Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Are 26-in wheels not good for trikes?

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 06-24-19, 09:35 PM
curbowman

Bikes: Imremo (cheap taiwanese mtb) and vintage Jupiter King (Japanese '70s road bike)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

The guys at AZUB say 26" wheels are not as good as 20" ones for trikes because they are less rigid. I thought it was a far-fetched claim until I saw this video of the Atomic Zombie Delta Wolf.

Right at the 0:20 mark, the driver does a violent maneuver to avoid a puddle and it can be seen how the 26" wheels flex. I guess that's why the Hase Kettwiesel has its 20" rear wheels canted outwards: to minimize that flexing.

Now, those are 36-spoke wheels with a fair amount of dish. The hubs were custom made out of solid steel, so they are not feeble lightweight stuff!

AZUB claims they have solved the flex problem by using a thru-axle in their 26" equipped trikes, and Bryan Ball agrees. ( see his review of the AZUB Ti-Fly here: https://www.bentrideronline.com/?p=10880 )

My question is, how much of an issue wheel flex on a trike really is? And, what are the ways to increase wheel stiffness to these kind of forces which are not present on leaning bikes?
Old 06-25-19, 08:42 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
How long of an answer do you want?

Trikes are different than bikes because they don't lean in the corners. That puts side loads on the wheels that bicycle wheels don't have to contend with. Taller rims are going to have to contend with more side load stress than smaller ones, but I assume there are design adaptations to solve that.

That Atomic Zombie wheel assembly, by the way, is home made (including the hub) and relatively crude compared to a factory produced trike. I wouldn't use that example for a very significant part of my decision making process.
Old 06-25-19, 08:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Rear only, for the gearing , 20" for the 2 front wheels.. typical tadpole layout .. ?
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 06-25-19, 12:57 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
All else being equal, smaller wheels are stronger than larger wheels.
Old 06-25-19, 01:03 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I can think of better reasons than wheel strength. At the rear a big wheel is good, but at the front the axles are really high which also puts your hands higher and they’d run into you in a tight turn. And the front ride quality is less important than the rear. Your hands are resting lightly on the cantilevered tillers, but at the rear the seat stays are sending the rear wheel impact right through your shoulder blades into your neck.
Old 06-25-19, 07:02 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
As Darth Lefty says, larger wheels will intrude into the cockpit more in turns. So you compensate by making the stance wider, which increases frontal area. If you keep the rider low for stability in corners, a larger wheel might block vision in turns, too.
Old 06-26-19, 09:11 AM
Trikin'

Bikes: Catrike Trail/Catrike Expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

2013 Catrike Expedition

'09 Catrike Trail with 26" UtahTrikes conversion kit
I've been riding tadpole trikes for 15 years....1st 3 yrs of my '09 Catrike Trail had me riding on a 20" rear, then in 2011 I installed the UtahTrikes 26" conversion kit. The derailluer cage with the 20" wheel hung down almost 2 1/2 inches over the road surface, hardly any clearance when riding off road....with the 26" wheel the clearance is about 4inches, plenty of distance above rocks etc. Is the 26" flex a deterrent, do you even notice it on the road/trail....no. In 2013 I bought the Catrike Expedition (my forever trike)
Old 07-01-19, 11:32 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I've had both on different trikes. One is a Greenspeed GTO with three 406 wheels. I'd agree that the wheels are practically bulletproof when it comes to their ability to survive abuse but I don't knowingly abuse my trikes. The other is a Catrike 700 and yes it has wheel flex. No, I can't go over a 10" drop and land on the rear wheel with no damage to the wheel (did that accidentally on the GTO). The advantage to larger rear wheels is a higher gear range. My first trike with standard gearing and 20" drive wheel was 19 to 98 gear inches for the gear range. The GTO with Sram Dual-Drive and Schlump Mountain Drive is 14 to 132 GI. The Catrike 700 is 21.9 to 124.2 GI and that is without any internal gear hubs. I prefer standard gearing (no internal hubs) so chose the larger wheel for my current trike. I don't even notice the wheel flex when I turn sharply. It is behind me and out of view so, what does it matter?
Old 07-02-19, 04:32 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
After some months commuting on my Rambler GT, I've got a detailed review coming, but my answer to this question is I think bicycle wheels and tires are not good for trikes, but the miniature light-duty car-like alternative needed doesn't exist.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-02-19 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-03-19, 01:25 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
After some months commuting on my Rambler GT, I've got a detailed review coming, but my answer to this question is I think bicycle wheels and tires are not good for trikes, but the miniature light-duty car-like alternative needed doesn't exist.
Most trikes use slightly heavier duty spokes because of the differing load paths.

Schwalbe makes the Triker tire, but it doesn't seem to get very good reviews, so maybe it's just that no one has made the 'right' tire for trikes/velos yet.
Old 07-07-19, 08:57 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I have Schwalbe Big Apples all round on mine;
2in x 18s front
2.35 X 24 rear
It understeers on the limit but not as much as it did on the far skinnier Schwalbe Marathons I ran before. And it's smoother now (no suspension).
Old 07-10-19, 06:08 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Granted there may be some down sides to 26" wheels on the back of trikes, but the fact remains a 26" wheel gets the chain and RD much further up out of the dirt and trash. Then there is the fact that with a 26" rear wheel, you can use available mountain bike gearing.

Also there is no logical reason for it, but a trike with the 26" rear wheel just looks better.

Last edited by rydabent; 02-15-20 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-11-19, 05:07 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I think it's less of an issue with the following wheel being large, but the idea of a large wheel as the steerer... I mean my 18s understeer if pushed, can you imagine a pair of 700C understeering?!

The weight is transferred to the front corner on cornering, and all wheels stay on the ground over any terrain with a trike. So a pair of small steerer wheels at the front, and a large drive wheel at the rear, makes engineering sense to me - and most things that make engineering sense have natural good looks.
Old 07-18-19, 02:41 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
I think it's less of an issue with the following wheel being large, but the idea of a large wheel as the steerer... I mean my 18s understeer if pushed, can you imagine a pair of 700C understeering?!

The weight is transferred to the front corner on cornering, and all wheels stay on the ground over any terrain with a trike. So a pair of small steerer wheels at the front, and a large drive wheel at the rear, makes engineering sense to me - and most things that make engineering sense have natural good looks.
Agreed on both counts. Even with a fully enclosed drive train on my velo, I'm glad I went with the 26" rear for the slightly greater ground clearance. I still have go near the curb to get around some of the speed bumps, but it's got pretty good clearance. Not sure how I would get to work if I went with the Mango (20 inch all around).
Old 07-19-19, 02:20 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
On more reason to have a 26" rear wheel is you can have pretty much standard mountain bike gearing that is more available.