Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crank tool ruined on super-stuck crank

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Crank tool ruined on super-stuck crank

Old 02-08-20, 05:28 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Yes, that's a really weird right hand cup. Those two really rusted bits look to be old chainguard supports. Once you get the lockring off those supports should come right off. With luck, lots of luck, the cup might just unscrew.

Keep us posted as to whether yo get that cup off or not.

Good luck.

Cheers
Old 02-08-20, 06:46 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
The adjusting ring on the DS is probably there just to hold the chain guard mount on.
Old 02-08-20, 09:14 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
The adjusting ring on the DS is probably there just to hold the chain guard mount on.
And it probably has a left-hand thread as well. Actually, you can *see* that it does.
Old 02-08-20, 09:22 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
I did have MTB that had fixed cup nds and adjustable on the drive. I think it was for a bb mounted derailleur bracket.
Old 02-08-20, 09:36 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
Place a few drops of diesel fuel on the threaded parts and, it will dissolve the rust away.
Old 02-10-20, 12:11 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
The binding you felt with the 2 dollar tool was likely soft (not heat-treated) steel galling (cold welding) on soft steel. The steel was of such a poor grade (or perhaps you have a lot more arm strength than most) that you just ripped the threads off the tool.

That forged steel crank arm, and the beefy frame construction are wild. That is one "built like a tank" bike. Where are you? Is the bike locally made?

Pet Peeve: It seems to me that everyone should add their location to their profile. The site would be a lot more useful and interesting. My 2 cents.
Old 02-17-20, 10:56 PM
mtb_addict

Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
T.

That forged steel crank arm, and the beefy frame construction are wild. That is one "built like a tank" bike. Where are you? Is the bike locally made?

Pet Peeve: It seems to me that everyone should add their location to their profile. The site would be a lot more useful and interesting. My 2 cents.
i am in southeast Asia. This bike could be of Taiwan origin. i see alot of these old bikes still going strong, being used by ordinary people everyday to get around.

The newer bikes are mostly from mainland China. I avoided getting these, because they have cheap 6/7 speeds shifters and derailleurs that could break or go misalign very easily in the crowded bike racks.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 02-18-20 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-17-20, 11:05 PM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
A note about removing cranks and pedals: Time can be your friend. I've put penetrating oil on things that were stuck good, tried again in a month, and they came off easily. This includes a crank arm on my spouse's Bianchi, and innumerable pedals from salvaged bikes. Also, bigger molecules will eventually creep in, but take longer.

I've seen steel cotterless crank arms on bikes in the US.
Old 02-18-20, 07:25 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
i am in southeast Asia. This bike could be of Taiwan origin. i see alot of these old bikes still going strong, being used by ordinary people everyday to get around.

The newer bikes are mostly from mainland China. I avoided getting these, because they have cheap 6/7 speeds shifters and derailleurs that could break or go misalign very easily in the crowded bike racks.
I agree, there are advantages to a proven, no-frills design executed in steel! I think your experience with the cheap vs the higher quality crank tool underscores this point.

I started my biking career with what is known as an Ashtabula crank: a solid piece of steel forged into the shape of an "S". Then I moved on to a steel cottered crank. Then I moved on to aluminum. But some of those old bikes are still going. I'm aesthetically restoring fully functional bikes now from 1973 and 1978. I agree with you about choosing a bike for purpose. In this case, to holdup over time. The lugs on the bottom bracket of your bike, as well as the chain guard, look very strong. I hope your bike gets back together in good shape. With luck, you'll be able to ride it for many years.
Old 02-18-20, 08:05 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

So you say that the rhs (also called "Drive Side" or DS) is weird? How?

You should be able to get that cup and cone off with a lockring wrench. If it won't come off there's a product here called Kroil, by Cano. There's also Liquid Wrench, and other penetrating oil products. I'm sure you have some where you are. If no commercial product is available, there is a mix that has worked for a lot of people: half and half mix of acetone (nail polish remover) and ATF (automatic transmission fluid). The acetone will strip paint, so be careful. If you can get the non drive side out, and the spindle and bearings, you should be able to apply penetrating oil from both the inside and the outside of those threads. They should then come off.

Good luck.
Old 06-26-20, 07:08 PM
dougdunn

Bikes: '76 Centurion Pro Tour, '78 Centurion Super LeMans custom, '10 Scott CR1 Comp/Pro, '11 KHS Tandemania Cross, '96 Kestrel 200 SCi, German Centurion Al Road Bike, Cannondale 500 (M&W), Museeuw/ZRace project

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Percussive Maintenance!

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
So are Jacobs chuck wedges. Another thing to try is to get the extractor properly installed and as tight as you dare, then hit the drive end of the tool squarely with a hand sledge; the vibration plus the impact against the spindle by the tool will often pop the taper loose.
Edit: Plus hitting things with hammers can be an anger outlet.
Percussive Maintenance works on some things, but don't try it on your laptop!
Old 06-26-20, 07:57 PM
dougdunn

Bikes: '76 Centurion Pro Tour, '78 Centurion Super LeMans custom, '10 Scott CR1 Comp/Pro, '11 KHS Tandemania Cross, '96 Kestrel 200 SCi, German Centurion Al Road Bike, Cannondale 500 (M&W), Museeuw/ZRace project

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
This hack works! I did hit it a bit harder than a "tap" and I used a 14" pipe wrench, but it worked. Thanks for the tip. DD
Old 06-26-20, 11:43 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
i've never seen an crank tool strip before the crank does.

It's not unusual for the internal threads on the crank to pull out.
+1
Old 06-27-20, 04:18 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by dougdunn
Percussive Maintenance works on some things, but don't try it on your laptop!
now he tells me! Last time I hit Enter, I had to replace the keyboard......🙄
Old 06-27-20, 07:31 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Had one of those self extractors do the same thing, they only engage half the threads the proper tool threads into..
Old 06-27-20, 11:40 AM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts

Last edited by krecik; 01-14-21 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-29-20, 02:58 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
The crank is steel.

Btw, the crank tool and the BB ring wrench cost only $2 at Taobao.

The BB ring wrench worked okay, though. but it is soft. it wont last forever, but okay for gentle home use.
In my experience there is no such thing as gentle home use.