Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXIV

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXIV

Old 05-19-19, 11:09 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Well, dress me up and call me Suzie; GP4Ks really are faster than 4Ss! They're only the third set of tires I've had on the road bike after starting to ride it again in 2014.

Also, one has to pick one's line more carefully with 23 mm tires than 25s. Imagine that! The feel is a little like $18 tubulars, back in the day, but not quite as good.

I wonder what it's like to ride a bike that weighs less than 22 lbs.
Tires make a huge difference. Lightweight not so much. Trust me, Suzie.
Old 05-19-19, 11:16 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

On the subject of lightweight, I was riding my 24 pound custom steel bike for many years until I got my Habanero. The Hananero is no weight weenie bike but at approx 18.x pounds it’s at least 5 pounds lighter than what I was used to. My first time riding it I thought it felt faster, but after I rode with my friends I realized it was 95% placebo effect.
Old 05-19-19, 11:42 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
On the subject of lightweight, I was riding my 24 pound custom steel bike for many years until I got my Habanero. The Hananero is no weight weenie bike but at approx 18.x pounds it’s at least 5 pounds lighter than what I was used to. My first time riding it I thought it felt faster, but after I rode with my friends I realized it was 95% placebo effect.
I think that people conflate feeling more nimble with feeling faster - there is a distinction. IMO/E, lighter bikes feel different in how they move around underneath you - much easier transitions from one side to the other, like when you're out of the saddle. I wish that I could say that that difference translates to something meaningful on the clock, but I don't think that it does (not for the kind of riding I do, anyway). Light bikes are absolutely more fun, I think, and that's worth something.
Old 05-19-19, 11:56 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I think that people conflate feeling more nimble with feeling faster - there is a distinction. IMO/E, lighter bikes feel different in how they move around underneath you - much easier transitions from one side to the other, like when you're out of the saddle. I wish that I could say that that difference translates to something meaningful on the clock, but I don't think that it does (not for the kind of riding I do, anyway). Light bikes are absolutely more fun, I think, and that's worth something.
As they used to say on "The Hollywood Squares," I'll agree.
Old 05-19-19, 12:05 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
This just in, "Tour de France Riders To Return to 35 lb Bikes in 2019".

Old 05-19-19, 12:48 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Tires make a huge difference. Lightweight not so much. Trust me, Suzie.
I trust you! Beside, I wouldn’t trade my scrawny and efficient, body for a lighter bike. That probably mitigates the bike weight issue and certainly comes in handy for other activities.

Still might be fun to try...
Old 05-19-19, 01:33 PM
WhyFi

I have been looking at Japanese chef's knives again. Bad news for the bike crap budget.
Old 05-19-19, 01:37 PM
MoAlpha
• —

I have been looking at Japanese chef's knives again. Bad news for the bike crap budget.
Link?

I know nothing about them, but my brother had me pick up a set for him on a trip to Kyoto, some years back. The house had been in business since the 18th century and I had a nice cup of tea and broken conversation with the proprietor.
Old 05-19-19, 01:53 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts
I trust you! Beside, I wouldn’t trade my scrawny and efficient, body for a lighter bike. That probably mitigates the bike weight issue and certainly comes in handy for other activities.

It's real, and it's spectacular. I love my light bike.
Old 05-19-19, 01:54 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts

Earlier today while I was out riding, we were having 25 mph sustained winds with gusts. I picked a sheltered urban route which uses a portion of MUP. I'm riding along and the trail breaks out into the wide open, corn/bean field to the left for eternity and it's always a wind tunnel there even on a regular day. There was a smallish woman on a road bike ahead of me and one second she's riding about 18" off of the edge of the trail and next thing I know, she's picked up and moved 4' off in the grass. She didn't fall down but she had a dazed look on her face when I went by.

Old 05-19-19, 02:13 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by LAJ
It's real, and it's spectacular. I love my light bike.
I trust @datlas. You, I believe.

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Earlier today while I was out riding, we were having 25 mph sustained winds with gusts. I picked a sheltered urban route which uses a portion of MUP. I'm riding along and the trail breaks out into the wide open, corn/bean field to the left for eternity and it's always a wind tunnel there even on a regular day. There was a smallish woman on a road bike ahead of me and one second she's riding about 18" off of the edge of the trail and next thing I know, she's picked up and moved 4' off in the grass. She didn't fall down but she had a dazed look on her face when I went by.
Yeah, that’s happened to me. There’s a place on campus with a huge vortex anytime the wind is near E or W. I’ve been blown into the other lane. Light bike won’t help that.
Old 05-19-19, 03:27 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

So I did some research and found out that my state considers a car "classic" if it's >15 years old and "antique" if >25. So the Saturn is well into classic and only 4 years away from an antique.

I noticed that the fan blower was getting weak and noisy so I had to take the fan out and remove some accumulated debris that was causing the problem. The guys at the Saturn Forums are very helpful. They are SERIOUS Saturn drivers. Very.
Old 05-19-19, 03:29 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I'll tell you next weekend, MoAlpha. I have an old Merlin CF road bike that I have yet to ride since leaving hospital, but it is lighter than all the other bikes I have and thinner tyres (28, IIRC). The tyres really do make a difference. The bikes I have ridden most recently have bigger ones with treads (to do with touring along and making them "safe" to ride in my current medical recoveries), but I did my old Fuji Touring yesterday that currently has Schwable smooth non-touring tyres and the less effort to keep up speed over quite a short distance was almost magic.

And the GP4Ks in 25mm were something I have used a lot in randonnees after I found the Schwalbe not be to so... hmmmm... reliable or comfortable. Not that I am as fast as any of your guys, but after 30 hours straight of riding, feeling good at making the effort is still a good thing in randonnees.
Old 05-19-19, 03:43 PM
WhyFi

Link?

