Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Threadless headset removal.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 06:53 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts

I've been wrenching threaded headsets mostly and threadless headsets don't look too awfully difficult but I haven't seen any videos to explain this.
I pulled the bars and unclamped the stem but the bearing cups won't unscrew cause the tube is larger at the top. It obviously won't push down so how do I get to the bearings to service them. You may think I'm nuts but here are the pictures. What in the wide world of sports do I do now?

Old 02-14-20, 07:04 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
That's a threaded headset with a threadless adaptor in it rather than a normal quill stem
Old 02-14-20, 07:05 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
That's a threaded headset with a threadless adaptor in it rather than a normal quill stem
I was wondering what the hell that was. If it works like a quill,does op just need to give it a wack to pop the wedge loose?
Old 02-14-20, 07:08 PM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by dedhed
OK. I get that. How do you get it apart, short of a hacksaw??
Old 02-14-20, 07:11 PM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by DOS
I was wondering what the hell that was. If it works like a quill,does op just need to give it a wack to pop the wedge loose?
What wedge? There's no bolt to jam the wedge.
Old 02-14-20, 07:13 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Without being able to see below the star nut, I'd suspect an allan wrench in the middle of the star nut, or remove the star nut to get at the allan holding the wedge.
Old 02-14-20, 07:18 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Was there a brand name on the cap?
Old 02-14-20, 07:24 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,310 Posts
Likely the wedge bolt is inside the steerer extension. The necking down section makes a nice seat for a pressure washer that the bolt head sits on. Like Zoom stems from the early 1990s and a currently made steerer extension (forgot the brand). Likely also takes a 4 or 5mm hex wrench. Can you look inside the steerer past both the star not at the top and the crown at the bottom and tell us what you see? Andy
Old 02-14-20, 07:34 PM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Likely the wedge bolt is inside the steerer extension. The necking down section makes a nice seat for a pressure washer that the bolt head sits on. Like Zoom stems from the early 1990s and a currently made steerer extension (forgot the brand). Likely also takes a 4 or 5mm hex wrench. Can you look inside the steerer past both the star not at the top and the crown at the bottom and tell us what you see? Andy
Sorry. I got a feeling your right. I think there's a wedge in there but Allen wrenches small enough to get past the star don't seem to grab anything. Getting the star out seems my only option.
Old 02-14-20, 07:44 PM
DOS

Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
What wedge? There's no bolt to jam the wedge.
I was assuming the missing top cap bolt also engaged the wedge. Where is that bolt and how long is it? In any event, hit the thing with a mallet and see if it comes loose.
Old 02-14-20, 07:47 PM
Cycle Tourist

Can't see anything past the star. Maybe the wedge was tightened then the star out in. I guess drilling out the star is my best option.
Old 02-14-20, 07:58 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Some steerer extensions have a wedge draw bolt that has a threaded hole running through it. (Typically a M6 bolt using a 6mm hex fitting and a M5 hole for the Cap draw bolt). I suppose that this feature might have been either damaged or not discovered so the installer installed a star nut instead. Andy
Old 02-14-20, 07:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Can't see anything past the star. Maybe the wedge was tightened then the star out in. I guess drilling out the star is my best option.

One can usually just pry the star nut out with screwdrivers and needle nose pliers. Andy
Old 02-14-20, 08:06 PM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by DOS
I was assuming the missing top cap bolt also engaged the wedge. Where is that bolt and how long is it? In any event, hit the thing with a mallet and see if it comes loose.
Gotcha. No, the 3T cap has a short bolt. It wouldn't reach a wedge. I can see a shinny bolt end presumably screwed into a wedge from the bottom side. My best bet I think is drilling out the star to get to the bolt and then replacing the star. I've put the thing away for tonight. Thanks guys. At least I have a clue now.🙄
Old 02-14-20, 08:08 PM
Cycle Tourist

One can usually just pry the star nut out with screwdrivers and needle nose pliers. Andy
Thanks. I'll try that first before getting out the drill.
Old 02-15-20, 09:52 AM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
I can’t imagine what the starnut is for with that setup- the bearings are loaded independent of the adaptor. Thankfully the starnut isn’t set very deep, so should be fairly easy to remove.
Old 02-15-20, 10:13 AM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by frankenmike
I can’t imagine what the starnut is for with that setup- the bearings are loaded independent of the adaptor. Thankfully the starnut isn’t set very deep, so should be fairly easy to remove.
The star is used to attach the cap only. Well, that and effectively block my ability to access the bolt that presumably tensions the wedge in the steerer tube. I'll be sure of that once I have breakfast and "have a go" at getting the star out.☕
Old 02-15-20, 10:30 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Before drilling or prying, check with Robbie Tunes on the C&V forum. He's used various conversions for putting threadless on quill stem bikes. Ditto RJ the Bike Guy on YouTube.
Old 02-15-20, 01:00 PM
Cycle Tourist

Some steerer extensions have a wedge draw bolt that has a threaded hole running through it. (Typically a M6 bolt using a 6mm hex fitting and a M5 hole for the Cap draw bolt). I suppose that this feature might have been either damaged or not discovered so the installer installed a star nut instead. Andy
Thanks Andy and company. I had to drill out the center of the star, pried out the butterflies and expose the bolt head. The wedge was easily loosened and everything came out.
The bearings were totally shot with is probably why I got the Allez so cheap.
Anyway, with a new headset and star this episode is closed and I'm smarter than I was yesterday. You guy are the best.
Old 02-15-20, 01:25 PM
DOS

Thanks Andy and company. I had to drill out the center of the star, pried out the butterflies and expose the bolt head. The wedge was easily loosened and everything came out.
The bearings were totally shot with is probably why I got the Allez so cheap.
Anyway, with a new headset and star this episode is closed and I'm smarter than I was yesterday. You guy are the best.
I might have been inclined to get a quill stem and go back to using the threaded headset as designed.