Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Kickstand?

Old 07-01-19, 01:05 PM
wobrien

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Who would have thought that Kickstands would have created such an active thread????

I have enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing ideas and pics for both not having a kickstand and for kickstand options. Both have been very helpful to me.
Old 07-01-19, 01:23 PM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
I understand the issues involved with kickstands on bikes set up for touring with panniers or for trail use on mountain bikes. But I have two hybrid bikes, both equipped with racks and rack bags, and I have a combined 3,000 miles on them and neither has ever fallen from the kickstand even ONCE. I use them every time I ride, including every water break or stop I make, which is usually at least one per ride, or sometimes as many as three or more quick breaks if I'm doing a 20+ mile ride.

Yes, there are times that it takes me an extra 5-to-15 seconds for some kind of quick adjustment if I'm not on level ground, or for some other contingency. I'm guessing that if I weren't willing to adjust the orientation of the bike to the terrain or the specific situation (there goes THAT 10 seconds I'll never get back again! darn!) that I would have probably experienced some falls from the kickstand... also, I don't ride trails or with panniers, so there's that to consider.

I do usually have 2-3 water bottles (1 or 2 in bottle holders) and probably an average of 1 to 4 pounds of stuff in the rack bag, depending on situation and length of ride: extra water bottle, lock or locks/cable, patch kit, keys, spare tail light, spare head light, cell phone, etc.

To each their own. Whatever works for you. Kickstands work for me, big time. YMMV.
Likes For Rje58:
Old 07-01-19, 01:25 PM
SuperRecord

Bikes: Giant ARX2...

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, stands are handy in some riding situations. Though they do give a false sense of proper bike etiquette, that is easily challenged by a strong wind or rogue passerby.

For the kind of riding I do, I dn't have a great need for one. I usually rest it against some immovable object. You could carry a soft towel or shop rag to rest between the ground and the bike in some out of the way spot. Perfect to have for when you change a flat or perform some other roadside maintenance.
Old 07-01-19, 01:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
Get and use kickstands, don't be a "purist" (snob)! Next you will be shaving (if you are male) your legs!
I shave my legs, and I don't use a kickstand. I take blood thinners, so any help I can get in the event of a fall is appreciated. And I have enough weight to tote already. Makes me smart, not a snob.

Old 07-01-19, 01:32 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by wobrien
Who would have thought that Kickstands would have created such an active thread????
You must be new around here.

Have you experienced your first waving thread yet?
Old 07-01-19, 01:36 PM
wobrien

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 8

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You must be new around here.

Have you experienced your first waving thread yet?
I am new around here and I have not experienced my first waving thread - so I guess I have that to look forward to.

This seems like a really good group.
Likes For wobrien:
Old 07-01-19, 02:02 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I have a similar issue as the OP but for a different reason; my vintage steel mtb. doesn't have a plate, so the standard Greenfield kickstand doesn't fit. I like my kickstands; I've always had them, and they've never been a problem. If the ground won't allow for the stand, I can lean it on something. Having to always find something to lean my Princess on is proving problematic, and no, I won't lay her on the ground, I like her bits as they are. Also, my mirror sticks out too far. I've thought about a chainstay mounted one, but the husbeast is concerned about possibly crushing the stay. He's a worrier.

Any ideas, kickstand fans?
Likes For Korina:
Old 07-01-19, 02:05 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
I've thought about a chainstay mounted one, but the husbeast is concerned about possibly crushing the stay. He's a worrier.
Youch! Perhaps I are one.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 07-01-19, 02:09 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

There's always this one.

Old 07-01-19, 03:16 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
You don't need a kickstand. Just lean your bike against a wall or a tree or a post or lay it on the ground.
I agree. There's always something. I've seen too much damage caused by them. I had one on a touring bike that needed a brace brased across the two bottom tubes anyway but I avoid them.
Old 07-01-19, 03:31 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by wobrien

I have enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing ideas and pics for both not having a kickstand and for kickstand options. Both have been very helpful to me.
We got 15 pages out of valve stem caps last year. I'm proud to have participated.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...cool-what.html
Likes For ksryder:
Old 07-01-19, 09:27 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Hi,
Many years ago I was at a bike shop when the topic of kickstands came up.
One of the guys said (basically) "Keep your money, just get a heavy elastic band like they wrap veges in and put it on the bar.
When you want to park, just put it around the brake lever.
Whichever wheel you lock will not budge. You can lean it against a lamp post or touching a wall and it will not move. For the real trump card put one on each bar." If it isn't strong enough wrap a single wrap around the bar to shorten it or double it around the brake handle.

It is amazing simple cheap and uber light and won't damage the bike paint job. I thought he was joking but it is awesome!!!!
Old 07-01-19, 09:35 PM
alanf

The other thing is that in my garage I do some woodworking and the bike gets in the way.
Also it is visible to thieves, so I went to a hardware store and bought two large rubber coated hooks, screwed them into the ceiling rafters and just throw my bike up and hook the wheels on the hooks.
It's partially hidden from passerbys because it is up out of view and a bit difficult for someone to just grab, so it is a bit safer. My neighbourhood is pretty safe anyways. Very cheap answer.

