 08:16 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by JanMM
That was my stoker you were asking about. We’ve never been a go-fast team. She does her fair share - near as I can tell.
Sorry, just joking around.

I got the MSK GR9s today and they are so narrow I don't see how I can use them. If I put the pedal in the middle of the high top tennis shoes that I ride with the shoe hangs over the threaded post. They must be designed to use with riding shoes and urban platforms for regular shoes. Had to send them back. I guesse you have to pay $50 or $60 to get a big flat platform pedal...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-05-20, 11:51 PM
desconhecido 

Sorry, just joking around.

I got the MSK GR9s today and they are so narrow I don't see how I can use them. If I put the pedal in the middle of the high top tennis shoes that I ride with the shoe hangs over the threaded post. They must be designed to use with riding shoes and urban platforms for regular shoes. Had to send them back. I guesse you have to pay $50 or $60 to get a big flat platform pedal...Thanks,mjac
I just compared the width of the Urban Platform pedals to the width of Campagnolo SL pedals and the MKS pedals are overall a bit narrower but they seem to "feel" wider, I think, because of the narrowing on the outboard side of a traditional quill pedal. That is, I don't seem to feel the pain when my foot extends outward of the Urban Platform pedal as I do when the Campagnolo quill gets found by my foot. But even worse are the "track" pedals. I have a pair of MKS "track" pedals (much like the MKS touring pedals although considerably narrower) and a pair of Atom 700 "track" pedals and both those are too narrow for me to use at all. The Atom pedals have 14mm thread -- I don't know why I have them.

The width of the platform on the Urban pedals is a bit less than 80mm. Maybe wide enough, don't know.
Old 02-06-20, 01:17 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
If I put the peddle in the middle of the shoe the shoe covers the threaded post...
I think those pedals are made to be pressed with the ball of the foot.
Old 02-06-20, 01:27 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
I think those pedals are made to be pressed with the ball of the foot.
o

That is the whole point. I think they are made to be used with narrow riding shoes. My high top tennis shoes are wide and bulky. I could not center my foot on the peddle at all. The pedal would be on the inside of the foot only even if I jammed it against the crank. They are just too short along the axle. When you all say width you mean 90 degrees to the axle or along the axle?...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-06-20, 01:34 AM
desconhecido 

o

That is the whole point. I think they are made to be used with narrow riding shoes. My high top tennis shoes are wide and bulky. I could not center my foot on the peddle at all. The pedal would be on the inside of the foot only even if I jammed it against the crank. They are just too short along the axle. When you all say width you mean 90 degrees to the axle or along the axle?...Thanks,mjac
along the axle.
Old 02-06-20, 01:37 AM
mjac

I just compared the width of the Urban Platform pedals to the width of Campagnolo SL pedals and the MKS pedals are overall a bit narrower but they seem to "feel" wider, I think, because of the narrowing on the outboard side of a traditional quill pedal. That is, I don't seem to feel the pain when my foot extends outward of the Urban Platform pedal as I do when the Campagnolo quill gets found by my foot. But even worse are the "track" pedals. I have a pair of MKS "track" pedals (much like the MKS touring pedals although considerably narrower) and a pair of Atom 700 "track" pedals and both those are too narrow for me to use at all. The Atom pedals have 14mm thread -- I don't know why I have them.

The width of the platform on the Urban pedals is a bit less than 80mm. Maybe wide enough, don't know.
I do not know, I am not familiar with them. But the product description says the Urban Platform Pedals are 4.7 inches x 4.3 inches. That would be about 118mm x 108mm. The GR9s are about 75mm x 67mm.

What at is a Quill Pedal?

I guess I just have to decide if I want to pay $60 - $70 for a set of pedals. But others pay upwards of $150. Maybe I will just wait for a deal on a higher end peddle...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-06-20, 03:31 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I do not know, I am not familiar with them. But the product description says the Urban Platform Pedals are 4.7 inches x 4.3 inches. That would be about 118mm x 108mm. The GR9s are about 75mm x 67mm.

I guess I just have to decide if I want to pay $60 - $70 for a set of pedals. But others pay upwards of $150. Maybe I will just wait for a deal on a higher end peddle...Thanks,mjac
I was looking for wider pedals for toe clips and straps and the Urban Platforms are not what I would call wide (found this out after I bought a pair). They do have a large tab to spin the pedal for putting your foot in. Fortunately they were super easy to sell. MKS also makes a bolt on tab for touring pedals.

I would recommend the OP visit the Mikashima (MKS) website as it has dimensions of all their pedals and weights. I decided on the Sylvan Touring Next. They were among the widest, have parallel plates for even distribution across the ball of your feet, have SMOOTH sealed bearings, and the plates are replaceable. An added benefit is they are lighter than many clipless pedals and were about $44 (now near $53+ due to tariffs on Asian bike parts). The MKS toe clips come in sizes and also offer a deeper version for street shoes and are great for hiking shoes. Did I say smooth bearings and SILVER color (or black)

I have a set of 40 year old MKS road quill pedals and they are still great, but too narrow now. MKS leather straps are very strong and also stiff to keep it easy to slip your foot into the pedal and clips, and are a bit longer for larger feet. Nylon straps are very cheap, but often limp and catch on anything that protrudes from the shoe. I have been on rides where a frayed or worn nylon strap would not open fast due to threads hooking on the teeth of the buckle. No one was hurt, but they were a bit scared. MKS is still a made in Japan product.
MKS website: https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=en/product/node/331

Universal Cycles is having a close-out on the Sylvan Touring Next pedals. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop....php?id=100114

There are some quick removable versions called EZY-Superior, but they get pricey at around $80-100. That way you can remove the pedal for storage, carrying in a car or on mass transit (where allowed), or to swap clipped, clipless, or platforms depending on the riding.

