Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shaft drive thread (anyone else using?)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Shaft drive thread (anyone else using?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-18, 06:40 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
I like the idea of a shaft drive bike. I do have a question. Are you able to coast ? Is it a direct drive where you cannot coast? Just curious for those with more smarts than me.
Old 09-27-18, 07:33 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Now this, this is cool:

https://brikbikes.com/product/upgrad...shaft-upgrade/

I'd totally throw down the extra 30 Euros.
Old 09-27-18, 08:32 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
... As far as materials technology advances leading to greater efficiencies and easier maintenance, there's no reason in principle that won't apply to chain-drive as well--chains may look very different in 20 years.

Yeah chains will improve. But perhaps another %. Shafts have room to go a long ways. Chains have had the advantage of 100 times the research, development, on the road and in race testing. 1,000 times might be closer.

Minor fact. Around 1900, one of the standing world records was set on a shaft drive bike. (Research Major Taylor.) That bike also won races. Weight and efficiency didn't seem to slow it down all that much. Had that approach seen the 118 years of development, the research efforts and money of SunTour, Shimano, Campagnolo and SRAM, shaft drives now would make the OP's look like an early effort.

Ben
Old 09-27-18, 08:35 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by Baldy1953
I like the idea of a shaft drive bike. I do have a question. Are you able to coast ? Is it a direct drive where you cannot coast? Just curious for those with more smarts than me.
If it were direct drive, cool! (Fix gear rider here.) No more dropped chains locking the rear wheel and that slow stop taking all the tread off the tire (and usually a lot of the casing plus usually bending a link or two and scraping the chainstay).

Ben
Old 09-28-18, 12:34 AM
tsiklonaut
Shaft roller

Bikes: Brik Brut, Dynamic Tempo 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
Also, the straight-line chain doesn't incur wear from bending sideways or having its sideplates grinding against the sides of cogs and chainwheels and derailleur gates. Altogether, I'm really surprised anybody's making shaft-drive bikes at all.
Thanks for the very good insight! Didn't know about the sideways grinding and bending and how useless the shaft drive is. Let alone bicycle manufacturers, those motorcycle/moped manufacturers making shaft drives by choice must be really unintelligent folk after reading your and others in-depth analysis on the matter here and now I'm surprised they make shaft drives at all too.

I get the message now. I started the thread hoping to find any other fellow shaft drive bicyclist to know how they like theirs, but looks like I'm the only idiot in town and in fact I am such an idiot to start this kind of thread here that turned out to be shaft drive loathing festival, how everything is wrong about it. Didn't expect how knowledgeable some people are already knowing how bad the shaft drives are without ever trying one personally.

I propose admin to delete this thread all together to save the precious BikeForums space and users time on reading the cluttered irrelevant info about some useless alternative drivetrain, there're much more important topics to discuss than this. I'm really sorry about starting this thread. I'll delete my own post so at least BikeForum people can read what the majority of people here think about shaft drives and to give a warning for any future shaft drive user ("STAY AWAY!", I'm sure as most would agree here)

Last edited by tsiklonaut; 09-28-18 at 03:27 AM.
Old 09-28-18, 03:04 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by tsiklonaut
Thanks for the very good insight! Didn't know about the sideways grinding and bending and how useless the shaft drive is.
Oh ffs, read twice before posting.

I appreciate the OP's enthusiasm, and the bikes look really nice, but I really can't see shaft drives having any advantage over good chain drives in similarly-purposed bikes using IGH.
Also, the straight-line chain doesn't incur wear from bending sideways or having its sideplates grinding against the sides of cogs and chainwheels and derailleur gates.
^ That is obviously meant to point out the advantage of chain-driven IGH over traditional derailleur gears, not shaft drive.

On topic: I would definitely want to try a shaft driven bike, but I don't think I would want to go far out of my way for it, as I don't find chain drive to be much hassle.
Old 09-28-18, 04:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Thanks for the very good insight! Didn't know about the sideways grinding and bending and how useless the shaft drive is. Let alone bicycle manufacturers, those motorcycle/moped manufacturers making shaft drives by choice must be really unintelligent folk after reading your and others in-depth analysis on the matter here and now I'm surprised they make shaft drives at all too.

I get the message now. I started the thread hoping to find any other fellow shaft drive bicyclist to know how they like theirs, but looks like I'm the only idiot in town and in fact I am such an idiot to start this kind of thread here that turned out to be shaft drive loathing festival, how everything is wrong about it. Didn't expect how knowledgeable some people are already knowing how bad the shaft drives are without ever trying one personally.

I propose admin to delete this thread all together to save the precious BikeForums space and users time on reading the cluttered irrelevant info about some useless alternative drivetrain, there're much more important topics to discuss than this. I'm really sorry about starting this thread. I'll delete my own post so at least BikeForum people can read what the majority of people here think about shaft drives and to give a warning for any future shaft drive user ("STAY AWAY!", I'm sure as most would agree here)
That's a ridiculous overreaction, and deleting the op was dumb. You're offering a lot of good info, and people are offering their opinion about it. It's a dialogue, not a war.

Put your op back, this is a good discussion. You were doing a good job of explaining why the technology should be tried until you threw this tantrum.
Old 09-28-18, 05:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Yeah chains will improve. But perhaps another %. Shafts have room to go a long ways. Chains have had the advantage of 100 times the research, development, on the road and in race testing. 1,000 times might be closer.

Minor fact. Around 1900, one of the standing world records was set on a shaft drive bike. (Research Major Taylor.) That bike also won races. Weight and efficiency didn't seem to slow it down all that much. Had that approach seen the 118 years of development, the research efforts and money of SunTour, Shimano, Campagnolo and SRAM, shaft drives now would make the OP's look like an early effort.

Ben
Like I said, I'm rooting for shaft drive to develop because even if the improvements hit a dead end eventually, it's better to have competition between technologies or things can get stagnant. I agree that there is a lot less room for chain drive to improve in terms of efficiency but that's because of the very high level of efficiency that's already been achieved. Where materials will change things for chains is in terms of durability and ease of maintenance. We're starting to see this with belt drives on some commuter bikes where ease of use may be a bigger consideration than efficiency. No way of knowing whether someone will soon develop a "maintenance free" chain or belt with really high efficiency, just as there is no way to predict when or if someone will develop a method of producing efficient cheap shaft drives. We really aren't disagreeing here, progress requires open minds.
Old 09-28-18, 05:18 AM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This looks intriguing...

Old 09-28-18, 06:41 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Please don't leave the thread and give up on us. I found your post interesting enough that I went to the websites for the remaining two brands and perused every one of their shaft-drive models. I get why one might want a shaft drive, and it's interesting to me that some are still being made.
Old 09-28-18, 08:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Please don't leave the thread and give up on us. I found your post interesting enough that I went to the websites for the remaining two brands and perused every one of their shaft-drive models. I get why one might want a shaft drive, and it's interesting to me that some are still being made.

I'm frustrated that he took down all the good info he had posted. He was handling all of the "it will ever work" objections so well, I know I was learning about stuff I had no idea existed.
Old 09-28-18, 10:07 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Ugh, I'm disappointed he left the thread as well. It was one of the better ones around here.

I have found that any thread here that exceeds one page is not worth opening - it seems there is no effort to remain on topic. It's the culture here, I get that and I understand it won't change.

The OP is obviously a highly intelligent individual with a substantial skill set and good communication skills with a couple of shaft drive bikes. I really did like his photography as well.
Old 09-28-18, 10:27 AM
79pmooney

Like I said, I'm rooting for shaft drive to develop because even if the improvements hit a dead end eventually, it's better to have competition between technologies or things can get stagnant. I agree that there is a lot less room for chain drive to improve in terms of efficiency but that's because of the very high level of efficiency that's already been achieved. Where materials will change things for chains is in terms of durability and ease of maintenance. We're starting to see this with belt drives on some commuter bikes where ease of use may be a bigger consideration than efficiency. No way of knowing whether someone will soon develop a "maintenance free" chain or belt with really high efficiency, just as there is no way to predict when or if someone will develop a method of producing efficient cheap shaft drives. We really aren't disagreeing here, progress requires open minds.
When I said that shaft drives have a long ways to go, I was in no way trying to imply they "aren't there yet". I was trying to say that they are at the German V-2 rocket stage. Way in advance of the Chinese fireworks that started it all but a long ways from the modern rocket. The chain is a very sophisticated ladder to the moon. With a few more years, dollars and minds sunk into shaft drives, mankind will have another good option. (In bike terms - perhaps a shaft could be developed where the spiral gears at the BB could be changed out to a different ratio. I am one who considers gear ratios to be very important, I change gears on one of my fix gears almost every time I ride and re-arrange the cluster on my good bike often. A system where it is locked in doesn't attract me. (It was an issue for Major Taylor also.)

Every shaft drive out there raises the learning another notch. All good.

Ben
Old 09-28-18, 10:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
When I said that shaft drives have a long ways to go, I was in no way trying to imply they "aren't there yet". I was trying to say that they are at the German V-2 rocket stage. Way in advance of the Chinese fireworks that started it all but a long ways from the modern rocket. The chain is a very sophisticated ladder to the moon. With a few more years, dollars and minds sunk into shaft drives, mankind will have another good option. (In bike terms - perhaps a shaft could be developed where the spiral gears at the BB could be changed out to a different ratio. I am one who considers gear ratios to be very important, I change gears on one of my fix gears almost every time I ride and re-arrange the cluster on my good bike often. A system where it is locked in doesn't attract me. (It was an issue for Major Taylor also.)

Every shaft drive out there raises the learning another notch. All good.

Ben

I don't think we're disagreeing--I understood you meant that shaft drive probably has more room for improvement because chains have already been researched and developed to such a high degree. Frankly, though, I don't know if shaft drives are at the V2 stage of technology or the Hindenburg stage--it could be a technological dead end. The only way to find out is to throw some resources at it and see if it becomes useful and cheap enough to have some mass consumer appeal. It clearly is not there yet. I don't pretend to know if it can ever get there, but I'm glad someone is out there trying.
Old 09-28-18, 11:19 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Frankly, though, I don't know if shaft drives are at the V2 stage of technology or the Hindenburg stage--it could be a technological dead end.
Rigid airships are back! maybe... COMPANY - Aeros
Old 09-28-18, 01:07 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by clengman
Rigid airships are back! maybe... COMPANY - Aeros

Every few years, someone claims they're about to do this, but basically, it's a balloon, and liable to get blown around.
Old 09-28-18, 01:24 PM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Every few years, someone claims they're about to do this, but basically, it's a balloon, and liable to get blown around.
Yeah. From what I have read, that's the big problem to overcome. I think the idea is that as they get bigger, wind is less of an issue. They say the next model they're working on is designed to be stable in winds up to 40 knots... which still sounds like it could be a problem, but they have plans to go bigger still. There seem to still be investors interested in the idea. I wouldn't call it dead yet.
Old 09-28-18, 01:25 PM
79pmooney

I don't think we're disagreeing--I understood you meant that shaft drive probably has more room for improvement because chains have already been researched and developed to such a high degree. Frankly, though, I don't know if shaft drives are at the V2 stage of technology or the Hindenburg stage--it could be a technological dead end. The only way to find out is to throw some resources at it and see if it becomes useful and cheap enough to have some mass consumer appeal. It clearly is not there yet. I don't pretend to know if it can ever get there, but I'm glad someone is out there trying.
It isn't just cheap that has to be addressed, It's perception. Hydraulic disks aren't cheap, require an entire reworking of frame and fork, mechanic education, etc, but with the marketing and engineers of the "big boys' behind them, they have flourished. Half that energy wold go a long ways. A highly advertised Trek shaft drive would start a big change.

Ben
Old 09-29-18, 07:00 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 410 Posts
Shaft drive bicycles have been sold in Japan for decades. They aren't all that common because they add a little to the price of the bike. Buyers are usually short-distance commuters who ride in dresses or suits, and don't want to get chain oil on their clothes.
Old 09-29-18, 07:59 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,057 Posts
Major Taylor set track racing records on a shaft drive Orient bike 120 years ago. Woodrow Willson toured England on a Columbia shaft drive bike in 1899.

More recently, the first rent-a-bikes in town were shaft drive.

They were replaced in a few months with chain drive bikes.