I have seen some setups where the person put one heavy coated hook on the wall and then puts the front wheel on it. Not sure how that works out but it would save some space.
Old 07-01-19, 10:24 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
So, what if you’re using the top of the rack for stuff?
Yeah, i notice they don't show it with the panniers on, full of stuff... no good for me.

But there's a similar type where just a rear section of the rack works like that, and that's probably the best stand design i've seen. Would be ugly without a rack to hide it against, though.
Old 07-02-19, 06:15 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by alanf
The other thing is that in my garage I do some woodworking and the bike gets in the way.
Also it is visible to thieves, so I went to a hardware store and bought two large rubber coated hooks, screwed them into the ceiling rafters and just throw my bike up and hook the wheels on the hooks.
It's partially hidden from passerbys because it is up out of view and a bit difficult for someone to just grab, so it is a bit safer. My neighbourhood is pretty safe anyways. Very cheap answer.

I have seen some setups where the person put one heavy coated hook on the wall and then puts the front wheel on it. Not sure how that works out but it would save some space.
Not that there's any wall space in my garage, or ceiling space for that matter, but a steel "closet bracket" is a convenient way to hang a bike from a wall. Put some innertube rubber over the hook.
Old 07-02-19, 08:28 AM
alanf

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Not that there's any wall space in my garage, or ceiling space for that matter, but a steel "closet bracket" is a convenient way to hang a bike from a wall. Put some innertube rubber over the hook.
Excellent idea as long as you put a hook on the end of it so the bike doesn't slide off.

Another thing I forgot to mention about my setup is that you do have to be a bit careful when taking the bike off my hooks because once I was in a bit of a rush and the spoke got hooked in the hook and broke the spoke fitting by twisting the spoke, and I spent awhile with no bike trying to fix it. I have 2000 vintage Mavic Cosmic rims which are somewhat aero and great wheels, but parts are a tad expensive, so I was in a pickle till someone suggested using a washer as a spoke fitting. worked perfect.

My ceiling is quite high so it makes a nice little stretch at the end of the ride to put the bike up. : )
Old 07-02-19, 08:57 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
My road bikes do not have a kickstand. What's the point of spending a bunch of money to make a bike light, and then adding unnecessary weight back on?

My winter commuter/utility bike does have a kickstand. For that bike, it's pretty handy.
Old 07-02-19, 09:14 AM
indyfabz

I've thought about a chainstay mounted one, but the husbeast is concerned about possibly crushing the stay. He's a worrier.
Did you ever see this?:

https://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spe..._haul_truckers
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-02-19, 09:21 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Excellent idea as long as you put a hook on the end of it so the bike doesn't slide off.

Another thing I forgot to mention about my setup is that you do have to be a bit careful when taking the bike off my hooks because once I was in a bit of a rush and the spoke got hooked in the hook and broke the spoke fitting by twisting the spoke, and I spent awhile with no bike trying to fix it. I have 2000 vintage Mavic Cosmic rims which are somewhat aero and great wheels, but parts are a tad expensive, so I was in a pickle till someone suggested using a washer as a spoke fitting. worked perfect.

My ceiling is quite high so it makes a nice little stretch at the end of the ride to put the bike up. : )
I never had a bike slide off a hook on the wall in 20+ years of hanging my bikes up this way. Nor have I ever damaged a wheel. I’ve had nearly 40 bikes that I’ve hung up this way and nearly twice that many front wheels.

I did lag bolt a 2x4 to the wall rather than use inserts into my cinder block wall. I have two 8’ long 2x4s lagged to the wall to accommodate all of my bikes. There are 4 and 5 bikes hanging on each one (mountain bike handlebars take up a lot of room). Here’s what it all looks like

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

I’ve never had a bike fall off the hooks nor damaged a bike in any way.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-02-19, 09:35 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
My first bike when I was ten had one- a three speed.

I remember the sound it made when being retracted.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 07-02-19, 09:38 AM
alanf

That's quite the collection cycommute. Are they all yours?
Old 07-02-19, 09:42 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
I have a similar issue as the OP but for a different reason; my vintage steel mtb. doesn't have a plate, so the standard Greenfield kickstand doesn't fit. I like my kickstands; I've always had them, and they've never been a problem. If the ground won't allow for the stand, I can lean it on something. Having to always find something to lean my Princess on is proving problematic, and no, I won't lay her on the ground, I like her bits as they are. Also, my mirror sticks out too far. I've thought about a chainstay mounted one, but the husbeast is concerned about possibly crushing the stay. He's a worrier.

Any ideas, kickstand fans?
And the sequel

https://surlybikes.com/parts/kickstand_plate
Likes For ColonelSanders:
Old 07-02-19, 09:47 AM
rfields

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found a way to reliably lean my bike against anything without it falling or sliding down the wall/window/telephone pole/etc. I have a strap of velcro that I set one of the brake levers with. With one wheel locked like that the bike won't roll forward/backward and fall.
Old 07-02-19, 12:10 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

No, I hadn't, thanks. The max I've ever put in my panniers (pan-yers) couldn't be much more than 20 lbs., so my circumstances are slightly different.

Or maybe I should just admit reality and live without a kickstand.
Old 07-02-19, 02:43 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
That's quite the collection cycommute. Are they all yours?
There are 9 in the picture (my wife is riding to work today). All but 2 of them are mine.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.