I know nothing about them, but my brother had me pick up a set for him on a trip to Kyoto, some years back. The house had been in business since the 18th century and I had a nice cup of tea and broken conversation with the proprietor.
I'm still undecided on what I'm going to get at this point, but I'm thinking that I'll be buying something from a single blacksmith, as opposed to a one from a larger knife companies. One of the front-runners is Yu Kurosaki, a younger, up-and-coming guy. As you can imagine, crafts are dying out in Japan, too, so having something attributable to one person (more or less) and supporting the continuation of the art is appealing to me. And really, the prices aren't crazy for what they are.

I like the more rustic, black finish (kurouchi) on this one -

...but I like the more flashy hammered finish on this one, too -

Old 05-19-19, 03:53 PM
MoAlpha
• —

So I did some research and found out that my state considers a car "classic" if it's >15 years old and "antique" if >25. So the Saturn is well into classic and only 4 years away from an antique.

I noticed that the fan blower was getting weak and noisy so I had to take the fan out and remove some accumulated debris that was causing the problem. The guys at the Saturn Forums are very helpful. They are SERIOUS Saturn drivers. Very.
I love seeing “Classic” license tags on some bald-tired ****ter blowing oil smoke.
Old 05-19-19, 04:05 PM
MoAlpha
• —

I'm still undecided on what I'm going to get at this point, but I'm thinking that I'll be buying something from a single blacksmith, as opposed to a one from a larger knife companies. One of the front-runners is Yu Kurosaki, a younger, up-and-coming guy. As you can imagine, crafts are dying out in Japan, too, so having something attributable to one person (more or less) and supporting the continuation of the art is appealing to me. And really, the prices aren't crazy for what they are.

I like the more rustic, black finish (kurouchi) on this one -

...but I like the more flashy hammered finish on this one, too -

Both beautiful, useful, and something you can pass on to a kid. I am sorry the craft is dying out in Japan. It always struck me as a place where culture was valued and integrated from top to bottom in society.

I just remembered I bought a knife, a "deba kiri," from that guy and he stamped the characters for my name on it. You can put a surgical edge on it with a little effort, but I wish I had the skills to use it to its potential.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 05-19-19 at 04:10 PM.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 05-19-19, 04:10 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Rowan
I'll tell you next weekend, MoAlpha. I have an old Merlin CF road bike that I have yet to ride since leaving hospital, but it is lighter than all the other bikes I have and thinner tyres (28, IIRC). The tyres really do make a difference. The bikes I have ridden most recently have bigger ones with treads (to do with touring along and making them "safe" to ride in my current medical recoveries), but I did my old Fuji Touring yesterday that currently has Schwable smooth non-touring tyres and the less effort to keep up speed over quite a short distance was almost magic.

And the GP4Ks in 25mm were something I have used a lot in randonnees after I found the Schwalbe not be to so... hmmmm... reliable or comfortable. Not that I am as fast as any of your guys, but after 30 hours straight of riding, feeling good at making the effort is still a good thing in randonnees.
Enjoy it, Rowan.

And I do not consider myself fast.
Old 05-19-19, 04:29 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Enjoy it, Rowan.

And I do not consider myself fast.
But do you consider yourself a serious cyclist??
Old 05-19-19, 04:31 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Both beautiful, useful, and something you can pass on to a kid. I am sorry the craft is dying out in Japan. It always struck me as a place where culture was valued and integrated from top to bottom in society.

I just remembered I bought a knife, a "deba kiri," from that guy and he stamped the characters for my name on it. You can put a surgical edge on it with a little effort, but I wish I had the skills to use it to its potential.

Me being silly again, but that goes close to BillyD bird picture for effectiveness. It's a wonderful, basic looking knife and the marks on it add another factor.

I read the other day that the Japanese, as a country, are in a major spot of bother because they don't have the generation to take over from the parents or grand-parents with a lot of the crafts and businesses. I think difficulties started to become a little evident when the country's industries started to seek out cheap labour in the rest of Asia to continue production, so the young generations could concentrate on IT and such like. Oddly, Shimano was one of them, with more than one or two factories set up in other countries where labour was comparatively cheap..
Old 05-19-19, 04:35 PM
MoAlpha
• —

But do you consider yourself a serious cyclist??
Oh, hell yes!
Old 05-19-19, 05:07 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 386 Posts
Just buy a ss/fg bike. no problem then with blowing the bike budget on another knife.
Old 05-19-19, 05:40 PM
WhyFi

Nice. A deba is one of the traditional, one-sided knives; very acute cutting angle and good steel means crazy sharpness. I have a similar slicer, yanagiba - long and thin, but it's more of a specialty blade and it doesn't see a ton of use. Sad!

In terms of Japanese culture, yeah, it's a bit of a shame. I think that you see some of the traditional values, but some of the crafts are going away. This reminds me - I watched a video last night on a Japanese sushi chef in NYC. Totally fascinating (to me) to see his methods and ethic. Aspirational.

Old 05-19-19, 05:41 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by gnome
Just buy a ss/fg bike. no problem then with blowing the bike budget on another knife.
Easier to sneak a knife in the drawer than a bike in the garage.
Old 05-19-19, 05:45 PM
WhyFi

Hey - I just realized that we finally get to wrap up this Game of Thrones train-wreck tonight. Yay.
Old 05-19-19, 06:33 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13642 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts
I have a one-speed commuter/utility/rain bike. It has a flip-flop hub, one side freewheel and one side is fixed. I have always used the freewheel. I know I should try fixed but I am to ascared.
I have not desire to ride fixed and no guilt about not wanting to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.