Last edited by Bill in VA; 02-06-20 at 03:35 AM.
Old 02-06-20, 05:57 AM
mjac

I must have gotten some bad information, I do not know where I got it maybe off some website selling the Urban Platforms. But MKS's website lists the size as W80 & L69. Sorry...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-06-20, 06:25 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
I was looking for wider pedals for toe clips and straps and the Urban Platforms are not what I would call wide (found this out after I bought a pair). They do have a large tab to spin the pedal for putting your foot in. Fortunately they were super easy to sell. MKS also makes a bolt on tab for touring pedals.

I would recommend the OP visit the Mikashima (MKS) website as it has dimensions of all their pedals and weights. I decided on the Sylvan Touring Next. They were among the widest, have parallel plates for even distribution across the ball of your feet, have SMOOTH sealed bearings, and the plates are replaceable. An added benefit is they are lighter than many clipless pedals and were about $44 (now near $53+ due to tariffs on Asian bike parts). The MKS toe clips come in sizes and also offer a deeper version for street shoes and are great for hiking shoes. Did I say smooth bearings and SILVER color (or black)

I have a set of 40 year old MKS road quill pedals and they are still great, but too narrow now. MKS leather straps are very strong and also stiff to keep it easy to slip your foot into the pedal and clips, and are a bit longer for larger feet. Nylon straps are very cheap, but often limp and catch on anything that protrudes from the shoe. I have been on rides where a frayed or worn nylon strap would not open fast due to threads hooking on the teeth of the buckle. No one was hurt, but they were a bit scared. MKS is still a made in Japan product.
MKS website: https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=en/product/node/331

Universal Cycles is having a close-out on the Sylvan Touring Next pedals. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop....php?id=100114

There are some quick removable versions called EZY-Superior, but they get pricey at around $80-100. That way you can remove the pedal for storage, carrying in a car or on mass transit (
U
allowed), or to swap clipped, clipless, or platforms depending on the riding.
Okay, the big question is what type of shoe do you wear with this pedal. This style pedal came with the bike. When I rode with tennis shoes the little cleats dug in, put my feet asleep and developed callouses. I had to grind the teeth down and rig a platform on top of the spindle. Here is a picture of this contraption.

I have decided one thing, if I am gonna upgrade it is going to be a ignificsnt upgrade to a good design with the triple seal bearings. Maybe catch a sale or a clearance. There is no rush and I know what I am looking for now...Thanks,mjac

By the way,no one answered this yet,what is a "Quill" Pedal?
Old 02-06-20, 07:03 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

A quill pedal has an upturned bit on the outside of the pedal cage that helps to stop the foot from moving sideways on the pedal.

Cheers
Old 02-06-20, 07:12 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Miele Man
A quill pedal has an upturned bit on the outside of the pedal cage that helps to stop the foot from moving sideways on the pedal.

Cheers
Thanks, from all the descriptions I read I thought it was just the parrellel plate design. No one mentioned the foot retainer Quill...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-06-20, 10:54 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man

Cheers
Thanks Miele Man, I was going to post that exact same image. I loved quill pedals both with flat shoes and old school slotted cleat shoes. Feet are now too wide and the quill, if too far inboard will be felt unless the sole is hard. Many quill-looking pedals have a quill that is not raised.

To the OP: I now use Shimano SH-GR5 Flat Pedal Shoes with the MKS Sylvan Touring next. They are flat enough to slide in and out easy and are lace-up. Velcro straps WILL catch on the toe clip straps. They are designed for mountain and free riding or touring. I also can use Merrell Moab II low hiking shoes since the MKS Deep XL toeclip allows a bulkier toe shoe without any trade-off for me. That was my main goal, flexibility.
Old 02-06-20, 10:59 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Thanks Miele Man, I was going to post that exact same image. I loved quill pedals both with flat shoes and old school slotted cleat shoes. Feet are now too wide and the quill, if too far inboard will be felt unless the sole is hard. Many quill-looking pedals have a quill that is not raised.

To the OP: I now use Shimano SH-GR5 Flat Pedal Shoes with the MKS Sylvan Touring next. They are flat enough to slide in and out easy and are lace-up. Velcro straps WILL catch on the toe clip straps. They are designed for mountain and free riding or touring. I also can use Merrell Moab II low hiking shoes since the MKS Deep XL toeclip allows a bulkier toe shoe without any trade-off for me. That was my main goal, flexibility.
Yes, a problem with a lot of quill pedals is that they are pretty narrow and a lot of shoes don't fit comfortably on them.

Cheers
Old 02-06-20, 12:11 PM
mjac

The SH-GR5 Flat Pedal Shoes have a hard sole?...Thanks,mjac

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.