Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shifting skips a gear

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shifting skips a gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-20, 07:04 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Shifting skips a gear

I have an old school 9 speed Dura-ace set up works great but will not shift into my 2nd largest gear on rear cassette. I cannot figure out the issue and wondering out loud if the shifter mech is somehow faulty or rear der itself or is it a cable issue?? curious if there is a simple answer to the problem. all other shifts work great,
Old 02-17-20, 07:53 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Have you had the derailleur hanger alignment checked?
Old 02-17-20, 08:18 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
One thing I think of is a cable snag that corresponds with that problematic gear. Frayed cables can have specific points of halting movement. Andy
Old 02-18-20, 05:37 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
One thing I think of is a cable snag that corresponds with that problematic gear. Frayed cables can have specific points of halting movement. Andy
all cables are new.
Old 02-18-20, 05:38 AM
thehammerdog

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Have you had the derailleur hanger alignment checked?
i havd not checked that. all other gears work well.
Old 02-18-20, 05:45 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Did it function correctly before the new cables?
A burr on the housing or in a connecting ferrule may be a cause.

Did you rebuild or take the cassette apart ? A cog on backwards or not correctly oriented would be a source of this as well.

BTW, never thought of 9 speed as "old school", but I guess it getting to be that.
Old 02-18-20, 09:58 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
So as the brake/shift lever (the big front one) is pushed enough times to bring the chain up to the 3rd biggest rear cog. The lever is pushed more and there's no "click" holding it in place when the chain is fully on the 2nd big cog. Release the lever and the chain drops back down to the 3rd cog. Push the lever further then what 2nd might be and 1st can be engaged and held in place??? The most obvious thing to think of is what is restricted only to that 2nd cog position within the shift pod. The ratchet pawl and the related tooth. Now these levers are well known for getting gummy lube over the years. A solvent cleaning and relubing can often bring funky lever function back to agreeable function. The lube that the pawls use on their little pivot shafts is often the first to start to freeze up. This is the next thing after cable possibilities to check out. I probably should have mentioned this in my earlier post but thei gumming up issue is so well known...

There are dozens of on line vids as to what others have done to refresh their levers. Mere spray lube into the shift pods does a short term fix and sometimes if done once a year the levers won't need more. But I like to remove the lever/pod sub assembly from the lever body and then soak/flush in solvent a bunch, dry with warmth/compressed air. Relube with first a light weight oil then finish with a thick oil, assisted with compressed air. Reattach to the lever body, run cables and readjust the brakes and gears. Andy
Old 02-18-20, 01:41 PM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Dumb question (Only because I got skunked on this one before)

Are the shifters definitely 9 speed? Or do you have an 8 or 10 speed shifter?

Other causes point to a cable being a tad too loose, derailleur hanger alignment issue, or a broken tooth in the shifter.

Also, is everything Dura Ace? (Derailleur, shifter, cassette, chain). Dura Ace doesn't always play nicely when it comes to mix and match components.
Old 02-18-20, 02:46 PM
thehammerdog

Originally Posted by kingsting
Dumb question (Only because I got skunked on this one before)

Are the shifters definitely 9 speed? Or do you have an 8 or 10 speed shifter?

Other causes point to a cable being a tad too loose, derailleur hanger alignment issue, or a broken tooth in the shifter.

Also, is everything Dura Ace? (Derailleur, shifter, cassette, chain). Dura Ace doesn't always play nicely when it comes to mix and match components.
9 fo sho
all dura ace groupo..from a Lemond 853 steel beauty.
i think the gummy cleaning is my next move.
Old 02-18-20, 03:09 PM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
9 fo sho
all dura ace groupo..from a Lemond 853 steel beauty.
i think the gummy cleaning is my next move.
Everybody here has their favorite magic gummy cleaner for Shimano shifters and I'm sure they'll chime in.

I've had good luck with silicone spray.
Old 02-18-20, 06:13 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
... will not shift into my 2nd largest gear on rear cassette. I cannot figure out the issue and wondering out loud if the shifter mech is somehow faulty...
You want a quick-fix but in this case it is best to start over at "zero" and set up the derailer from scratch. Disconnect the cable, pull off the housing and inspect both ends of each housing. Make sure the ends are clean-cut and square andfurrels are OK and pushed on well. Do NOT say "I checked them last month "what could be wrong. The plan today is to pull it al apart and check and reinstall everything all at once. It only takes about 30 minutes.

OK, so you cable and housing and ends are perfect.

Park Tool has a pair of videos showing ho to proceed from here. They start by setting the limit screw for the smallest cog and then just follow along.

My guess as to the problem
1. limit screw prevents movement
2. you are using the large chain wheel. Don't do that. The last rear cog goes with the smaller chain wheel. You chain might be to short or the derailer not have enough range for the worst case of "cross-chain"

That said, guessing at the problem and "trying stuff" is not as productive as pulling the cable off, backing out all three adjustment screws and starting over in a methodical way. The park tool video shows a good "cookbook" method. and a way to double-check each step.
Likes For ChrisAlbertson: